Should Dean stop the fight when Bisping's mouthpiece fell out?

It was certainly a strange sequence of events.

Firstly when Anderson knocked out Mike's gum shield (mouth piece) and beckoned to Anderson to allow him to collect it; that was stupidity from Mike.

I've seen people on here say it was dirty from Anderson. That is complete nonsense. It's a fight. In a fight you keep going until the referee says stop. That's it.

Then Anderson tries to put it on Mike and he does catch him and appeared to hurt or daze him. Mike, however defends well and manages to break.

This was Herb's opportunity to allow a little break in the bout to replace his mouth card. Would have took ten seconds to get a bottle of water and allow Mike to clean it quickly and put it back in.

However Herb felt the break wasn't significant enough at that point, so Mike should have got on with it. The only issue I had was that Herb gestured with his hands and that looked as though he was going to break and with the volume of the crowd it was hard to hear what he was saying and this distracted Mike. Slightly poor from Herb.

I must repeat though that Mike should know better, especially against someone with such a diverse arsenal - that flying knee was beautiful but a couple of seconds before the klaxon and Anderson was extremely arrogant with the walk off celebration, he should have followed up - hindsight is 20/20.

So to be fair to all three men involved - it was poor decisions made in the heat of an already intense bout. There was no skullduggery in play, just a little misjudgement.

The real question is, would Bisping have gotten kneed to the chin if he had his mouth piece in place? Probably not.

Dude was careless and snoozed worrying about that mouth piece.
I agree, he goofed then.

there was literally one second of inactivity and silva was pretty much on him the whole time. No way Dean could intervene

Herb was moving in to seperate them when the knee happened, but he sure took his sweet time about it, pretty terrible reffing but Bisping shouldn't have taken his eyes off Anderson.

There was absolutely a break in the action when Dean could have paused things. I do wonder if Herb wanted to give Bisping a chance to recover from that knee because he realised it was his mistake that caused it in the first place.

they had an exchange, bispings mouth piece flew out, bisping looked at herb and pointed at the mouth piece. anderoid then took advantage of the situation and started throwing punches against his distracted opponent.

bisping realized herb wasnt doing shit, he started defending himself again, they clinched, they break up, theres a stop in the action (no punches being thrown), bisping takes a few steps away, silva kinda follows, bisping again looks at herb for his missing mouth piece, and now for the second time silva in desperation take advantage of the situation and try a flying knee against his distracted opponent

conclusion: yes herb should have stopped it after the clinch

Herb does whatever he decides to, fighters need to oblige, focus and defend themselves.

There was no break. Anderson was showing his experience and desire to win there. Bit dirty, but fair play, under the rules.

That's how I saw it too. Bisping needs to defend himself, the ref saw the mouth guard and was waiting for an opportunity to replace it. Silva was pressuring, the ref should never stop in the middle of an exchange and upset the balance of the fight. Bisping even admitted it was his own fault. Bisping almost lost the biggest fight of his career over this. And, I felt it was a bit dirty of Silva to throw the knee and dance around like he won, but whatever, Herb took back control. And, Bisping won on The score cards! Crazy fight

Uh it's a mouthpiece. What does a mouthpiece protect? Safety equipment?

I mean come on guys, you're acting like it's a catcher's mask or a goalie mask. You don't have risk of death without a mouthpiece.

Anyone who loses their mouthpiece should be focused on the fight, not their teeth.

I see many people crying about the fact the fight wasn't stopped after the Knee but lets rewind a bit.
Bisping's mouthpiece fell out, now at the start he seemed a bit to distracted by that and that was probably wrong, but after he defended Silva's first row of attacks there was a break on where Anderson prepared his knee where the fight should have been stopped.

So before the knee even happened Herb should have timed out. "If the mouthpiece is involuntarily dislodged during competition, the referee shall call time, clean the mouthpiece, and reinsert the mouthpiece at the first opportune moment without interfering with the immediate action." I'm clearly not an expert but from the UFC rules it clearly looks like the fight should have been stopped.

So what do you think about this?

100% definitely!! Hence why Bisping pointed............he was aware Stupid Herb was like "Fight on!!"

Rules are clear and some people don't want a bunch of fake teeth in their mouth!!! It's the rules follow them before the knee it was Bisping easy and without the Knee there would have been NO controversy at all.

Silva is just a shady guy, the drugs, lies, and now the sneaky knee!! Once the best not anymore buddy.

Uh it's a mouthpiece. What does a mouthpiece protect? Safety equipment?

I mean come on guys, you're acting like it's a catcher's mask or a goalie mask. You don't have risk of death without a mouthpiece.

Anyone who loses their mouthpiece should be focused on the fight, not their teeth.
Nope it's in the rules and Bisping obviously cared........Silva is just sneaky Ref should have stopped it immediately.

Herb dean screwed up big time. He noticed the mouthpiece out with like 15 to 18 seconds left. You either step in or you dont with that amount of time remaining. But if youre going to step in do it immediately and not with 1 second left

I thought it was over while watching. I can't remember but i thought dean even waved his arms to say its over. Very crazy, can't imagine what Anderson felt like having to fight again.
Exactly, BIG adrenaline dump to think youve won and then realize you have 2 more rounds

In some way I agree with you, there was a lot of confusing there BUT there is a reason fighters are wearing a mouthpiece and there is a rule that the fight should get stopped, like Bisping stated he would like to keep his teeth... He should not keep his eyes off Anderson that is absolutely right but Dean should have stopped the fight.
1. There is a reason why fighters spit their mouth guards out when in trouble.
2. Where does it state that a fight should be stopped immediately at all times when a fighter loses their mouth guard?

As for Bisping: Close your mouth, don't lose your mouthguard if your teeth are that important to you. And stop whining.

Anderson may well have been unaware that the round was over.

"at the first opportune moment without interfering with the immediate action"

there wasn't an opportunity between losing the mouthpiece and the end of the round to give it back to him without interfering with the immediate action

How can there be no opportunity, when Bisping was able to put his arms down for a couple of seconds and point to the mouth piece?

Are you that delusional?

There was a CLEAR opportunity.

Bisping was dumb to not protect himself, Herb Dean was incompetent and Silva was unsportsmanlike. Those 3 things are all true.

Last edited:
No way should Herb have stopped the action. Generally you'll see a fighter create space and jog away so the ref can step in. Bisping was almost trying to call a time-out while his back was on the fence and Anderson was all up in his grill. Silva wasn't about to get Werdum'd so he kept throwing shots.

15_medium.gif

It was all bispings fault. People blaming dean are idiots. Protect yourselves at all times. Fucking bisping was looking for a timeout while silva was clearly on the attack.

Bisping goofed there. Should the ref have called a timeout, maybe, but he didn't. The mouthpiece on the floor isn't the danger, the guy in front of you is.

Back