Should Cain's stand up be feared as equally as his wrestling?

Earthworm Jim

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I certainly think so...
Although most like to believe that Cain is still predominantly a wrestler since it's his base & all other skills don't measure up in comparison.

Cain's come a long way since entering the octagon (relatively inexperienced being 2-0) & going on a tear to become champ, twice!
We were made to believe he had 'pillow fists' after being rocked hard in each round against Kongo & was criticized for being unable to finish him (just like JDS vs Cain 2 where JDS had no power left after being rocked hard in rnd 1)

However, his striking has improved drastically over the years & he has managed to knock down hard all opponents since then, even KOing Big Nog who was then known to have an iron jaw at the time.
Of course he didn't knock down Rothwell at all (who indeed has a great chin) but then again he did so against JDS, twice! (who indeed has an iron chin)

Cain currently has the distinction of having the most (T)KO's in the UFC HW div (9 in total)
Some may see this as being overrated, as they're mostly TKO's & not true KO's
Or perhaps Cain's striking is still underrated despite all this?
IMO I like to agree that Cain's striking is extremely well balanced & equally as dangerous as any one punch KO artist the division has to offer.

Who agrees that Cain can knock down hard anyone @ HW & his striking should be feared on par with his wrestling?

Last edited:
Cain is one of the best strikers in the HW division. Also very versatile, punches, kicks, knees, elbows with endless cardio to keep a pace nobody else can.

Only a fool doesnt fear Cains striking.

cainnog3.gif

his striking isnt perfect, but with his aggression, and fear of the td or being against the cage with him, yes, they should fear him everywhere

Cain has quick punches, uses good angles and footwork. I think his quickness and ability to keep the fight on his feet will be the main factor in him smashing Werdum.

He's a decent striker for sure, he's not one for defence though.

This is why he must fight Stipe. Boxer/Wrestlers, one being the better boxer and one being the better wrestler

His stand up is very good and he has good speed for a Hw, but his wrestling is what makes the difference imo.
He tried standing and banging with JDS in their first fight and it did not go well for him. Werdum might give him some trouble striking too. Reem would be very dangerous in the first two rounds.
He should keep mixing it up with his wrestling, cause that's what he is great at.

they both should be feared b/c Cain is just a badass mofo but i will say that if i was fighting Cain i'd rather him stand and trade with me instead of taking me down at will and ground and pounding my brains out. its not that his stand up is bad, i'd just rather test his chin than have Cain controlling me via wrestling and bouncing my head off the mat with Ground and Pound.

His striking is effective because of the way he mixes it up with TD's.

This is why he must fight Stipe. Boxer/Wrestlers, one being the better boxer and one being the better wrestler

Cain is more of a Kickboxer/Wrestler. Stipe definitely Boxer/Wrestler.

Back