Social Should Biden end contracts with private prisons?

Can Biden close private prisons?

• Total voters

mmafan2000

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Biden want's to close private prisons.
https://apnews.com/article/joe-bide...rus-pandemic-c8c246f00695f37ef2afb1dd3a5f115e

I don't think Biden should stop contracts with the private sector. Private prisons are a solution, and Biden is looking for a problem since it gets him votes. Democrats keep using race as a political weapon. They provide no alternatives to keeping the streets safe. Dangerous communities need more police, not less. The more they de-fund the police and don't' have proper federal prisons to keep dangerous criminals away from society, the more a private protection and prison services will flourish. Look at this:
AOC, 'Squad' members promote 'Defund the Police' but spend thousands on private security
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/aoc-defund-police-squad-private-security

Edit: sorry i messed up the poll, I wanted to ask if you think he should cancel the contracts with private prisons or not.

Last edited:
I think the federal government should run everything...

This is a weird subject to use for complaining about the government not touching the private sector.

Leaving the private sector alone would mean ending private prisons and only relying on prisons funded and run directly by the gov't. The private sector can't convict anyone and lacks the authority to imprison anyone without the government blending the private/public boundary here.

As for Biden, he can certainly end the Feds use of private prisons depending on the specific contracts that they've signed. Of course, the states can continue to use private prisons for state crimes if they so choose.

This is a weird subject to use for complaining about the government not touching the private sector.

Leaving the private sector alone would mean ending private prisons and only relying on prisons funded and run directly by the gov't. The private sector can't convict anyone and lacks the authority to imprison anyone without the government blending the private/public boundary here.

As for Biden, he can certainly end the Feds use of private prisons depending on the specific contracts that they've signed. Of course, the states can continue to use private prisons for state crimes if they so choose.

My bad, I messed up the poll. I wanted to say should biden continue his contract with private prisons or not. Can you change the poll for me? Sorry I am dumb.

Last edited:
What a terrible poll.

And the federal government can choose not to keep their contracts with for profit prisons on the federal level.

yes, my bad. I want to edit the poll but I can't. I feel pretty dumb right now.

Anyway, I'm not pleased with the democrat direction. I think the next republican president will just re-initiate the contracts.

Last edited:
yes, my bad. I want to edit the poll but I can't. I feel pretty dumb right now.

Anyway, I'm not pleased with the democrat direction. I think the next republican president will just re-initiate the contracts.
Why are private prisons good?

Private prisons incentivize incarceration why is this a good thing?

Why are private prisons good?

Private prisons incentivize incarceration why is this a good thing?

1. Private prisons are potentially cheaper for taxpayers.
2. There is an economic benefit to the local community.
3. Prisoner population levels are appropriately maintained.
4. Private prisons can lower the rates of reoffending.
5. Facilities can be used for various purposes.
6. Governments have contracted prisoners out to third-parties for several years.
7. There are not enough prisons
8. Decisions happen faster in the private prison system.

My bad, I messed up the poll. I wanted to say should biden continue his contract with private prisons or not. Can you change the poll for me? Sorry I am dumb.
No worries, changed.

Not sure how this poll makes sense. Governments are the only entities lawfully allowed to imprison people. They can certainly choose where to do it.
Do you think that the private industry does not lobby certain politicians and judges? these private prisons get paid by the inmate, they want people in prison.

Judging by the OP, I don't think he even knows what he is against

I know... I screwed up my original post and poll. Sorry.

I am for private prisons, I have listed why on post #10. I think Biden shouldn't have cancelled future contracts with them, and it's mostly political motives for votes.

Biden and his staff are already in bed with corporate interests. So LOL at this poll. You know it ain't going to happen. Why waste time on it.

It's like asking a republican leadership if they'll cut military spending.

8. Decisions happen faster in the private prison system.
<JagsKiddingMe>

They are private prisons, not private courts; you are going to encounter the same bureaucracy that slows down the process regardless of where they are being stored.

The only real argument for keeping private prisons is the upfront cost of de-privatizing the facilities via purchase, since they are by nature already government-funded as it is the government using them so the upkeep costs would not really change.

Letting those who have a vested monetary interest in crime remaining high should not be running our prison system and handling criminals; it is as blatant of a conflict of interest as one can find

<JagsKiddingMe>

They are private prisons, not private courts; you are going to encounter the same bureaucracy that slows down the process regardless of where they are being stored.

The only real argument for keeping private prisons is the upfront cost of de-privatizing the facilities via purchase, since they are by nature already government-funded as it is the government using them so the upkeep costs would not really change.

Letting those who have a vested monetary interest in crime remaining high should not be running our prison system and handling criminals; it is as blatant of a conflict of interest as one can find

Good point.

Is over-crowding not already a big problem with prisons? Does Biden have a plan to replace all these contracts? What makes us think the government can run prisons better?

Do you think that the private industry does not lobby certain politicians and judges? these private prisons get paid by the inmate, they want people in prison.

I'd bet they do. But it's the drug war that's filling up the cellblocks, not the private ownership. Either way, that's got little to do with the poll or my post.

Back