Should fighters be able to say "No" (stipe vs mal)

Warraw

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not sure, I'd make this kind of career decision.
If my boss asked me on say a low-opportunity, high-risk
situation, I'd say no.

Sure, the fans want to see a fight, it's good to step up... wouldn't fans rather see Stipe vs Somebody?

Are you talking about Stipe or Fabio here? You do realize this is their main job and they need to work in order to get paid? maldonado isn't a high risk fight for Miocic either, while we're at it

They are allowed

Stipe and his camp didn't want this fight but they took it to help the UFC. Stipes next fight be a title eliminator. You know they promised him something for this. Maybe exclusive rughts to JDS's next fight with a win

I think they should have made it Maldonado vs Te Huna, which would actually be an interesting fight.
At least Maldonado gets some extra fans and cash just for having the balls. He does not seem to care about his brain cells anyways...

Are you talking about Stipe or Fabio here? You do realize this is their main job and they need to work in order to get paid? maldonado isn't a high risk fight for Miocic either, while we're at it

Anyone who can KO you cold, is a high-risk threat dude

"Coleman, it's a fight, man! It's a fiiiight!!" -Wand

Anyone who can KO you cold, is a high-risk threat dude

Brawldonado has really smooth hands but he hasn't shown true one punch knockout power at 205. Plus, he already has a vulnerability to grapplers at the division below, I'm sure a 240lb wrestler like Stipe can come up with something

Most fighters say "No"

Do you really think that Maldonaldo was Joe Silva's first choice?

Jon Jones said no to Chael the 1st time, cancelled the whole damn PPV.

Shogun said no to Texiera and DFW told the world he was a coward.

Vitor requested that Rumble make 205 or the fight wouldn't happen I think (when Rumble missed 185.6 by a mile).

Heh. If Maldonado is such a can, Stipe should have no problem crushing him.

What's he afraid of, getting paid?

fighters are legally allowed to say no to anyone they want.

but in most cases, it will probably affect your job security.

Not sure, I'd make this kind of career decision.
If my boss asked me on say a low-opportunity, high-risk
situation, I'd say no.

Sure, the fans want to see a fight, it's good to step up... wouldn't fans rather see Stipe vs Somebody?

Don't think of it as low-opportunity, high-risk. Think of it as paycheck vs. no paycheck. Or even if they were going to give Miocic his show money either way, then think of it as single paycheck vs. likely double paycheck (due to win bonus).

Lol at Maldonado being a high-risk fight for Stipe. Should be really easy for Stipe to win the decision or get the tko.

Don't think of it as low-opportunity, high-risk. Think of it as paycheck vs. no paycheck. Or even if they were going to give Miocic his show money either way, then think of it as single paycheck vs. likely double paycheck (due to win bonus).

good point.

fighters say no all the time..

especially behind the scenes

you guys are listing public knowledge fights, but don't forget about the "nobody wants to fight that guy" statement because its true

You do realize that by saying no to the fight that would also mean saying no to getting paid. right?

How many guys do you think have turned down fights with Mcgregor that we dont know about?? Probably most of the division

Some fans cant understand this, but fighters make a living with fights. Stipe needs the money to live, thats why they accept this "easy fights"

People turn down fights all the time, there has been cases where 3 or 4 fighters turned down fights on short notice.

Back