Shopify bans sale of most firearms and parts

spamking

The world is your Indian taco
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Link

"From time to time, Shopify reviews and amends the terms, conditions and policies governing the use of our platform. We have recently amended our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) to restrict the sale of certain firearms and parts on our platform," the company stated in an email. "As we continue to scale globally, we may further refine our policies as needed."

The company told the Associated Press that the change affected "a small number of merchants," but would not give a specific number.

The decision to enter the fray over guns—a particularly heated debate in the U.S.—marks a change in stance for Shopify, which in the past has shown a reluctance to get drawn into cross-border debates.

"Solely deferring to the law, in this age of political gridlock is too idealistic and functionally unworkable on the fast-moving internet," Shopify CEO Tobi Lutke wrote in a blog post. "We addressed this vacuum by creating a carefully crafted acceptable use policy which allows space for all types of products, even the ones that we disagree with, but not for the kind of products intended to harm."

This last paragraph is such a load of crap . . . glad I have an alternative in place to sell. Many dealers have been impacted by this and other virtue signaling from banks.

Anyone have time and money to invest in a platform that would cater to licensed FFLs? If so, now is your chance.

The stock's been getting crushed the last few weeks. Fuck'em.

Thought this might get more discussion . . . oh well.

Their choice but I hope they go tits up in the bowl.

If you don't like the policies a company has, don't shop there.
HGgC.gif

what the fuck is shopify. is it like spotify?

The problem is I don't think most of us have heard of shopify, so no one cares that much.

The problem is I don't think most of us have heard of shopify, so no one cares that much.
Is shopify a website?

<FookIsThatGuy>

If you don't like the policies a company has, don't shop there.
HGgC.gif

what the fuck is shopify. is it like spotify?

Yeah what is Shopify?

So y'all couldn't be bothered to read the article?

Shopify is a selling service for online merchants . . . Franklin Armory used them to sell triggers and other parts.

Shopify is a selling service for online merchants . . . Franklin Armory used them to sell triggers and other parts.
They should still sell them, but I don't care if they don't.

Do you want to force them to offer their services to gun merchants?

Do you want to force them to offer their services to gun merchants?

I don't necessarily want to force anyone to do anything . . . that's why I said if you've got the means to stand up a gun-friendly solution for selling/payment processing now might be your shot to get rich.

It's just unfortunate that Monday it was acceptable to sell and then later it was suddenly a problem.

This isn't a black market for anything . . . these are legal businesses. Some banks are suddenly virtue signaling and refusing to process payments too.

They should still sell them, but I don't care if they don't.

Doesn't make much sense for a company to choose to lose money like that . . . but I guess folks can find a different platform.

You're only going to get 2A nutters replying in a thread like this.

(Oh, and those who want to poke the 2A nutters with a stick.) :)

You're only going to get 2A nutters replying in a thread like this.

(Oh, and those who want to poke the 2A nutters with a stick.) :)

I figured all of those folks whining about someone not baking a cake or Alex Jones getting kicked off Twitter might have a comment or two.

I don't necessarily want to force anyone to do anything . . . that's why I said if you've got the means to stand up a gun-friendly solution for selling/payment processing now might be your shot to get rich.

It's just unfortunate that Monday it was acceptable to sell and then later it was suddenly a problem.

This isn't a black market for anything . . . these are legal businesses. Some banks are suddenly virtue signaling and refusing to process payments too.

For this particular company to choose to no longer allow firearms or firearm parts to be supported by them, is kind of a non issues. The banks refusing to loan to firearms manufacturers and places refusing to sell long arms to people under 21, is a much bigger issue. The banks may be denying those companies the ability to do business, where I don't believe that to be the case here.

For this particular company to choose to no longer allow firearms or firearm parts to be supported by them, is kind of a non issues.

Agree to disagree on whether this is an issue or not . . . I happen to believe it is. Especially based on the actions of other commonly used platforms. Of course there are other options, but most aren't as "dummy proof" as Shopify or Etsy, etc.

The banks refusing to loan to firearms manufacturers and places refusing to sell long arms to people under 21, is a much bigger issue. The banks may be denying those companies the ability to do business, where I don't believe that to be the case here.

There is not accepting new customers who sell firearms and then there is cutting off/removing existing customers . . . completely removing an existing customers ability to process online payments without notice is definitely denying their ability to do business.

Lots of people have problems selling things designed to kill people. I wouldn't want to be a part of it either.

Link

This last paragraph is such a load of crap . . . glad I have an alternative in place to sell. Many dealers have been impacted by this and other virtue signaling from banks.

Anyone have time and money to invest in a platform that would cater to licensed FFLs? If so, now is your chance.
Free market strikes again.

Back