Should I start going to a BJJ class?

If you're just calm, gassing shouldn't be that big a deal.

Just go. Nothing I would type hasn't already been typed.

The sooner you start the happier you will be. Just talk privately with your instructor about yo confidence and health concerns and he will match you up with higher ranks who teach you and let you work.

Step foot on the mat and change your life. You will not regret it.

I can relate. I was in a similar situation. Then I started rolling and can't stop now. Martial Arts can help you get the focus on your life that you're looking for. You don't need to be saved or find jesus etc...

uh, yes you do :icon_twis

just get your ass to the gym and stop deliberating over it. hand over your credit card, sign the dotted line and commit yourself.

No, sit on your ass. Or do whatever you are already doing...

Last edited:
Try the intro class
Get nicotine patches, wear them under a rashguard if you keep bjj
Lose weight while training

Everyone typically thinks the way you do goin in. Hell i exercised from october '09 to feb 2010 before i joined. Guess what i still gassed out and got my ass handed to me. All in all i realized i should of just went to the gym in October. Trust me i know where your coming from as an ex smoker and out of shape person going in, but i promise don't worry about that stuff just get your ass in the gym and everything will come.

what this guy said. i was in what i'd say average physical condition starting up all my classes. day 1, by the time i got to bjj, my calves were cramping up just from the technique drills!

honestly, there's no better way to get in shape for bjj than to just start doing bjj. the same applies to any physical activity, really.

Its gonna be tough to get into BJJ shape without doing BJJ. Go take an intro class. See if you like it, and sign up if you do.

give it a shot. The worst thing that will happen is you wont like it, well i guess other stuff could happen that would be a lot worse but you get my point.

Hey man go get a gym membership and get a trainer there to help you out. You will feel alot better around people when you cut some weight. As for the cigs i battled that for 4 years then i quit smoking and started working out instead of smoking and at work on breaks i would do crunchs instead of smoking i mean its your will power that is at test there. I haven't had a cig in 3 years now and feel great. 6"3, 185lbs

Go try it and don't be one of those people that make it as you said "a life changing decision" if you go in with that attitude you will either get frustrated and quit or absorb yourself in it all the time get burnt out and quit. Take it for what it is and what your body can handle.

Go try it, do your best and for god's sake have fun. Odds are you aren't going to be a world champion based on the background info you gave but you can definitely have fun, get in shape make some good friends.

As for getting in shape it has already been said but in another light, if you want to get in shape for a marathon-run, if you want to get in shape for a triathlon- swim, bike and run, if you want to get in shape for a grappling sport- grapple. Don't be the guy that think thinks 40 minutes a day on an elliptical machine will get you ready. Odds are you will be training in an inefficient manner using either programs from muscle mags or old wives tales from people that will give you unsubstantiated "gym wisdom" that won't be the most beneficial training.

Hey man go get a gym membership and get a trainer there to help you out. You will feel alot better around people when you cut some weight. As for the cigs i battled that for 4 years then i quit smoking and started working out instead of smoking and at work on breaks i would do crunchs instead of smoking i mean its your will power that is at test there. I haven't had a cig in 3 years now and feel great. 6"3, 185lbs

Be careful with the trainer at a gym, most suck. They get a shake and bake certification, most have people doing at best bodybuilding type training along with LSD aerobic cardio completely ignoring power development and conditioning the anaerobic cardio endurance. At worst they are dangerous roided out idiots that get most their info from bodybuilding mags and don't know proper form or technique.

I'm not saying someone shouldn't get a personal trainer, just research them before you do. The Strength and Conditioning forum here is pretty good, some of the people are power nazis, but if you sort through the bantering you will get some good solid advice. Also I can't recommend strongly enough Rosstraining.com and eightweeksout.com not to mention Ripptoe. Also check out the strength/conditioning forum on Bullshido.com they don't have as much activity but have a couple of really knowledgeable people that can really help you as well.

log off sherdog, get out of your chair and go already :)

I'm going once I have the money. I'd go now but I have 20 dollars in my pocket and that's it. Thanks everybody, I haven't heard anything besides get your ass in there so that's precisely what I'm gonna do.

Back