Should all UFC fighters make $30000/year + their fight money?

Can you imagine professional soccer players/NBA players holding down a 40 hour a week second job while still playing/training at the highest level???

The quality of their performances would clearly suffer, you mong.

MMA is not a sport with the revenue or infrastructure base that major sports have.

Most elite athletes in those sports are practically trained from birth for one thing. All through school they are focused on shooting goals or blocking shots or whatever.

MMA currently is basically a hobby still. The money and infrastructure doesn't exist yet. It's made up of washed up crossover athletes and martial arts hobbyists. There are very few career martial artists in the world.

It's not the UFC's responsibility to subsidize the entire sport of MMA, even still they're doing their best with what resources they have at their disposal.

All these other sports are subsidized by states, local, and even federal governments. No government is paying to subsidize the training for MMA fighters.

Last edited:
I like it. It would be nice to have guys who could focus on training full time. They would just have to figure out a way to prevent malingering and guys always pulling out due to injury.

MMA is not a sport with the revenue or infrastructure base that major sports have.

Most elite athletes in those sports are practically trained from birth for one thing. All through school they are focused on shooting goals or blocking shots or whatever.

MMA currently is basically a hobby still. The money and infrastructure doesn't exist yet. It's made up of washed up crossover athletes and martial arts hobbyists. There are very few career martial artists in the world.

It's not the UFC's responsibility to subsidize the entire sport of MMA, even still they're doing their best with what resources they have at their disposal.

All these other sports are subsidized by states, local, and even federal governments. No government is paying to subsidize the training for MMA fighters.

UFC should then get rid of the "uniforms" and call themselves a "semi-professional sport"

I mean why would they want to do this vs. just upping show + win bonus? It's a logistic nightmare. All fighters under contract get this $30k? A guy on the shelf for an entire year gets a $30k base while someone who fights 3 times that year has the same base? A fighter could literally just collect his $30k and claim he is too injured to fight while making money on the side coaching or in another job. They obviously want to pay based off of work being performed for reasons like this.

If I understood the OP correctly, it's JUST base pay.

The guy who fights 3x would get 3 fights worth of checks plus possible bonus money IN ADDITION to the 30k. I hope that's what he meant.
And that would cost Zuffa 18 million/yr. Which I doubt they would be in to.
How about just a $10,000 annual check to every fighter on the roster, whether they fight or not, and provided their income is under $100,000 (obviously don't need to be paying the Conors, Weidmans, Joneses, etc, an extra 10k).
Obviously it sucks to be in that sour spot close to the cutoff....

No they shouldn't. If it's too little money, then can do something else for work. Let the market decide what they should be paid. Looks like all you guys want them paid peanuts because you're still supporting the UFC.

Me you ask? If they don't unionize, nothing will ever change. Show me a pro sport and I'll show you the union. There's a reason for that. It's just the problem is the big wigs want all the money and the people who pay for it (us) don't ever want to pay more for something then we already do. Vicious circle.

No they shouldn't. If it's too little money, then can do something else for work. Let the market decide what they should be paid. Looks like all you guys want them paid peanuts because you're still supporting the UFC.

Me you ask? If they don't unionize, nothing will ever change. Show me a pro sport and I'll show you the union. There's a reason for that. It's just the problem is the big wigs want all the money and the people who pay for it (us) don't ever want to pay more for something then we already do. Vicious circle.

There is no golfing, racing, tennis, or boxing union.

Individual sports generally do not have unions.

There are governing bodies and federations, but that's more about regulations and nothing to do with the split of profits and sponsorships. All that stuff is worked out contractually between the leagues, sponsors, and participants on an individual basis.

Back