Should Faber get next shot at Cruz?

I guess for the sake of completing the trilogy, but I've lost track of how many title shots Faber has lost in the last few years.
I agree with KootenayKid though, I'd rather see some new blood.

Cruz after a whole 3 years out got the title back and wants to stay active. The new blood(Sterling, Almeida, and Rivera) are lacking that contender breakthrough win at this point. Assuncao would be a nobrainer but he's had his own struggles with injuries in recent years.

Cruz/Faber III was scheduled to go down before the knee injuries. Faber's riding 3 wins at BW(though not one of his better streaks) and timing-wise it's reasonable enough I'd say.

Faber is proven better than anyone in the division other than Dillashaw and Barao, although he has looked like he may be slowing down recently. The guy has literally never lost to anyone who wasn't a champion in the past 10 years and even then Tyson Griffin in 2005 is his only other blemish. In fact Edgar, who's still a beast and IMO never really should have lost his belt, is the only guy who's beat him in a non title fight. When you further consider that some of those losses have come at a higher weight class, Aldo x2 and Edgar, it's hard to suggest that anyone other than Barao or Dillashaw (even then they never fought) is for sure better.

Barao obviously hasn't looked the same since losing his title and has had issues making weight so i don't think anyone thinks he's in the running for a title shot just yet and although Dillashaw probably deserves a rematch, i think he won, he likely won't get it. Who's left other than Faber? Assuncao? Yeah he probably deserves to be in the mix but he hasn't fought since 2014 and has been injured. I don't think Faber is ideal but it's hard to argue that he isn't a legit contender and one of the clear top guys. I'd say him or Dillashaw should be Cruz's next fight. It's not like Faber's loss to Cruz wasn't a close fight either.

Yawn at Cruz/Faber 3. TJ v Faber is way more interesting, Cruz should instead go out and buy some body parts on lay-a-way or something instead.

Hopefully Cruz stays healthy and it happens this time...If it does get booked

What about assuncau (spl?) Isn't he on a decent win streak?

that's what will sell the best in BW so yeah. maybe if barao comes back to BW, this could be an interesting fight; a rematch with dillashaw will happen too. All of this if cruz's physique holds up

Faber has beaten 3 in a row at BW, and has a history with the champ, so I say make it happen. Let TJ rematch John Dodson for the next #1 contender.

Unpopular opinion, but I don't think Cruz vs TJ showed who the better fighter is. Hope they rematch down the road. Not a fan of the Faber fight.

I think there are great reasons to make that fight, but I don't think merit is one of them. I'd still like to see it closed out officially.

Cruz v Dillashaw/Faber winner - selling point is the TJ/Faber rivalry,

If Cruz is injured they should have Faber vs TJ first.. But I feel like we will never get the trilogy if that happens. If Cruz fights Faber now, we get the trilogy and Faber can always fight TJ down the road.. after. If Faber was to beat Cruz, I am sure the UFC would love a Student VS Teacher for the title Fight with TJ and Faber.. Think there is more upside to having the Faber Cruz fight earlier

Raphael Assuncao should be due for a shot.

It's a trilogy fight that's long, long overdue. However, at this point, Cruz makes it look easy.

Back