Shop owner told me I need "Iso 2 Gainer", not Whey...

Justice 4 All

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So yeah, I stopped into a shop today to see what kind of prices they were offering some whey isolate powder.

Got into a conversation with the owner, and he proceeded to tell me that whey is primarily useful for maintaining muscle mass, whereas (his suggested supplement) Iso 2 Gainer is more applicable towards my goals (in getting bigger and stronger).

Is there any merit to what he told me?

For anyone unfamiliar with the product:

Iso2 Complete Gainer

I think you misunderstood him: He meant you purchasing that stuff is more applicable to HIS goal (of emptying your wallet in his shop)

Seriously, if you're using whey as it's supposed to be used, as a supplement to a good diet then it's fine. If you eat like a little girl and can't gain weight as a result, then maybe his product has some merit. It's a "weight gainer" basically because you're supposed to take a shitload of it per the instructions & they throw in some added sugar & fat. If you follow the instructions, a 5kg tub of it will only last you about 18 days.

Yeah I suspected he might have ulterior motives :p.

Right now I'm on GOMAD, with whatever else general nutrition I can fork down. But a gallon of milk a day is really exhausting... After a few weeks (or whenever I "start shitting cheese" :D) I'll just go back to eating heavily (somewhat nutritiously), with myprotein.com whey isolate to top it off.

Thanks Ronin.

Any time. Do you eat any organ meat? That is one good way to get some nutrient dense food in you at a relatively low cost

Like Liver and stuff?

I am living in the country that spawned "Haggis". Maybe I'll give that a try one of these days :D.

They also spawned the "deep fried mars bar" o_O...

I like elk heart best, but beef heart is pretty good too.

So yeah, I stopped into a shop today to see what kind of prices they were offering some whey isolate powder.

Got into a conversation with the owner, and he proceeded to tell me that whey is primarily useful for maintaining muscle mass, whereas (his suggested supplement) Iso 2 Gainer is more applicable towards my goals (in getting bigger and stronger).

Is there any merit to what he told me?

For anyone unfamiliar with the product:

Iso2 Complete Gainer

Here is an alternative to what he suggests: just buy whey protein, then for the additional energy you need you can eat whatever carb- and fat-sources you actually find nice to eat, e.g. cheese pasta, and pizza

Actually, he might have a point. Recommending Carbs + Protein for a post-WO shake is common for guys wanting to induce a more anabolic effect. Ultimately, it's all about calories for gaining mass.

As someone who currently works at a GNC, don't fucking listen to people in nutrition stores. Do the research yourself and find out what's best for you.

Actually, he might have a point. Recommending Carbs + Protein for a post-WO shake is common for guys wanting to induce a more anabolic effect. Ultimately, it's all about calories for gaining mass.

So are you suggesting that it would be more beneficial to take that as a post workout drink rather than a general nutrition supplement (2-3 servings a day as per recommendation)?

SCHNAPPP...Madmick back in D&S...its like 2006 all over again.

Here is an alternative to what he suggests: just buy whey protein, then for the additional energy you need you can eat whatever carb- and fat-sources you actually find nice to eat, e.g. cheese pasta, and pizza

PIZZA IS FULL OF FATS THAT ARE LABELED AS BAD FATS IN THIS FORUMS FAQ. Had to caps lock that, hope nobodies eyes have taken damage

I certainly wouldn't pretend to know more than MM. I'm just saying there are better, more cost-efficient ways of getting carbs & protein PWO. Like chocolate milk for example.

I certainly wouldn't pretend to know more than MM. I'm just saying there are better, more cost-efficient ways of getting carbs & protein PWO. Like chocolate milk for example.

It's a shame he didn't reply...

Maybe it'd be a good idea to have a muesli bar (or 2) with my pwo shake.

As someone who currently works at a GNC, don't fucking listen to people in nutrition stores. Do the research yourself and find out what's best for you.

What he said. But not the guy telling you to eat elk heart for mass ...

So are you suggesting that it would be more beneficial to take that as a post workout drink rather than a general nutrition supplement (2-3 servings a day as per recommendation)?

If you really need calories in a postwork out drink I suggest this much cheaper idea from myprotein.co.uk. Buy your usual whey powder, then for

PIZZA IS FULL OF FATS THAT ARE LABELED AS BAD FATS IN THIS FORUMS FAQ. Had to caps lock that, hope nobodies eyes have taken damage

If hes bulking and isn't use to eating large amounts of food, pizza can be pretty handy at adding mass. Pizza shouldn't be a daily staple but using it as a bulking food for a few weeks/months can help you achieve your goal.

Of course as you get use to eating more you can think about your macros more closely and switch 'healthier' calorie dense food than pizza.

When you buy a gainer shake instead of whey, you're almost invariably wasting money on cheap carbs/sugar. If you want carbs/sugar in your shake (which is a separate discussion), fine, but there are 1,001 ways to add those carbs on your own very inexpensively, and you get to determine the source.

I used to eat a large pizza quite often when I bulked. I believe Rip said if you're not eating a pizza slathered in olive oil while bulking, you're not trying. or something to that effect. Anyway, back to the topic. the price far outweighs the extra benefits of said super gainer mass builder shake or whatever it's called. If extra carbs are needed post workout, eat something with your shake. It will save you mucho instead of buying some weight gainer that costs a fortune and will run out in 2 weeks

Back