Should I buy this?

SheetsMMAfan

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So, I am in the market for a used SUV. I don't ask advice on here too often, but I just want to know some peoples opinion on this vehicle below.

My requirements are:
  • V8 (Needs to be able to pull roughly 4,000lbs)
  • Seating for family of four (SUV, it has this)
  • Fully Loaded (I like leather, heated seats, Nav and Backup Cams)
  • $20,000 limit (As long as I get $5,000 trade in on my car, which KBB says 6k-7k trade-in)
I found this gem with a rare (for my area) M5 package, so it looks fucking BEAUTIFUL.

d4ba47cc00855894b2e654e40c320b7d.jpg

Its a 2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i, fully loaded with a Twin Turbo V8, and 85,000 miles on it. It has 3 fender benders on the Carfax, it was a NYC vehicle since it came off the line, so fender benders and light cosmetic damage is fully expected to me. They are asking $16,000.

Went and looked at the car, and it looks great. It has a small ding in it, and the premium wheels have a few pits from salted roads (which all my trucks I ever had with chrome/premium wheels also had, because I don't take care of my shit like I should). The body lines were all straight, all the doors opened/closed great, same with the hood. Exterior wise, I am perfectly fine with the way it looks. It's fucking beautiful.

Thing drove like an absolute fucking champ. When the boost kicks in, my god, this thing is fucking awesome. Handles perfect, tires in great shape, and the overall feel was just plain ole awesome. It will definitely pull boat/ATV's and feel good doing it.

Here, to me, is the kicker. I am not a "fancy" guy. I have always had "American made vehicles". Ford and Dodge my whole life. Parts and shit that went wrong were relatively cheap and were easy to fix, pretty inexpensive. I am not sure if I want to jump into something like this that will have higher maintenance costs, and potential larger downsides. We are financially stable and could afford it if something went south, but not 100% sure I want to risk something like this.

What say ya'll Sherdoggers? Would you poor folk take the risk with a BMW? Have you rich folk who owned an X5 or any other BMW for that matter have good experiences with it?

Side Note - Easily able to tune the CPU for another 90HP and more torgue. If I do get this and the first year goes well, I am tuning this bitch and probably getting exhaust, because I still feel like a lil kid inside when it comes to HP/speed and shit.

And sure, I am poor....

TLDR - Should I buy a used BMW with 85,000 miles on it for $16,000, and let's discuss the risks involved.

Nice ride for sure.

Just be aware of how expensive any work on that will be, including oil changes even.

Twin turbo V8 just to pull 4000 pounds? Just admit you want a V8 to have a V8.

Twin turbo V8 just to pull 4000 pounds? Just admit you want a V8 to have a V8.

I would possibly pull more, depending on the EXACT boat I buy next year and how many ATV's I will be hauling. I enjoy overkill. I don't want to be the dude in the right lane going 15mph up hill in a PoS.

I don’t know a lot about problems BMW have long term. I know a few friends that had nothing but trouble with Audi, I’m a Chevy owner for decades.
Sounds like it passes all your tests, I wish I could give a more definitive answer other than follow your heart on this one.

Nice ride for sure.

Just be aware of how expensive any work on that will be, including oil changes even.

I drive roughly 10k miles a year, so depending on what oil I use, I would need 1-2 oil changes per year. I am hoping it's not astronomical.

I have a 540i Msport, and it is very expensive to maintain and is unreliable. I like the earlier straight 6 engines (m20,m30,m50) but not the V8s. I race BMWs and own them. That X5 will tow 4k just fine, and will look very nice and seat 4 people just fine. Just be ready for lots of things breaking and it being extremely expensive to repair.

I drive roughly 10k miles a year, so depending on what oil I use, I would need 1-2 oil changes per year. I am hoping it's not astronomical.
If I remember correctly, most BMWs don't need oil changes as often as the average vehicle.

I don’t know a lot about problems BMW have long term. I know a few friends that had nothing but trouble with Audi, I’m a Chevy owner for decades.
Sounds like it passes all your tests, I wish I could give a more definitive answer other than follow your heart on this one.

Heart is 50/50. My manliness is 150% onboard.... V8, twin turbo, the look...

I have a 540i Msport, and it is very expensive to maintain and is unreliable. I like the earlier straight 6 engines (m20,m30,m50) but not the V8s. I race BMWs and own them. That X5 will tow 4k just fine, and will look very nice and seat 4 people just fine. Just be ready for lots of things breaking and it being extremely expensive to repair.

