Should I be working or going to grad school?

Dan1027

White Belt
Reaction score
I graduated last May with a degree in history and economics. I am certified to teach high school social studies and middle school, but there are no jobs out there in teaching. I enrolled in a masters of accounting program and already completed a semester, with good grades. I am now having doubts whether I am doing the right thing.

Should I be working somewhere and building myself upwards? Should I be concentrating solely on finding a place to work in? Is it just a waste of money continuing to go to school?

I don't hate accounting, but after hearing from interviewers that they weigh personality more than education, I am beginning to think I am taking out students loans unnecessarily by going to graduate school. A lot of people in supervisory positions have liberal arts degrees and I don't know if education matters any more.

it depends what job you want. if you want to be an accountant, you'll probably need a master's and you'll need to be a cpa.

heard a couple of execs saying they prefer fresh grads because they're easier to lowball, & people with raw experience know better.

why dont you try to find a job that will help you pay for your masters.

please dont tell me you're one of those people who's still "in college" in their mid 20's. why not get a job and go to school?

If your a semester in already just take time off imo.Furthermore go to work and get work experience.There are some jobs that want you working during the time you apply.So go for it.Besides with student debt etc etc,just go out and get the work experience.My two cents.

why dont you try to find a job that will help you pay for your masters.

please dont tell me you're one of those people who's still "in college" in their mid 20's. why not get a job and go to school?

I worked as an assistant manager for a small construction company for 3 years then was laid off. I student-taught while an undergrad and taught a summer school class, but there is no future for recent teaching grads.

If I could find a firm that will help pay for a masters that would be a utopian society for me. I am 25 and at the point of my life where I just want to get started on a career. I don't know whether a masters pays off in the long run and is worth the money or whether one has to simply hook himself onto a company and put in the time to get somewhere.

I worked as an assistant manager for a small construction company for 3 years then was laid off. I student-taught while an undergrad and taught a summer school class, but there is no future for recent teaching grads.

If I could find a firm that will help pay for a masters that would be a utopian society for me. I am 25 and at the point of my life where I just want to get started on a career. I don't know whether a masters pays off in the long run and is worth the money or whether one has to simply hook himself onto a company and put in the time to get somewhere.

isn't it messed up knowing that in an attempt to better yourself, you might be hurting yourself at the same time?

at 25 i would start working. a grad degree could always some later, while a career can't. today, a masters can actually scare off potential employers.

IMO, in America, as a guy who has two Masters, I think anything above Bachelors should really be done if you LOOOVE the subject or if someone is paying for all the tuition.

Back