Should former Champion be able to come back after 4 year layoff and pick title fights as he pleases?

Good topic, TS.

I can see an argument either way, but it's all about context. If someone like Holloway, DC, or Bones didn't fight for 4 years, I wouldn't mind seeing them come back to an immediate title fight.

However, I agree with OP about Dana telling GSP to kick rocks. GSP is a bore, he cherrypicked Bisping, and he gets a pass for holding up the division - which had several worthy contenders - for over a year, while the match was being negotiated.

I would take 2009s prime Alves, Fitch, GSP, Sheilds over Till, Colby, RDA and Woodley any day.
excluding champions (for obv reasons you dummie) you're saying you'd take JON FITCH, JAKE SHEILDS, and THIAGO ALVES over DARREN TILL, COLBY COVINGTON and RDA? wow well okay then :/

And skill for skill, you are delusional if you think Woodley is close to prime GSP. The only thing Woodley does better is KO power
okay it's about winning the fight not how you do it otherwise I'd criticize GSP for learning how to minimalize all offense output that could possibly take place in a fight. But that doesnt matter, we are talking about how difficulty to beat. Put Woodley in GSP's division and it wouldn't be far fetched to say he'd have great success too, even if not as great as Georges. You giving more credit to GSP because he did it with absolutely no KO power(?) is kind of arbitrary.

I pick prime GSP over Woodley BTW, but in terms of intrigue and how it would play out, you can't say they are incomparable. Accolades wise, yes, but to refer back to GSP's respective accolades is beyond the point

GSP is a bore, he cherrypicked Bisping, and he gets a pass for holding up the division - which had several worthy contenders - for over a year, while the match was being negotiated.

Sounds like the only guy getting a pass for holding up a division is Bisping

I'd like to think certain Champions and even non-Champions have earned the right to pick and choose a few fights based on a storied career, towing the company line and being overall ambassadors to the sport.

Guys like Shogun, Rampage, GSP, Anderson, Chuck and countless others have put in their time so fuck it, make some fun fights that benefit the fighters, the company and the fans.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of line-jumpers that pop into a title picture that's undeserved.

Sounds like the only guy getting a pass for holding up a division is Bisping

Not at all. He was a ducking flake who knew he'd get his shit pushed in by Whittaker and Romero. But, at least I get it a little bit since GSP is a bigger payday. GSP not only cherrypicked Bisping, but lied about his intentions of defending the title. I don't give a shit about GSP lying to Dana since DW lies to everybody, but it does bother me that Whittaker got screwed.

JON FITCH, JAKE SHEILDS, and THIAGO ALVES over DARREN TILL, COLBY COVINGTON and RDA? wow well okay then :/
Shields has wins over Twood, the current champ, Dan Henderson, a multiple champ and a guy that beat Fedor, Lawlor, another champ, and a shitload of other top guys. So how does Till, Colby, and RDA compare???

the fight was fine it was the bs about defending that was kind of f'd up

GSPHook.gif

Not at all. He was a ducking flake who knew he'd get his shit pushed in by Whittaker and Romero. But, at least I get it a little bit since GSP is a bigger payday. GSP not only cherrypicked Bisping, but lied about his intentions of defending the title. I don't give a shit about GSP lying to Dana since DW lies to everybody, but it does bother me that Whittaker got screwed.

Why did you believe GSP wanted and was going to defend the title? Seriously. Are there comments of him talking about being a long and proud MW champion?

Or because Dana White publicly announced a clause that would force him too? I wonder why..? Probably because GSP never had intention too, everyone knew it, but was forced to signed some shotty agreement to get the fight he wants?

Even the first presser announcement, GSP is awkwardly trying to tell people, he's not going to be ready for the date UFC is promoting. They tried forcing him to a early fight, and GSP had none of it.

I'm fine with Gsp getting special treatment but Bisping held up the mw division for over a year angling for a fight with him. We also do you know if he can make lw or how he will look. Plus the Nate/Poirier winner, Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee are all ready for title shots.

Make Gsp vs Ferguson or Gsp vs Anderson
I can dig gsp vs ferg....he is so quirky......could be interesting. I also wouldn't mind Gsp beating the shit out of silva

Lets say Max defended 145 title 7 more times... And retires with

10 title defences

19 straight wins

Being as flexible (big) as Max Holloway is... If he decides to come back after a 4 year layoff, should he be allowed to get title shots back to back with opponents of his choice and in different weight class. One at 155 and the other at 170

I like to think of things like this. If everyone did it, would it be a problem? Imagine you had a bunch of dominant champions retire early, and then comeback after years to pick the best opponent for them to get a belt back, (Ideally the guy thats blind from one eye)... And skip every fighter thats been kicking ass and hungry for TS.

I dont like the entire concept of what GSP is doing, and Im glad Dana is telling him to fuck off. Now hes trying to drain himself to 155 to pick on smaller fighter

List out the rest of the dominant champions that went out on a win, with the belt.

Oh yeah there aren’t any others

GSP is a Great. He has transcended being a mere “champ”. Guys with epic legacies can do things like that.

If Max does manage to pull off a GSP like title reign, then yes. And I would be pumped to see him do it

The rest of the scenario you paint is stupid. A lot of guys aren’t going to do this because they won’t have his legacy. His legacy is a near impossible feat and that is why he is special
I’m sorry but you’re an idiot. Congrats to all he champs that can have a title reign like GSP. But FUCK NO, do not fuck over divisions and stall them when you retire at 32 and decide that you are worth so much that you can screw over all the other top contenders.

