Should Cody Garbrandt get the title shot if he kos Takeya Mizugaki ?

Cuz Cody wasn't a champion.
hahaha! I can't believe this person actually thought Mizugaki earned Cruz the shot at the belt. That's simply ignoring all context. Cruz's fight against Mizugaki was a warm-up match for him. It was to assess his condition after a lengthy recovery (after which he took ANOTHER lengthy recovery).

Cruz got his shot because he was a champion who never lost his belt. Mizugaki would have only served as a roadblock. However, Cruz starched him--and that fact proves he's not a true contender in the bantamweight division (since when does Cruz starch ANYBODY--he completely dominated Faber, but never tried to go in for the kill).

I am a fan of Cruz to some extent. I was a BIG fan of his back in the WEC. However, these days he seems very content as a point fighter. If it ain't broke, don't fix it--I get why he does it--but TJ Dillashaw always is looking to finish. That is likely what lost him the last fight.

However, based on the aggression and quality of strikes landed, I'd actually have given the last fight to Dillashaw. Yeah, he missed a lot, but you don't lose points for missing--and overall he did land more total strikes (and their sig strikes were nearly identical).

Either way you score it, it's a fight that deserves a rematch--unlike Rousey, Velasquez, Weidman, etc. who were all offered rematches despite getting finished (none of them materialized, but they WERE on the table).

Yes he should, and will. But I see him winning a decision, and still getting the shot.

I genuinely hope Takeya halts the hype train....and yes i'm a butthurt Almeida fan

I rather see it go Cruz vs Edgar in NY and Cody vs TJ in Phillipines. Winner of Dom vs Frankie against winner of Cody vs TJ in Vegas, Dodson vs Linekar coach a season of TUF, Sterling vs Almeida in NY, Assuncao vs Takeya in Japan, Faber vs Manny in Phillipines..

Back