People like you are those I wanna hear from. Thanks for the info man. Not sure if these risks are worth it. I could get a lemon, or I could get extremely lucky and not need much over the course of owning it....

Regardless of the brand/make, reliability is always a roll of the dice. Don't know if these dice are worth rolling or not seeing that the potential downside is much larger.

Heart is 50/50. My manliness is 150% onboard.... V8, twin turbo, the look...
Just go for it, if you don’t like it trade it in on something else I guess. Post pics of you drifting and jumping it and racing Azn from street outlaws in his Jeeper Sleeper.

I would possibly pull more, depending on the EXACT boat I buy next year and how many ATV's I will be hauling. I enjoy overkill. I don't want to be the dude in the right lane going 15mph up hill in a PoS.

That V8 will be murder on fuel in the city

Just go for it, if you don’t like it trade it in on something else I guess. Post pics of you drifting and jumping it and racing Azn from street outlaws in his Jeeper Sleeper.

That's what I am thinking. At this price, I can just go for it and trade it in down the road after a few $650 oil changes. Mini mid life crisis over.

That V8 will be murder on fuel in the city

Yeah, I am prepared for this. I come from big trucks and SUVs, last 7 years being my first car in god knows how long. Use to getting 13-16 MPG, was use to getting that in my diesel when prices were through the roof too. I don't live in a city though, mostly long road driving to work.

So, I am in the market for a used SUV. I don't ask advice on here too often, but I just want to know some peoples opinion on this vehicle below.

My requirements are:
  • V8 (Needs to be able to pull roughly 4,000lbs)
  • Seating for family of four (SUV, it has this)
  • Fully Loaded (I like leather, heated seats, Nav and Backup Cams)
  • $20,000 limit (As long as I get $5,000 trade in on my car, which KBB says 6k-7k trade-in)
I found this gem with a rare (for my area) M5 package, so it looks fucking BEAUTIFUL.

d4ba47cc00855894b2e654e40c320b7d.jpg

Its a 2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i, fully loaded with a Twin Turbo V8, and 85,000 miles on it. It has 3 fender benders on the Carfax, it was a NYC vehicle since it came off the line, so fender benders and light cosmetic damage is fully expected to me. They are asking $16,000.

Went and looked at the car, and it looks great. It has a small ding in it, and the premium wheels have a few pits from salted roads (which all my trucks I ever had with chrome/premium wheels also had, because I don't take care of my shit like I should). The body lines were all straight, all the doors opened/closed great, same with the hood. Exterior wise, I am perfectly fine with the way it looks. It's fucking beautiful.

Thing drove like an absolute fucking champ. When the boost kicks in, my god, this thing is fucking awesome. Handles perfect, tires in great shape, and the overall feel was just plain ole awesome. It will definitely pull boat/ATV's and feel good doing it.

Here, to me, is the kicker. I am not a "fancy" guy. I have always had "American made vehicles". Ford and Dodge my whole life. Parts and shit that went wrong were relatively cheap and were easy to fix, pretty inexpensive. I am not sure if I want to jump into something like this that will have higher maintenance costs, and potential larger downsides. We are financially stable and could afford it if something went south, but not 100% sure I want to risk something like this.

What say ya'll Sherdoggers? Would you poor folk take the risk with a BMW? Have you rich folk who owned an X5 or any other BMW for that matter have good experiences with it?

Side Note - Easily able to tune the CPU for another 90HP and more torgue. If I do get this and the first year goes well, I am tuning this bitch and probably getting exhaust, because I still feel like a lil kid inside when it comes to HP/speed and shit.

And sure, I am poor....

TLDR - Should I buy a used BMW with 85,000 miles on it for $16,000, and let's discuss the risks involved.
Are you buying this for your wife? Cause it looks like your buying this for your wife.

Also, No you should never buy a used luxury car, It is one of the worst investments around. You have no warranty and any sort of work will cost an arm and a leg.

Yeah, I am prepared for this. I come from big trucks and SUVs, last 7 years being my first car in god knows how long. Use to getting 13-16 MPG, was use to getting that in my diesel when prices were through the roof too.

I recommend getting a truck if you want to do a bunch of towing and ATV hauling. Better at pulling, more fuel efficient, and cheaper to maintain, and you got way more space to store all your gear if you are doing a bunch of outdoor activities. I have just went through the same thing and looking back a SUV would have been a horrible pick.

You sound like someone who is far too concerned with what other people think of him. If I'm in my car with my wife we are talking to each other, not worrying what strangers in traffic think of us...

Back