short aggressive and powerful fighteres

Timothy Bradley and Shawn Porter.

You missed the powerful part.

The guys I listed are both physically powerful. Maybe you're thinking of punching power? Being physically powerful and having punching power are different traits, and having one doesn't mean you have the other.

The guys I listed are both physically powerful. Maybe you're thinking of punching power? Being physically powerful and having punching power are different traits, and having one doesn't mean you have the other.

This is true. Shawn Porter is especially strong for a welterweight. I was thinking of punching power because that seemed to be the premise of the thread.

This is true. Shawn Porter is especially strong for a welterweight. I was thinking of punching power because that seemed to be the premise of the thread.

Oh okay, I didn't interpret the title as necessarily relating to punching power. If that's the case, neither guy I mentioned has exceptional power in their hands, but they do have the physical power to impose their will.

Tyson and Marciano are the first ones that come to mind.

how about Dick Tiger never watched his fights but he was short.

Dwight Qawi is the definition of what you're looking for. I've watched every single one of his fights on Youtube and they were always entertaining. The beatings he put on Matthew Muhammed were positively stunning. His clowning of Leon Spinks was awe-inspiring. His decision to eat his way to HW and fight Foreman... Let's move on.

That guy fought the absolute best at LHW and CW and simply does not get enough credit from modern boxing media for being as good as he really was. The Camden Buzzsaw was the shit. Period.

On a side note, about 3 years ago on FNF they did a show from NJ and Qawi was in the crowd. I swear, he must've been 300 pounds.

I'd also point out that hard fighting aggressive guys have short primes. They burn out very fast, either mentally or physically or both. I don't really know. But the hard aggressors burn out fast. In fact, I thought Pac would be fried by now because of his intensity, in this age, it's just not the same.

I remember Manny Steward talking about this with regards to Tyson. He said that short power punchers have to train with a crazy intensity to build up the cardio necessary to push the pace and throw bombs and deal with the clinch of a larger man for a potential 36 minutes. They don't really have the luxury of hiding behind a jab and keeping their offensive output to a minimum. They have to constantly be moving to get inside and then they have to work once there instead of just hanging on.

It's the training that really tends to burn guys out more than anything else. According to Manny, anyways. Makes sense to me.

Dwight Qawi is the definition of what you're looking for. I've watched every single one of his fights on Youtube and they were always entertaining. The beatings he put on Matthew Muhammed were positively stunning. His clowning of Leon Spinks was awe-inspiring. His decision to eat his way to HW and fight Foreman... Let's move on.

That guy fought the absolute best at LHW and CW and simply does not get enough credit from modern boxing media for being as good as he really was. The Camden Buzzsaw was the shit. Period.

On a side note, about 3 years ago on FNF they did a show from NJ and Qawi was in the crowd. I swear, he must've been 300 pounds.

That Foreman fight was very interesting. I highly recommend anyone watch it who hasn't seen it before. Qawi came in very heavy, and early on before he gassed he was almost nailing Foreman at will, bouncing many clean shots off his head. Foreman started to get visibly frustrated and even looked stunned a few times; he started to use some dirty tactics on Qawi - shoving him down on the ground, rabbit punching him, etc..

I think if Qawi had not gassed he was on his way to winning that fight and maybe even stopping George.

Another interesting fact about that fight was that George was the lightest in his whole comeback, 235lbs.

Check out the 14:15 mark here, Qawi pulls a funny fake-out move on George.

Last edited:
I think that's the fight where george stopped trying to come in light, he didn't look as good. quawi was a great, deceptive fighter. Michael Spinks' best performance was against him, I remember reading how eddie Futch warned spinks that Quawi would stick his chin out and draw a right hand, and no matter how tempting it was, not to throw it because Quawi would roll and counter.

I think that's the fight where george stopped trying to come in light, he didn't look as good. quawi was a great, deceptive fighter. Michael Spinks' best performance was against him, I remember reading how eddie Futch warned spinks that Quawi would stick his chin out and draw a right hand, and no matter how tempting it was, not to throw it because Quawi would roll and counter.

Bert Cooper, when his head was right, was another great, short powerful fighter. I would have enjoyed seeing Bert fight against Qawi or Tyson. I saw Bert ko Rocky Pepeli live, and he could really bang. Joe Frazier, who trained Bert early, once said that Cooper was the best natural puncher he ever trained.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back