Should former Champion be able to come back after 4 year layoff and pick title fights as he pleases?

If you want the UFC to be legitimate the answer is no.

If you want to make loads of money then the answer is yes to GSP.

How many fighters have retired at the top of their game with a belt in UFC history?

Other than gsp the only one I can recall is Frank shamrock

So this is pretty hypothetical. The irony is the most fighters fight far too long and go out with multiple losses.

Gsp's situation is unique

Good topic, TS.

I can see an argument either way, but it's all about context. If someone like Holloway, DC, or Bones didn't fight for 4 years, I wouldn't mind seeing them come back to an immediate title fight.

However, I agree with OP about Dana telling GSP to kick rocks. GSP is a bore, he cherrypicked Bisping, and he gets a pass for holding up the division - which had several worthy contenders - for over a year, while the match was being negotiated.
HE didnt hold up anything. 1 he told the UFC he was injured and couldn't fight in the summer and 2. Bisping himself was injured as well.

GSP is widely considered top 2 if not 1 in GOAT discussions and he draws. Any fighter that can do what GSP can do deserves to call their own shots and they will.

Lets say Max defended 145 title 7 more times... And retires with

10 title defences

19 straight wins

Being as flexible (big) as Max Holloway is... If he decides to come back after a 4 year layoff, should he be allowed to get title shots back to back with opponents of his choice and in different weight class. One at 155 and the other at 170

I like to think of things like this. If everyone did it, would it be a problem? Imagine you had a bunch of dominant champions retire early, and then comeback after years to pick the best opponent for them to get a belt back, (Ideally the guy thats blind from one eye)... And skip every fighter thats been kicking ass and hungry for TS.

I dont like the entire concept of what GSP is doing, and Im glad Dana is telling him to fuck off. Now hes trying to drain himself to 155 to pick on smaller fighter
Honestly...I don't think I like it either, but the UFC will do whatever makes the most money. If no one buys the Brock-DC fight they probably wouldn't have Brock back every couple of years, but we damn well know it will be purchased by many :)

Yes. You retire as the champ. Title fights should be automatic on your return if you want to get rid of any ‘paper champ’ labels on your successor. If you’re dominant at a weight class you should be given the chance to fight at the next one for the belt.

10 title defences

19 straight wins

Being as flexible (big) as Max Holloway is... If he decides to come back after a 4 year layoff, should he be allowed to get title shots back to back with opponents of his choice and in different weight class. One at 155 and the other at 170

I like to think of things like this. If everyone did it, would it be a problem? Imagine you had a bunch of dominant champions retire early, and then comeback after years to pick the best opponent for them to get a belt back, (Ideally the guy thats blind from one eye)... And skip every fighter thats been kicking ass and hungry for TS.

I dont like the entire concept of what GSP is doing, and Im glad Dana is telling him to fuck off. Now hes trying to drain himself to 155 to pick on smaller fighter
It's amazing how so many people just ignore facts and make shit up on here

You literally have the world's knowledge at your fingertips and instead of educating yourself, you post shit like this

10 title defences

19 straight wins

Lol shutup

Not at all. He was a ducking flake who knew he'd get his shit pushed in by Whittaker and Romero. But, at least I get it a little bit since GSP is a bigger payday. GSP not only cherrypicked Bisping, but lied about his intentions of defending the title. I don't give a shit about GSP lying to Dana since DW lies to everybody, but it does bother me that Whittaker got screwed.

Dude he lost mad weight and cant stay heavy from colitis. Its like you just cant accept the facts

I’m sorry but you’re an idiot. Congrats to all he champs that can have a title reign like GSP. But FUCK NO, do not fuck over divisions and stall them when you retire at 32 and decide that you are worth so much that you can screw over all the other top contenders.

GTFI! What GSP did at MW was so inconsiderate and a debacle to the sport. Yes you were a great WW but that doesn’t mean you can chase fake glory and cherry pick while others are climbing the rankings legitimately
No, you’re an idiot! That’s you’re opinion which most people don’t share.

Anyone with 10 title defenses and 19 straight wins can fight whoever he wants.

So who qualifies for that?

It's prize fighting.

If the largest prize is holding up UFC's integrity, then I'm sure fighters will happily do so.

Until then, these belts are nothing but props for selling fights in the promotion business.

Yup. If it was a real sport a retired champ would no more be allowed to automatically fight for a title than a retired tennis champ would be automatically be allowed to play in the Wimbledon final, or a retired Olympic 100m sprint champ would be automatically allowed to run in the next Olympic finals - in real sports you have to earn your title shots.

But as you say, MMA is prize fighting, and prize fighting doesn't bother with such things - its about maximum money for every fight.

Sugar Ray retired and came back after 3 years to beat Hagler. Other past greats as well, so you can draw parallels.

It depends on if he's good enough. GSP is similar that you know he's gonna show up in shape and be competitive even after years on the shelf. Jones would be too, if he gets past other stuff.

Not sure if Max would be. He's not as great as those, not as dependable health and performance wise for a decade like the above 3 were. Only the greats who the fans know will show up get such treatment. DW knows who will and who won't.

No, unless there is absolutely no one else who can claim they deserve a shot.

GSP is widely considered top 2 if not 1 in GOAT discussions and he draws. Any fighter that can do what GSP can do deserves to call their own shots and they will.
top 4-5

i can't really fathom otherwise, im too rational

No GSP match is getting canceled. Everyone wants the lottery ticket to try to be one of the few to beat GSP. Besides, he does a 24 hr fast + a 48 hr
fast per week, so he's lean. No blubber weight. He pays a dietitian/cook. He'll diet down, then cut a bit of weight.

if im the ufc you cant risk gsp at 155 until he proves he can make 155.0. there wont be a loop hole like in the nick diaz fight.

Yes, and if you disagree, then you don’t understand how the stock market works.

Back