Should I buy this?

fuck no.. 3 accidents?

bmw maintenance is also crazy expensive.. i have Z4

I'd be leery on spending that much money on something with 85k miles. For modern cars, that's about when all of the expensive repairs start and major things start failing. Nice SUV but you'll probably only get 10k-15k miles out of it before you'll need to spend thousands to replace the transmission.

Gonna go check this out after work..... 2008, little more $$$, same miles as BMW, 3rd row, 6.2 growl.

67b6c0b9618b8156a59eae841ec4a080.jpg

Maybe I'm alone in this, but please please dont buy this over the BMW......dont buy this over ANYTHING really...

3 accidents on that particular BMW though is a massiveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee red flag. I wouldn't pay anywhere near what you are considering. Things can look perfectly in alignment, but if the frame is even 1-3 cm off it can cause massive problems down the road.

So, I am in the market for a used SUV. I don't ask advice on here too often, but I just want to know some peoples opinion on this vehicle below.

My requirements are:
  • V8 (Needs to be able to pull roughly 4,000lbs)
  • Seating for family of four (SUV, it has this)
  • Fully Loaded (I like leather, heated seats, Nav and Backup Cams)
  • $20,000 limit (As long as I get $5,000 trade in on my car, which KBB says 6k-7k trade-in)
I found this gem with a rare (for my area) M5 package, so it looks fucking BEAUTIFUL.

d4ba47cc00855894b2e654e40c320b7d.jpg

Its a 2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i, fully loaded with a Twin Turbo V8, and 85,000 miles on it. It has 3 fender benders on the Carfax, it was a NYC vehicle since it came off the line, so fender benders and light cosmetic damage is fully expected to me. They are asking $16,000.

Went and looked at the car, and it looks great. It has a small ding in it, and the premium wheels have a few pits from salted roads (which all my trucks I ever had with chrome/premium wheels also had, because I don't take care of my shit like I should). The body lines were all straight, all the doors opened/closed great, same with the hood. Exterior wise, I am perfectly fine with the way it looks. It's fucking beautiful.

Thing drove like an absolute fucking champ. When the boost kicks in, my god, this thing is fucking awesome. Handles perfect, tires in great shape, and the overall feel was just plain ole awesome. It will definitely pull boat/ATV's and feel good doing it.

Here, to me, is the kicker. I am not a "fancy" guy. I have always had "American made vehicles". Ford and Dodge my whole life. Parts and shit that went wrong were relatively cheap and were easy to fix, pretty inexpensive. I am not sure if I want to jump into something like this that will have higher maintenance costs, and potential larger downsides. We are financially stable and could afford it if something went south, but not 100% sure I want to risk something like this.

What say ya'll Sherdoggers? Would you poor folk take the risk with a BMW? Have you rich folk who owned an X5 or any other BMW for that matter have good experiences with it?

Side Note - Easily able to tune the CPU for another 90HP and more torgue. If I do get this and the first year goes well, I am tuning this bitch and probably getting exhaust, because I still feel like a lil kid inside when it comes to HP/speed and shit.

And sure, I am poor....

TLDR - Should I buy a used BMW with 85,000 miles on it for $16,000, and let's discuss the risks involved.
lol@that soccer mom faux SUV. If you're gonna get a large SUV, there is only one choice.
toyota-land-cruiser-80-series-off-road-fail-not-as-invincible-as-legend-has-it_3.jpg

No other SUV for sale today at this size can do this. This is why safari wranglers and terrorists alike prefer the Land Cruiser. It may cost more than the x5 initially, but it has the best resale value of any car so you'll be saving money in the end. Accept no substitutes.

BMW and Merc Suv's are really sissy. Audi diesels are ok but their gasoline suv's are just tarted up VW's.

Get a Lexus suv. It will never have an issue ever and u can Get it maintenance by Toyata dealers / mechanics

100k service is coming up on it which will be a few thouand bucks on a BMW. If it already had the 100k service done sure go for it, if not pass unless you can get them to provide the 100k service.
(100k service is timing chain, water pump, oil pump, guides, rollers,tensioners etc)

Get a Suburban dude. They last forever, only issue I have with the used ones is finding something with less that 100k miles on it. People drive the fuck out of those things.

But.. for towing and family hauling? Yeah, get a Suburban

Get an 80s model Suburban. You can pick up an ugly one for probably 2 grand, tops. Spend 3-4 grand redoing the body (new panels and a full over paint job). Prolly a thousand on the motor just to make sure it all works as you WILL want AC in the damn thing. 4 inch suspension lift, bigger all weather tires. Maybe another 2 grand. Or skip that step and just get something aggressive looking for funsies that fits.

