Should I eliminate all grains/carbs? Need advise.

Seriously, post your training routine. Specify lifts done, sets, reps & either weight used or the % of your 1RM used for that lift.

Seriously, post your training routine. Specify lifts done, sets, reps & either weight used or the % of your 1RM used for that lift.

This is basicaly it. Sometimes I mix it up though but this is the jist of my routine. I switch up the days I do these and mix the muscle groups up on diffrent days so I don't fall into a rut.

CHEST.

Bench Press 5 sets of 8 (180 max)
Inclined Bench Press 5 sets of 8 (80 pounds with dumbells)
Declined Bench Press 5 sets of 8 (80 pound with dumbells)
Flys 8 sets of 8 (60 pounds with dumbells)

ARMS

Dumbell curl (40 pounds) 4 sets of 8 each arm
Preacher Curls (100 pounds) 5 sets of 6
Concentration Curls (50 pounds) 5 sets of 5

SHOULDERS

Shoulder Press 5 sets of 8 (160 max)
Lateral sholder raise 5 sets of 8 (50 pounds with dumbells)
Pull up bar 5 sets of 10
Horizontal Shoulder Raise 5 sets of 8 (50 pounds with dumbells)

BACK

Seated Row Machine 8 sets of 8 (150 max)
Standing rows 8 sets of 8 (130 max)
Bentdown dumbell rows 8 sets of 8 (50 pound dumbell)

Abs

Crunches with 20 pound weight 4 sets of 25
Leg Raises 4 sets of 30
Reverse Crunches 4 sets of 20
Russian Twists 4 sets of 20
Dragonflags 1 set of 10

LEGS

Leg Press Machine 4 sets 0f 6 (300 max)
Lateral leg raise Machine 5 sets of 20 (110 max)
Calf Raise Machine 5 sets of 20 (80 max)
Deadlifts 4 sets of 8 (150 max)
Bulgarian deadlifts 4 sets of 8 (160 max)

Cardio

1 hour medium pace jog
Half hour run at 8/9 MPH
2 hour power hike with weighted back pack

Last edited:
This is basicaly it. Sometimes I mix it up though but this is the jist of my routine. I switch up the days I do these and mix the muscle groups up on diffrent days so I don't fall into a rut.

CHEST.

Bench Press 5 sets of 8 (180 max)
Inclined Bench Press 5 sets of 8 (80 pounds with dumbells)
Declined Bench Press 5 sets of 8 (80 pound with dumbells)
Flys 8 sets of 8 (60 pounds with dumbells)

ARMS

Dumbell curl (40 pounds) 4 sets of 8 each arm
Preacher Curls (100 pounds) 5 sets of 6
Concentration Curls (50 pounds) 5 sets of 5

SHOULDERS

Shoulder Press 5 sets of 8 (160 max)
Lateral sholder raise 5 sets of 8 (50 pounds with dumbells)
Pull up bar 5 sets of 10
Horizontal Shoulder Raise 5 sets of 8 (50 pounds with dumbells)

BACK

Seated Row Machine 8 sets of 8 (150 max)
Standing rows 8 sets of 8 (130 max)
Bentdown dumbell rows 8 sets of 8 (50 pound dumbell)

Abs

Crunches with 20 pound weight 4 sets of 25
Leg Raises 4 sets of 30
Reverse Crunches 4 sets of 20
Russian Twists 4 sets of 20
Dragonflags 1 set of 10

LEGS

Leg Press Machine 4 sets 0f 6 (300 max)
Lateral leg raise Machine 5 sets of 20 (110 max)
Calf Raise Machine 5 sets of 20 (80 max)
Deadlifts 4 sets of 8 (150 max)
Bulgarian deadlifts 4 sets of 8 (160 max)

Cardio

1 hour medium pace jog
Half hour run at 8/9 MPH
2 hour power hike with weighted back pack

That's not a routine. That's just listing all the shit you do at the gym.

I don't know if anyone remembers when I cut down to 155, but I posted some photos. Prior to cutting water weight, I was 160 lbs. I am 5'9". I looked ridiculously skinny. I can't imagine someone being 6'0" and 165 lbs and feeling fat.

LOL I weigh the same and I'm 5'6 and feel fine

That's about what I expected to see.
Option A: Head over to the Strength & Conditioning forum and read the http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/strength-power-faq-v2-0-a-1339105/. Thoroughly. After you've read that, pick one of those programs and do it.
Option B: Head to amazon.com and purchase Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training 2nd Edition

Please also note that I'm feeling extra friendly and supplied the links for Options A & B for you to make it easier.

Thankyou man. I appreciate this.

That's not a routine. That's just listing all the shit you do at the gym.

Um, I hate to look stupid but isn't that the same thing?

I prefaced it saying that I change what days I hit certain muscle groups if that helps..

ex Monday - Chest + Arms + Cardio
Tues - Cardio
Wen - Shoulders + Back
Thurs - Abs + Legs + Cardio
Fri - Off
Sat - Chest + Arms
Sun - Off

I'll change this everyweek.

Um, I hate to look stupid but isn't that the same thing?

I prefaced it saying that I change what days I hit certain muscle groups if that helps..

ex Monday - Chest + Arms + Cardio
Tues - Cardio
Wen - Shoulders + Back
Thurs - Abs + Legs + Cardio
Fri - Off
Sat - Chest + Arms
Sun - Off

I'll change this everyweek.

arms?? forget all of this and focus on the big boy lifts.

I'll be a little more blunt since I don't think you are getting it. Your routine sucks. It is no surprise that you aren't making gains. Follow the links ronin gave you.

I'll be a little more blunt since I don't think you are getting it. Your routine sucks. It is no surprise that you aren't making gains. Follow the links ronin gave you.

Well explain to me why it sucks. Sure I'm still a begginer but my brother basically constructed this and it seemed to work for him.

He's 5' 9'' and 205 and uses this, at much higher weights then me, (although he puts away about 4500 cal a day to, a bit more then me).

Last edited:
You need to read the links that ronin gave you. Your routine has a bunch of bullshit exercises while it's missing arguably the most valid exercise - Back Squats. Furthermore, you are delusional on what you said about your lifting. You said the following:

For the people saying I should lift more, I really do push my self in the weight room 4 times a week doing a low rep high weight routine.

Your routine is anything but "low rep, high weight". I only see one lift where you work sets of 5 or below, and it's concentration curls. Eat heavy, lift heavy. Read the links.

I also thought I knew what I was doing but my weak progress showed the truth. Point is your not very strong so that proves that your whole concept of working out is not working. Just goggle starting strength and do it and eat a lot, especially protein. Later you can diet down the fat and twist your training for that goal but first you need to gain some real muscle

Take a look at this :

T NATION | Most Lifters are Still Beginners

Generally if you do a lot of exercises and reps you will likely not improve the weight you lift, too much volume equals low numbers you can lift. Better take a program that is proven and established.

1) I was not aware of this. So I should be eating like 100+ grams of good fats? I was under the impression that high fat diets were a no no?

2) No not exactly. I don't know where that number came from. I get in at least 200 grams a day.

3) To clear things up, my carb intake is 150-200 from grains like whole wheat pasta and brown rice. I get another 250 or so from fruits and oatmeal.

For the people saying I should lift more, I really do push my self in the weight room 4 times a week doing a low rep high weight routine.

I think your overestimating your caloric intake, your low bodyweight weight indicates so.
250 grams of carbs from fruit and oatmeal is like 300 grams of oatmeal and 4 bananas, I have a feeling you don't eat that along with your whole grain but rather you hope you are getting all those calories in.

Back