GTFI! What GSP did at MW was so inconsiderate and a debacle to the sport. Yes you were a great WW but that doesn’t mean you can chase fake glory and cherry pick while others are climbing the rankings legitimately

excluding champions (for obv reasons you dummie) you're saying you'd take JON FITCH, JAKE SHEILDS, and THIAGO ALVES over DARREN TILL, COLBY COVINGTON and RDA? wow well okay then :/

okay it's about winning the fight not how you do it otherwise I'd criticize GSP for learning how to minimalize all offense output that could possibly take place in a fight. But that doesnt matter, we are talking about how difficulty to beat. Put Woodley in GSP's division and it wouldn't be far fetched to say he'd have great success too, even if not as great as Georges. You giving more credit to GSP because he did it with absolutely no KO power(?) is kind of arbitrary.

I pick prime GSP over Woodley BTW, but in terms of intrigue and how it would play out, you can't say they are incomparable. Accolades wise, yes, but to refer back to GSP's respective accolades is beyond the point

Whats with the caps?

You think its crazy to take PRIME Alves, Fitch and Shields over Till, Colby and RDA? LOL ok bud. Hell, RDA is from the GSP era and still a top fighter. Put Woodley in the GSP era and he would just lose to Rory again. You are completely delusional if you think todays WW division is better then the 2009 division. WW isn't MW or HW that got stacked after SF (SF's WW division was shit) came over

And when the fuck did i give GSP more credit for doing it with no KO power? All i said is KO power is the only thing Woodley does better then GSP.

JON FITCH, JAKE SHEILDS, and THIAGO ALVES over DARREN TILL, COLBY COVINGTON and RDA? wow well okay then :/
Shields has wins over Twood, the current champ, Dan Henderson, a multiple champ and a guy that beat Fedor, Lawlor, another champ, and a shitload of other top guys. So how does Till, Colby, and RDA compare???

Sheilds is super decorated but his style doesn't work anymore (wouldn't work very well) and it is VERY SIMPLE to see that the current division is more evolved (naturally).... HOW COULD ONE EVEN ARGUE THIS???? And quit with the irrelevant MMAth that makes no sense at all, PLEASE.

I feel like i am being hardcore trolled by a guy pretending to be so stupid he can't even correctly quote me.

GSP is a Great. He has transcended being a mere “champ”. Guys with epic legacies can do things like that.

If Max does manage to pull off a GSP like title reign, then yes. And I would be pumped to see him do it

The rest of the scenario you paint is stupid. A lot of guys aren’t going to do this because they won’t have his legacy. His legacy is a near impossible feat and that is why he is special
But but but Conor can too he's GOAT!

Why did you believe GSP wanted and was going to defend the title? Seriously. Are there comments of him talking about being a long and proud MW champion?

Or because Dana White publicly announced a clause that would force him too? I wonder why..? Probably because GSP never had intention too, everyone knew it, but was forced to signed some shotty agreement to get the fight he wants?

Even the first presser announcement, GSP is awkwardly trying to tell people, he's not going to be ready for the date UFC is promoting. They tried forcing him to a early fight, and GSP had none of it.

It's not so much that I blindly trust in DW. The man is a compulsive liar. However, everything with GSP is just a bit too convenient. He waits till Bisping becomes champ at 185 to return - a weight he alleges makes him feel uncomfortable - instead of returning to 170 to fight Woodley, a much tougher opponent. After winning, he claims that he has colitis so he doesn't have to defend against Whittaker.

GSP's preoccupation with his legacy, ironically, has become a detriment to his career ever since Matt Serra knocked him silly. He's gone from a finisher to a decision machine who avoids and handpicks certain opponents in order to protect his reputation.

Lets say Max defended 145 title 7 more times... And retires with

10 title defences

19 straight wins

Being as flexible (big) as Max Holloway is... If he decides to come back after a 4 year layoff, should he be allowed to get title shots back to back with opponents of his choice and in different weight class. One at 155 and the other at 170

I like to think of things like this. If everyone did it, would it be a problem? Imagine you had a bunch of dominant champions retire early, and then comeback after years to pick the best opponent for them to get a belt back, (Ideally the guy thats blind from one eye)... And skip every fighter thats been kicking ass and hungry for TS.

I dont like the entire concept of what GSP is doing, and Im glad Dana is telling him to fuck off. Now hes trying to drain himself to 155 to pick on smaller fighter

Buisiness first.

Belts are used to sell their promotion.

Whats with the caps?

You think its crazy to take PRIME Alves, Fitch and Shields over Till, Colby and RDA? LOL ok bud. Hell, RDA is from the GSP era and still a top fighter. Put Woodley in the GSP era and he would just lose to Rory again. You are completely delusional if you think todays WW division is better then the 2009 division. WW isn't MW or HW that got stacked after SF (SF's WW division was shit) came over

And when the fuck did i give GSP more credit for doing it with no KO power? All i said is KO power is the only thing Woodley does better then GSP.

Yeah, it's crazy to think that any form of Alves would last with Till, it's crazy to ignore RDA is where he is at today because of EVOLUTION. It's crazy to draw a parallel in Rory Macdonal when GSP would never ever have fought Rory. And you can't cheapen Tyron and say he only has "power" because that is speculation, and besides the point, because power could be the deciding factor.

Human nature with regards to systems/organizations with privileges and power usually end up relinquishing certain things based on politics, the right connections basically. Factor in "the fights people want to see" according to Dana and you got yourself some situations that are just unfair for those who aren't important. Not much we can do,

Back