Should I start going to a BJJ class?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Futz Brown, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Futz Brown

Futz Brown Purple Belt

I been tossing around the idea of going to BJJ classes for about a year now, and I should have a big influx of money soon so I was thinking about maybe starting pretty soon. My only problem is that I'm in terrible physical shape. I smoke a little over a pack a day and I'm overweight. I'm very easily winded. I was thinking that if I just went for it it'd be miserable and I wouldn't be into it, so taking some time to slim down a little and quit smoking.

I'm a pretty shy person and tend to have anxiety issues and trouble with people, so I figure losing some weight would help me in those areas too. The thought of enrolling in a class in the shape I'm in now is terrifying. So my current plan is shape up a little, quit smoking, and enroll sometime around the new year.

What do you think would be the right call?

2. Wandgun

Wandgun Orange Belt

Take an intro and see if you like it. If you like it then the weight will come off and you'll probably want to quit smoking to improve your cardio.

Sounds win win.

3. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

Sounds like excuses to be honest.
    Why wait?

Start BJJ today.
    Quit smoking today.
    Start losing that weight today.
    Never do something tomorrow that can be done....TODAY.

4. Haven

Haven White Belt

Everyone typically thinks the way you do goin in. Hell i exercised from october '09 to feb 2010 before i joined. Guess what i still gassed out and got my ass handed to me. All in all i realized i should of just went to the gym in October. Trust me i know where your coming from as an ex smoker and out of shape person going in, but i promise don't worry about that stuff just get your ass in the gym and everything will come.

5. juji gatame**

juji gatame** Brown Belt

Don't worry about all that stuff get signed up and train!!! You will not regret it.

6. Futz Brown

Futz Brown Purple Belt

It pretty much is excuses I guess but today isn't the best time for a lot of that. The money is coming from somewhere and that somewhere is about a month of ass busting hard labor. Ass busting hard labor will likely lead to me slimming down a bit, but I'm so used to having pretty much no responsibilities that the work has me shitting bricks. It's something I gotta do cause I been coasting for a while, and the money is great (at least a couple thousand)

A big part of me is convinced that getting started with something that's so outside my element like Jiu Jitsu combined with having a month of work that I'm so not used to is gonna be too much to handle, but if I were to manage all that it'd get my shit in order.

Sorry to be bringing personal shit in here as well, but being a person that has done basically nothing my entire life, enrolling would be a huge life change.

7. TalkShowOnMute

TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

That is your answer.

8. BigStaff

BigStaff Purple Belt

Nah, do something else.

Just kidding.. You'll never know till you try.

One more thing, people in a lot better shape then you have been humbled by the intensity of grappling in general. Get your ass in there and face your fears. I guarantee it has changed a lot of peoples life on this board but they had to take that first step...

9. awid

awid Red Belt

ts i just joined my first bjj school 2 weeks ago after not having grappled in about 8 years. i'd been running and weight lifting for over a year consistently but it was really irrelevant because i still got destroyed. my cardio is good and my body fat is low but it didnt do anything to stop me from getting wrecked by 45 year old, fat, middle age guys.

technique is 10x more important that strength and conditioning. start as soon as possible. i wish i did, but i thought the same way as u

10. Sicario**

Sicario** Banned Banned

I can relate. I was in a similar situation. Then I started rolling and can't stop now. Martial Arts can help you get the focus on your life that you're looking for. You don't need to be saved or find jesus etc...

11. Futz Brown

Futz Brown Purple Belt

Once I got my money I'm gonna do it I think. I don't have much to lose.

12. SLaKKJaW

SLaKKJaW Blue Belt

The people who I invite in and say "Sure, after I get in a little better shape" never go. And if they do, they're out after a couple sessions because it's too hard for them.

Don't get into better shape. For one, it will be a waste. You'll be doing stuff that won't help you with mat cardio or strength, most likely. For two, you either won't start working out to begin with or you won't ever feel ready to get on the mat.

As soon as the money comes in, get to the gym and get in a class. And when you're rolling, don't be a wuss. Know your limits, but when you start a roll, finish it to the best of your ability. Even if that just means defending as if for your life. Pussies quit when they're tired, grapplers push harder. If you don't feel like you're going to barf after class for your first few weeks then you're not working hard enough to get better.

Hope that doesn't scare you away..:wink:

13. cenix

cenix Orange Belt

everything is uncomfortable when you first start or make a change. just reflect on things in your past. it's not so hard after you get used to it, then you think to yourself that it wasn't that tough afterall. good luck.

14. TalkShowOnMute

TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

This is very true. I have yet to see any of the people that have said that actually show up. The truth is, whipping yourself into shape from a dead stop is not the easiest thing. If it was easy, you would never end up in the shape you are currently in. I try to tell them, if you train, you will get in shape not vice versa. Those who ignore this will never make it IMO.

Show up to train. Lose weight. Concurrently.

15. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

Everyone who I talk to that waits to train always regrets it and wishes they just started right away. The only thing that sucks is smelling smoke on the other person (this is a personal thing). But after rolling around for awhile, I'm sure that smell will probably wear off. :D

16. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

e-cigs are FOR THE WIN. pm me if you want one, I got the hook ups son.

[​IMG]

17. gocubs1815

gocubs1815 Black Belt

Definitly take an intro first.

BJJ is not for everyone. A lot of guys who think they are hot shit come into my place all the time and are gone after a month. It requires a certain level of mental toughness and commitment that other sports just don't require.

For you I'm not worried about the physical condition. That will come with time. The smoking doesn't help though, so you should quit either way.

18. 879lexus

879lexus Blue Belt

This!! It is hard for Everyone dude, go out there and make your life better. You only have one !

19. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

Don't wait for your money...

Intro lessons are usually free ( at least around here)

You already know you'll be winded , even if you were in the best shape your muscles wouldnt be prepared for total different excercise.

Over all Bjj guys are relaxed nobody will bully you , offcourse youll get tapped but it's totally up to you how long you wait to tap, so you actually almost dont have to feel any discomfort.

You always can takle a break if its to much , dont worry about all that stuff, just go there, you won't be the first.

Let go of you're ego , be humble and eager to learn and say thanks to everyone after a roll.

20. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

been my experience to