There. Now you have a nice family hauler that looks nice, enough power to tow that boat, and is built to survive anything short of a direct hit from a fucking 100 Megaton nuclear bomb for half your budget. Spend the rest on a nice vacation, or a nice boat, or new tits for the wife, whatever.

You sound like you're already in love with this car, so whatever alternative you choose, you'll always be a little disappointed inside.

But from a purely logical perspective, you shouldn't buy it.

In theory, if you're paying a premium price then it should be justified by a higher quality product. From a maintenance perspective, BMWs are actually lower quality than cheaper alternatives. You're paying that extra money for the "appearance" of higher quality.

But let's talk about that appearance, shall we?
You've already said it has a ding or two, right? And also some pits from the salted road. You've also admitted that you don't take care of your shit like you should.

So this leads me to believe that in a few years you're going to end up with one of the shittier looking BMWs on the road. Because people who typically drive BMWs can afford to replace them often.

If you are driving a toyota truck, or Dodge, or Chevy, people will see the dings and just think it's normal. It means you're using the truck as you should.

If you're driving a BMW with dings, it kind of stands out. Like, "here's a guy that inherited his dad's car but can't afford to maintain it."

Get an 80s model Suburban. You can pick up an ugly one for probably 2 grand, tops. Spend 3-4 grand redoing the body (new panels and a full over paint job). Prolly a thousand on the motor just to make sure it all works as you WILL want AC in the damn thing. 4 inch suspension lift, bigger all weather tires. Maybe another 2 grand. Or skip that step and just get something aggressive looking for funsies that fits.

There. Now you have a nice family hauler that looks nice, enough power to tow that boat, and is built to survive anything short of a direct hit from a fucking 100 Megaton nuclear bomb for half your budget. Spend the rest on a nice vacation, or a nice boat, or new tits for the wife, whatever.

Yeah, nothing made now is gonna top a good ol 454. I do dig the 09’s and 10’s Suburbans tho.

But yeah, for towing over a period of time you’re gonna want the big boy frame and suspension of a Suburban -regardless of era- that little Beemer may ‘technically’ be able to tow that load, but I wouldn’t recommend doing it with that thing consistently. There’s a reason why almost every boat owner I know has a Suburban or heavy duty truck to tow that kinda stuff.

So, I am in the market for a used SUV. I don't ask advice on here too often, but I just want to know some peoples opinion on this vehicle below.

My requirements are:
  • V8 (Needs to be able to pull roughly 4,000lbs)
  • Seating for family of four (SUV, it has this)
  • Fully Loaded (I like leather, heated seats, Nav and Backup Cams)
  • $20,000 limit (As long as I get $5,000 trade in on my car, which KBB says 6k-7k trade-in)
I found this gem with a rare (for my area) M5 package, so it looks fucking BEAUTIFUL.

d4ba47cc00855894b2e654e40c320b7d.jpg

Its a 2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i, fully loaded with a Twin Turbo V8, and 85,000 miles on it. It has 3 fender benders on the Carfax, it was a NYC vehicle since it came off the line, so fender benders and light cosmetic damage is fully expected to me. They are asking $16,000.

Went and looked at the car, and it looks great. It has a small ding in it, and the premium wheels have a few pits from salted roads (which all my trucks I ever had with chrome/premium wheels also had, because I don't take care of my shit like I should). The body lines were all straight, all the doors opened/closed great, same with the hood. Exterior wise, I am perfectly fine with the way it looks. It's fucking beautiful.

Thing drove like an absolute fucking champ. When the boost kicks in, my god, this thing is fucking awesome. Handles perfect, tires in great shape, and the overall feel was just plain ole awesome. It will definitely pull boat/ATV's and feel good doing it.

Here, to me, is the kicker. I am not a "fancy" guy. I have always had "American made vehicles". Ford and Dodge my whole life. Parts and shit that went wrong were relatively cheap and were easy to fix, pretty inexpensive. I am not sure if I want to jump into something like this that will have higher maintenance costs, and potential larger downsides. We are financially stable and could afford it if something went south, but not 100% sure I want to risk something like this.

What say ya'll Sherdoggers? Would you poor folk take the risk with a BMW? Have you rich folk who owned an X5 or any other BMW for that matter have good experiences with it?

Side Note - Easily able to tune the CPU for another 90HP and more torgue. If I do get this and the first year goes well, I am tuning this bitch and probably getting exhaust, because I still feel like a lil kid inside when it comes to HP/speed and shit.

And sure, I am poor....

TLDR - Should I buy a used BMW with 85,000 miles on it for $16,000, and let's discuss the risks involved.

I love an X5, that looks a beast

I had a new 3 series m sport a few month back and it was a good car, never any trouble with it
Servicing was expensive and tyres were a bastard (19inch runflats)

Fuck it, take a punt

Back