Should Herb Dean have taken a point away for the eye poke?

TravisTee

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I still can't understand why the UFC and athletic commissions are so lax on the whole eye pokes issue.

This is a move that leads to permanent injuries and I'm sure huge medical costs to the injured opponent and yet repeated eye pokes only get repeated warnings?

Herb should have warned Jones and DC before the fight that any eye pokes would result in an immediate point being taken away. Obviously Jones is a repeat offender here in that he does this in basically every bout so its a well known issue that he is a dirty fighter.

While were at it lets just DQ anyone who kicks in the groin.

I still can't understand why the UFC and athletic commissions are so lax on the whole eye pokes issue.

This is a move that leads to permanent injuries and I'm sure huge medical costs to the injured opponent and yet repeated eye pokes only get repeated warnings?

Herb should have warned Jones and DC before the fight that any eye pokes would result in an immediate point being taken away. Obviously Jones is a repeat offender here in that he does this in basically every bout so its a well known issue that he is a dirty fighter.

Even if a point was taken, it only happened once and Jones won four rounds.
Do the math, it wouldnt have changed anything.

Yes. If he knows he can get away with one then there's no incentive not to try it.

No. The first one is always a warning and it's good enough.

Every fighter know the rules, if you want to take a point right away you should do it for everything, like a kick to the balls.

Should you get a point deduction when grabbing the fence?

When kicking the groin?

When holding your opponents gear?

When...when...

No.

You get a warning, and that's it.

Don't hate on Jones. He's not dirtier than any fighter out there. He's just better and therefore gettiing called out more often.

No. The first one is always a warning and it's good enough.

Every fighter know the rules, if you want to take a point right away you should do it for everything, like a kick to the balls.

The problem is he is a repeat offender. It's stupid to think he gets one free eye poke per fight.

Not to mention that eye poke seemed to change the entire momentum of the fight.

Reputation fouls aren't cool

In other words, "Herb should have warned Jones and DC that TravisTee will be butthurt by the inevitable result of this fight and therefore it's his job as ref to level the playing field and take points away from Jones cuzuv an internet poster's sore balloon knot."

In other words, "Herb should have warned Jones and DC that TravisTee will be butthurt by the inevitable result of this fight and therefore it's his job as ref to level the playing field and take points away from Jones cuzuv an internet poster's sore balloon knot."

Uh no. Jones is a phenomenal fighter and deserved the win. However allowing one free eye poke per match is bullshit.

The problem is he is a repeat offender. It's stupid to think he gets one free eye poke per fight.

This. He literally does it every fight. NO I'M NOT SAYING DC WOULD HAVE WON WITHOUT THE EYE POKE. But seriously. Every. Single. Fight.

I agree that Jones is a repeat offender, but don't remember him ever getting a point deduction.

If they want to deduct point right away the UFC should then make it clear that if you received a warning on your last fight or two last fights, you'll receive a point deduction right away. Kind like they do with the yellow cards in soccer games.

But again, it should be clear to everyone. Can't have one judge deciding if this guy is a ofender or not right there on the spot.

its not as if his reach needs an extra couple inches with the fingers.

Dean stopped the fight, gave DC time to recover, and gave a thorough explanation to Jones about the change he needed to make in technique to avoid eye-poking. He also gave him a warning.

DC and Jones, who hated each other, showed respect after the foul.

I think it couldn't have played out much better than that, but I wonder how Jones would have responded mentally if he had lost a point.

This,

almost every fight he eye pokes someone,, just like Congo is going to get his kick to the boys in at some point..

The problem is this stuff can and has changed the outcome of a fight.. Rumble was putting a beating on Koscheck until he got eye poked.. Lost his steam and his neck to a choke..

Back