SHOOTO was light years ahead of the UFC

KID Yamamoto

PREMIUM DYNAMITE
@Black
Reaction score

Although obviously crude their style of fighting shown here is much more alike to modern MMA than very early UFC's style
GettyImages-285891.jpg

Lack of truly competitive Asian organizations leaves a giant void in MMA

The western entertainment industry dominated version of MMA is Great in its own way but there's something truly special about how Japan approaches martial arts that America will never capture

And it's sad

ufc 1 was a long running ad for gracie jiujitsu. Japan has kudo, combat wrestling and other hybrid fighting styles already established before 1993.

The entertainment industry dominated version of MMA is Great in its own way but there's something truly special about how Japan approaches martial arts that America will never capture

And it's sad
Rizin is bringing it back but after K-1 and DREAM slowly died out the star power of Japanese MMA left and so did those who wanted to become fighters.
Thankfully RIZIN is doing very good numbers and only growing.

The entertainment industry dominated version of MMA is Great in its own way but there's something truly special about how Japan approaches martial arts that America will never capture

And it's sad
Not Japanese, but ONE is getting there.

The fight around 11:00 really did look a bit like a modern mma fight. Brutal KO too

Rizin is bringing it back but after K-1 and DREAM slowly died out the star power of japanese MMA left and so did those who anted to be come fighters.
Thankfully RIZIN is doing very good numbers and only growing.
I like RIZIN and think it has potential, but dont act like it is ANYTHING like PRIDE etc.
I can tell you a MAD RIZIN propogandist LOL<45><45><45><45><45>

I like RIZIN and think it has potential, but dont act like it is ANYTHING like PRIDE etc.
I can tell you a MAD RIZIN propogandist LOL<45><45><45><45><45>
Lol I don't think I ever said it was?
I'm saying its doing very good numbers and is bringing huge interest to the sport over there. Their bantamweight divison and below is good but yeah its still pretty early in development competition-wise.

Not Japanese, but ONE is getting there.
I love everything about ONE except for the "every fighter was bullied" angle they're going with their marketing and their budget Lenne Hardt. Let's not start with Chatri the walking fortune cookie or whoever is ghost writing for him.

Oh man does anyone have that KO gif old school shooto knee and soccer kicks?

I love everything about ONE except for the "every fighter was bullied" angle they're going with their marketing and their budget Lenne Hardt. Let's not start with Chatri the walking fortune cookie or whoever is ghost writing for him.
They are trying to inspire the world by creating real life superheroes, bro.

Anyway your minor gripes are dwarved by the fact that they have world class MMA, Kickboxing and Muay Thai on the same card and it's all free on YouTube (for most of the world).
<Moves>

And the Thai lesbian version of Lenne Hardt has grown on me. She sounds like that discount Lenne Hardt K1 used to have.

Although obviously crude their style of fighting shown here is much more alike to modern MMA than very early UFC's style
GettyImages-285891.jpg

Very cool, what REALLY stands out to me is the Bushido spirit, i watched about 30 mins of that so far and i never saw someone shy to step forward and fight. They all give it everything they have, fearlessly. Beautiful and admirable.

It sucks that there is very little info and virtually no footage of the earliest shooto events.

It was before Pancrase, and the only stuff before Shooto was Rickson Gracie fights and stuff like Gene LeBell vs Milo Savage, iirc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back