Should i bump up a skill division

beachgrappler

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Question for you all. Current two stripe white belt here who has been traiing for about 6 months. I took 3rd in dec 07 in gi and no gi at a local tournament here in myrtle beach, sc. This march i took 1st in gi and no gi at another local tourament here in gi and no gi. This was in the begineer division. Next tournament is in june and im guessing i will still be a white belt then but should i try out the next level, intermediate division, or is it considered rude to bump up without the actual belt level. Thanks for any input!

in no gi, who cares. Its much better to test yourself than to sandbag. Why not I say :) I would respect the belt and still do white belt gi though.

are you competing in the Pendergrass tourney saturday

i don't think i will be able to make it to the pedergrass but there is another tourny in wilmington, nc on the 22nd. It is only no gi for that tournament i believe.

Intermediate FTW. I went in intermediate after 3 months of training just for the challenge. I won my first match and got rocked in the next 2. I would rather lose in intermediate/advanced then win at novice/beginner. It will make you better in the long run.

i would do intermediate... i got my blue belt the week before my last tourney and i did intermediate gi and no-gi... (got my blue only after 7 mths though, so still a newb)

yeah i think i will do the intermediate, i also wrestled for a few years in high school when i was living in new jersey. Begin was just a bit too easy, probably cause it was a smaller tournament when compared to naga and such. Thanks for the advice guys.

If you're asking if you should go up a skill level it probably means you should. Unless you have a really unrealistic view of your abilities, but if you're being honest with yourself (and I think you are, if you placed in a nogi tournament).

Really, it is way better to challenge yourself and step up than to sandbag. By sandbagging you're not really accomplishing anything and you're ruining that division for the people who belong there.

Don't sandbag, it will just make you look bad. You're game will improve a lot by going up in skill division as well, so it'll be worth it for you.

yeah i think i will do the intermediate, i also wrestled for a few years in high school when i was living in new jersey. Begin was just a bit too easy, probably cause it was a smaller tournament when compared to naga and such. Thanks for the advice guys.

If you wrestled in high school usually you are spoused to do intermediate anyways.

i don't think i will be able to make it to the pedergrass but there is another tourny in wilmington, nc on the 22nd. It is only no gi for that tournament i believe.

Dude, where you there when that chick got her arm snapped? That shit was sick. One of my training partners took 1st in Masters Gi.

Back