Shotgun Recomendations?

SamuraiRat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I own an old Remington 870. I'm in the mood for something new. My pops may be buying property near the coast or up north. I want a shotgun that can handle the sandy and wet, or the cold and wet. I'm down to 3 choices.

Remington 887 "Bone Collector''- I love how mean it looks and how it will never rust according to Remington. It's supposed to take a hell of a beating. I can't seem to find a whole lot of reviews based on actual field testing though.

Benelli Nova or Supernova (The tactical one which ever one it is)- I read how the 887 was a response to this well reviewed shotgun.

Remington, or Mossberg Marine Magnums- I've always thought they looked sexy. And the coat is also supposed to prevent rust.

I've yet to handle a Benelli, but I've always read good stuff about the brand. I'm curious if anybody has taken the new 887 through the paces yet, and are the marine magnums as tough as advertised?

Thankful for any input.

The Mossberg marines was the first shotgun I would have thought of, but overall, I'd go with the Benelli. I've heard nothing but praise for it.

I currently have an 870 Wingmaster but I've been looking at new tactical shotguns. I'm really considering the Benelli SuperNova Tactical as it has a lot of features for the money (full stock with pistol grip, ghost ring sights, etc.). Also, Benelli has a rebate right now on their guns ($50 for most, $200 for the M4).

I'd definately go with a marine stainless steel version if you're going to stay anywhere near the beach. Salt and water will damage a gun quickly.

remingtonmarine01sv4.jpg

Benelli... most amazing shotguns EVER

What are you using it for? I would asume hunting since your worried about sandy wet conditions but then you mention tactical, this makes a very big difference with chamber size and barrel length. If you're considering it for waterfowl hunting you're going to want a longer barrel usually and stay clear of anything stainless as nothing will turn a bird faster than catching a flash.

I asked my dad if I should look into getting a Model 12 Winchester 20 gauge (he has the 12 gauge) and he told me to get a Benelli.

Let me fix my post:
protection? Benelli Nova
hunting? Benelli Black Eagle 2 (which I have)

I have an 870 police mag for duty carry. I live in south florida. Every summer, i crank the a/c in the car. When i open the door on a call, the moisture in the air condenses on everything including the shotgun in the rack. I've dropped it in dirt and on shell rock at the range. When i carried it in the trunk of my car, it got knocked around pretty good and tumbled around with ballistic shields, a helmet, fire extinguisher..yadda yadda. According to the issue records, the gun was purchased in 2000. After almost 11 years (i've had it for 8) that gun is a little worn looking on the outside but functions like a finely tuned race car. That's because i clean it everytime i use it and lube it occasionally. That 870 you have is probably one of the best shotguns you can own. Want something new? Check out scattergun technologies and mesa tactical. Give it a paint job, a mag tube extension and maybe a new hogue stock...then go shoot the shit out of it. Don't waste your money on a new gun

Best do it all ever designed on gods green earth,

THE Mossberg 590a.

securedownload1w.jpg

I dont think I would take that gun waterfowl hunting.. :icon_lol:

I'm partial to Remington. I have an 870 SPS Shurshot Synthetic Turkey I picked up last year. It's a lot of fun to shoot. My next purchase would be a tactical shotgun. Maybe another Remington, the 887 Nitro Mag Tactical, or a Mossberg, probably the 500 or 590 series.

I love the big plastic bottle of alcohol in the picture.

It's Buffalo Trace bourbon, if you are going to be the "Oh I found something unintended in the post, how fucking ironic guy" at least show a modicum of intelligence in your post.

Get out of the house baby.

Back