Should Gaethe get the next title shot without fighting someone?

Hasn’t won a fight in a year, so absolutely not.

The only very rare circumstance where a fighter comes off a loss and fights for the title is if the consensus is that he lost a controversial decision ,ie split decision, or he lost by DQ ie Yan

He’s coming off a loss to Khabib and has been sitting out with the rest of the top 5 booked.

Should he have to fight RDA or Islam for the next shot?

Or should he be allowed to wait for another title shot coming off a loss?

What do you think?

Love Gaethje but needs to fight. Even for his own sake he should get a fight in. RDA would be my choice at this point.

If it was up to me, less a draw or controversial outcome, two wins would be mandatory.

IMO it depends on the circumstances.

What’s unique here is obviously Khabib. Whoever becomes champion will not have beaten the guy who beat DP, JG and Conor.

After this much time, I agree that they should all get back on track before fighting for the title, but IMO neither Chandler nor Oliveira decisively leapfrogged them. Gaethje should fight now. If Poirier beats Conor, he should go next. If not, Justin should (with a good win).

He should fight Islam IMO or the loser of the title fight.
Gaethje v Islam makes sense.
Everyone else is matched up around him so unless he wants to wait it out which essentially puts a title fight on the back burner until 2022, he needs to be active and he needs a fight that can put him back in line for a title shot.
Islam and possibly RDA are the only fights that fit that bill

He should. He’s still the #2 best in the division.

Losing Khabib doesn’t count since he makes everyone look like noobs anyway.

I'm one of the biggest Gaethje fanboys there is and I think he needs atleast one big win before he gets another crack.

I think him and Hooker would be a bloodbath so I'd be down for that, not sure that's enough for him to get another title fight though. One of the losers in the Poirier/McGregor or Chandler/Oliveira fights would make a lot of sense too but that might be a long wait.

If conor wins, yes. If Dustin wins, no. Dustin beat him. Gaethje deserves it over conor. Not Dustin.

If it was up to me, less a draw or controversial outcome, two wins would be mandatory.

This. I'd argue that one of the biggest problems with matchmaking in the UFC is allowing guys to fight for a title because they are considered elite, rightly or wrongly. Is Gaethje a top tier LW right now? Sure, but that should not be enough. You gots to have those wins.

Back