Should I do BJJ while at university?

thegamer96

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Going to university soon and wondering whether doing BJJ while I'm living away studying would be a good idea?

There isn't any BJJ club attached to the university, but there is one about a mile away. There's also a boxing club nearby which I'll do.

Of course you should. No other time in your life will you have the freedom you have right now.

Of course you should. No other time in your life will you have the freedom you have right now.

I'll also be doing boxing as a combination.

I want to do BJJ/Boxing as a hobbyist, but I also don't want to miss out at socializing at university. I don't like partying and that stuff, but I want to make this work so that it doesn't become a chore, if you know what I mean.

I do it, it's been no problem. About a 15 minute drive from my house.

I do it, it's been no problem. About a 15 minute drive from my house.

My university is an hour and 45 minutes away from my parents house. I'll be living at university.

How do you find time management?

My university is an hour and 45 minutes away from my parents house. I'll be living at university.

How do you find time management?

Well pretty much every day( before summer) I'd get the bus home from uni and be home usually before 4.30(sometimes I'd be home at 1 or 2) and then I'd leave at 5.30 to get the bus back into town where BJJ is on. Then I'd get the bus back. I only started driving this summer so it'll make things easier for me if I can get parking at university when it starts.,

Well pretty much every day( before summer) I'd get the bus home from uni and be home usually before 4.30(sometimes I'd be home at 1 or 2) and then I'd leave at 5.30 to get the bus back into town where BJJ is on. Then I'd get the bus back. I only started driving this summer so it'll make things easier for me if I can get parking at university when it starts.,

How does it balance with the social life at university?

Bro. Train, it's only an 1 to 2 hours a day. You don't need to live at the gym. Or even go every day

When I was in college I thought I was so swamped when in reality I've never had as much free time since.

You'll never have as much free time as you do at uni if you can't make time for BJJ then you never will.

I used to live 2 bus rides from my BJJ gym so I used to go for a 3 hour class. I went straight from work and got there for 6pm for the fundamentals class, then at 7 was an hour of technique and drills and the final hour was sparring. So I'd leave at 9 and get home for 10.30pm

So with working as well I was leaving the house at 7am and getting home at 10.30pm 3 days a week.

If you're only a mile away and don't have the commitments of a 40 hour a week job you can easy make it work. I wish I'd started at uni.

what?!

I'm studying engineering and for the past 5 years I trained 4x, maybe 5x times a week.
It's not a big deal...Just watch classes and skip training to study for exams.
Party on the weekends.

I'm gonna miss this period of my life once work starts :icon_sad:

Bjj helped me get through my upper classman years without going insane. Rolling and getting better and getting the chance to choke people stopped me from choking other people.

You don't need to be a 5 day a week, 2+ hours each time kind of guy. Get in there even just 2-3 times a week, take a week off when projects or exams take too much of your time, get back in there when you're feeling burnt out. Going to an exam with a gym bag and going straight to the mats afterwards was always an awesome feeling.

Basically you just sacrifice TV/Video game time to train. Oh the horror

Yes. Didn't read your post. But the answer is always yes. If you have an opportunity to train and it's not a health risk, do it.

You can definitely make the time to train BJJ. Hell, you'll likely have the time to cross train with some university judo club at the same time.

Do it now before you get a career, wife, and kids. Then you will have no time for it.

I envy the guys in college who can attend all the classes and open mats. They get good so much faster than the old guys who have responsibilities.

"I have a question f12, should I wipe back to front, or front to back?"

I've made more friends from a year at my university Judo club than I have from three years on my course.

I've always made a bunch of friends training. Real friends too, and not the fickle "here and it's gone" type of friend the vast majority of college relationships are.

Also I think some of you motherfuckers are crazy. I have waaaay more free time now that I'm (mostly) done school than I ever did in college.

Back