Should Dean stop the fight when Bisping's mouthpiece fell out?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Xuro, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Xuro

Xuro White Belt

I see many people crying about the fact the fight wasn't stopped after the Knee but lets rewind a bit.
    Bisping's mouthpiece fell out, now at the start he seemed a bit to distracted by that and that was probably wrong, but after he defended Silva's first row of attacks there was a break on where Anderson prepared his knee where the fight should have been stopped.

So before the knee even happened Herb should have timed out. "If the mouthpiece is involuntarily dislodged during competition, the referee shall call time, clean the mouthpiece, and reinsert the mouthpiece at the first opportune moment without interfering with the immediate action." I'm clearly not an expert but from the UFC rules it clearly looks like the fight should have been stopped.

So what do you think about this?

2. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Black Belt

Not with Anderson pressuring him like that.

eon001, theantso, V-Money and 8 others like this.
  3. King.

King. Blue Belt

after first viewing, I think he should have either waved off the fight or stepped in to let him put his mouthpiece back in. will watch a second time though

nutts likes this.
  4. Xuro

Xuro White Belt

He did and Bisping did nothing but defend because of his mouthpiece, but like I said after he defended the first row of punches Anderson walked backwards and there was enough time to stop it right there, at that moment Anderson started to charge with the knee.

5. Zanmato

Zanmato Black Belt

"at the first opportune moment without interfering with the immediate action"

there wasn't an opportunity between losing the mouthpiece and the end of the round to give it back to him without interfering with the immediate action

PivotPunch and Croat Cop like this.
  6. freelanzr

freelanzr Blue Belt

He could have, there was a break, but it was small and his choice was apparently to wait till the end of the round. It is his decision to make. One issue I have is that his body language/positioning and yelling confused the situation so it was difficult to tell what his intentions were. Bisping was at fault of course for not protecting himself.

Scamrock, RJK, Sano and 1 other person like this.
  7. Xuro

Xuro White Belt

I have watched this part so many times and there clearly was. I have to run in a bit but if I would have time I would make a gif, Maybe someone can help with this :)

8. Silverstar17

Silverstar17 Red Belt

I agree with you. But Dean probably thought the round was over anyway but then Bisping took his eyes of Anderson and got hit with a knee in the last second. I don't see any big mistakes on Dean's part. The situation was just weird because Anderson thought he won.

Weird situation. Bisping was rocked and Anderson probably got an adrenalin dump because he thought it was over. But Herb is not to blame here imo.

punky brewster likes this.
  9. Cobra201

Cobra201 Orange Belt

The real question is, would Bisping have gotten kneed to the chin if he had his mouth piece in place? Probably not.

Dude was careless and snoozed worrying about that mouth piece.

10. biscuitsbrah

biscuitsbrah Black Belt

No there wasn't. The momentum was in andersons favor and bisping was trapped against the cage

11. Zanmato

Zanmato Black Belt

the video on mmajunkie shows that whole sequence

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/02/video-...-of-anderson-silva-vs-michael-bisping-round-3

drops it at around 5 secs
    they're actively trading blows between 5 secs and 13 secs
    bisping looks at herb at 14 secs
    silva throws the knee at 15 secs
    round is over at 16

i have to disagree

12. Xuro

Xuro White Belt

In some way I agree with you, there was a lot of confusing there BUT there is a reason fighters are wearing a mouthpiece and there is a rule that the fight should get stopped, like Bisping stated he would like to keep his teeth... He should not keep his eyes off Anderson that is absolutely right but Dean should have stopped the fight.

ssBaldy likes this.
  13. Optimus15

Optimus15 Orange Belt

I thought it was over while watching. I can't remember but i thought dean even waved his arms to say its over. Very crazy, can't imagine what Anderson felt like having to fight again.

14. Reason

Reason Black Belt

There was no break. Anderson was showing his experience and desire to win there. Bit dirty, but fair play, under the rules.

AWilder likes this.
  15. Blayt7hh

Blayt7hh Steel Belt

No they wait until there is a break in the action and the fighters disengage. It's not new its how its done

16. Xuro

Xuro White Belt

I agree with you, nothing wrong with what Anderson did, but Dean on the other hand should have stopped it in my opinion. Looks like I'm the only one thought, so I should take my UFC lesson by this.

Wallop likes this.
  17. Bookerman

Bookerman Green Belt

Nope, seen fights continue at that point many times. If it went how Bisping wanted then fighters would simply spit the mouthpiece out when they are getting pressured.

Blayt7hh likes this.
  18. Blayt7hh

Blayt7hh Steel Belt

Nah they weren't actively trading at that second but Anderson was cornering him clearly looking to throw something in that space, Herb was right

19. Wallop

Wallop Blue Belt

Tough situation to find yourself in the middle of.
    I think Herb did OK. Big John is best in situations like this, probably because he can draw on his experiences of being in a riot / being shot at / arresting 'Purps, etc
    The Count was out for the count though. Fair play to Bisping in coming back and fighting, my respect for him has grown a little.
    Tough fight to score too. Spider was definitely finishing strong. Could have gone either way.....

Xuro likes this.
  20. Hooliganx

Hooliganx Green Belt

Once they broke that would have been an ideal time to get it, big John and Marc Goddard certainly would have.

However Mike is far to experienced to be expecting the referee to just stop. Protect yourselves at all times.