Short-term goals in Sparring

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by BrokenNose, Jul 23, 2010.

1. BrokenNose

BrokenNose Orange Belt

I try to spar pretty regularly, but I'm still new at it. I flinch pretty badly. I get shut down in flurries of punches.

My question is this: what should I concentrate on achieving during those flurries?

Move my head? Stay calm? Try to actively defend? Try to counter? Should I let the flurry happen in the first place?

I know I should be jabbing a hellofalot to shut down ridiculous wailing like that on me, but I'm such a newbie right now that I just don't quite understand the science of boxing.

Right now I'm trying to move my head, keep my hands up, and jab, but I'm blinded by the punches. I'll be sparring regularly still, but I'd like to have some input on stuff I can work on while in the ring.

Thanks. Sorry if this has been beaten to death.

2. DkMacaw

DkMacaw Brown Belt

you must do something unless you're gassed. if it's MT, go into the clinch, if it's KB try and counter but most importantly, move away.

3. BrokenNose

BrokenNose Orange Belt

It's just boxing.

The problem is that anything I think of doing, it doesn't happen because I'm being shut down by the flurries; I just flinch too much. I want to not be shut down. I want to know the little things I can work on so eventually I stop being helpless in a barrage of punches.

4. HoyBoi

HoyBoi Orange Belt

In order of importance and the easiest (for me at least):

1. Keep you eyes open to see the punches coming (don't know how badly you're flinching, but when I first started, I would turn away or turtle up and become a punching bag...)

2. Move your feet to get away

3. Move your head to defend but keep your range

4. Learn to counter while doing #3 / #4....

Just my $0.02, hope that helps.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  5. vjvj

vjvj Mr. Pibb + Red Vines = Crazy Delicious

Staying calm and keeping your eyes on your opponent/not flinching are very important, but they will improve as long as you keep sparring.

My advice would be to establish a core set of basic tools to use:

1. A good jab. I can almost guarantee that part of the reason they are teeing off on you is because you don't have a jab. It needs to be fast, it needs to HURT, and you need to be accurate and have good timing with it. If your jab sucks, they will just walk through it and tee off on you. Never stop training the jab :)

2. Basic defense. Catch jabs with your rear hand, and use simple Crazy Monkey/Chicken Wing-style blocks for everything else. When you feel comfortable with this, start working head movement and slips in.

3. Footwork and stance. This is complicated, so ask your coach to help you with this.

Even with all of the above, you will still "lose" rounds against the experienced guys, but it will be enough to give you confidence to survive and start to figure things out. You're not really learning anything if you're just being a human heavy bag.

Past that, start working head movement/slips and working some crosses in (use the jab to set them up). Then, start learning to control range. This is super, super important, and until you learn this you will always lose rounds to guys who know how to control range better than you do.

Stick with it and good luck :) Everyone always gets their ass kicked when they start sparring. You will get better if you don't give up.

6. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

Hands up, chin down and keep moving.

7. CONQUERER23

CONQUERER23 Orange Belt

It's normal for newer boxers to flinch like crazy during sparring. Eventually, you'll keep them eyes open and start seeing what's coming and you will defend. All of the above advice given was very good. Another thing to think about it to start creating angles and make sure you stay away from your sparring partner's strong hand. Start workin on the parrying the jabs while simultaneously throwing your jab straight at his face. That'll stop him from continuing that flurry.

8. BrokenNose

BrokenNose Orange Belt

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Will definitely keep working the jab. I'm probably too preoccupied with getting the jab to land rather than using it to control the distance and pace.

9. Oh Mah Gawd

Oh Mah Gawd Orange Belt

Master a few basic tools.

Proper forward backward footwork. Lateral footwork.

Be very good at the following: Covering/Absorbing punches on the arms and shoulders, Slipping, Weaving, Pivoting.

When your opponent attacks THAT is the perfect time to use footwork, slip, weave, pivot... whatever you need to do to create the angles to counterattack.

If you don't hit back you are that much easier to overwhelm and show no respect for...

10. Bennosuke

Bennosuke Blue Belt

Ask your coach. He can probably see things that you could change to improve your fight during an opponent's flurries. Also, simply more practice will help you calm down and will make things slow down a little for you.

11. ktrp

ktrp Green Belt

Think of your jab more as something that disrupts your opponent.

Hands up, chin tucked.

Move laterally. Backing straight up is not very effective. Much like fleeing from an oncoming car, you need to move sideways.

I still don't do it automatically, but I'm working on it.

12. Corey Roberts

Corey Roberts Amateur Fighter

One thing i've found is that when your sparring partner starts to throw and you're not quite ready to counter cause you're gassed or whatever other reason is take a shuffle back at a 45 degree angle, nothing fucks me off more than when i go to throw and the guy is always that little bit out of reach.

As for the flinching you have to be mindful of it in sparring and keep your eyes open during exchanges. Also drills will help fix it, thast why i like crazy monkey so much it was actually designed by rodney for beginners not to get hit so much and build confidence for them to then go onto attribute based stuff like slipping and parrying.

Drills like this would help

Have someone start out slow and just keep your eyes open and pick off the shots with your forearms and elbows. Then once you get that down have them throw a little harder and keep on progressing untill the flinching problem is gone.

13. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

Don't be too calm because I've been told to punch back and realised that for the past two minutes I haven't thrown a punch but curled up a little and started dodging punches. If we were kickboxing like normal I would of got my ass kicked

14. bleaK

bleaK Blue Belt

Stay awake!

15. barrin6

barrin6 White Belt

As everyone has said before, the jab is the best thing. I suck at sparring and always get my ass kick, but my jab has always kept me alive and not get railed on. It's so sweet to see the jab connect and have them disrupt their combo. Most of the time when you connect, whatever punch they are throwing either lose its power or completely miss since you are blocking his view and putting him off balance.

16. RMMaryport

RMMaryport Green Belt

Jabs and footwork I believe is your solution :)

17. BrokenNose

BrokenNose Orange Belt

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll definitely be trying to work on this stuff.

18. Higus

Higus Gold Belt

I'm just posting so I can check this out later