shooting

1) Whatever competition you are doing where you are allowed to slam is messed up and probably low-level.

its actually international :3 a guy named john tuck joined it...and a couple of guys from gracie barra i think... i dont know if its called slamming or just a hard td... but it involves a double ...pulling the guy legs up and dropping ur weight on him.... so maybe its not called a slam :)

To me, a slam means you pick a guy up in one motion and then in another motion you forcibly "slam" him back dow to the ground. That is not allowed in any pure grappling organization that I know of. MMA....sure...grappling no.

In most cases, a good hard takedown is allowed of course. You can shoot a double and drive through a guy. You can trip or flip a guy hard etc. You can't shoot a double and then elevate the guy with the intention of slamming him. If you end up holding a guy in the air, it is your responsibility to deliver the rest of the take down in a controlled and safe manner.

That being said, having the ability to get the guys feet off the ground or at least unweighted enough to manipulate his movement is effective. If you're having trouble "lifting" a guy of similar weight it's probably more about not having your hips and feet right than it is about strength and stamina.

This could happen for a lot of reasons. You could be telegraphing your shot and allowing the guy to get his hips down on you. You might not be getting deep enough on the guy and trying lift from too far out. You might not be getting your hips low enough and maybe you're trying to lift with your lower back.

Work on getting deep and low with your shots. Shoot from a closer distance and pay attention to the other guys footwork and movement. Fake a shot. See what he does. Do a half ass shot. Fake another shot. Half fake a shot and then actually shoot etc etc.

maybe my terminology is wrong :) so should i change it to hard takedown?....ive tried practicing....but i find that i cant control my momentum and just go straight thru...maybe my partners arent balanced well enuf

To me, a slam means you pick a guy up in one motion and then in another motion you forcibly "slam" him back dow to the ground. That is not allowed in any pure grappling organization that I know of. MMA....sure...grappling no.

In most cases, a good hard takedown is allowed of course. You can shoot a double and drive through a guy. You can trip or flip a guy hard etc. You can't shoot a double and then elevate the guy with the intention of slamming him. If you end up holding a guy in the air, it is your responsibility to deliver the rest of the take down in a controlled and safe manner.

That being said, having the ability to get the guys feet off the ground or at least unweighted enough to manipulate his movement is effective. If you're having trouble "lifting" a guy of similar weight it's probably more about not having your hips and feet right than it is about strength and stamina.

This could happen for a lot of reasons. You could be telegraphing your shot and allowing the guy to get his hips down on you. You might not be getting deep enough on the guy and trying lift from too far out. You might not be getting your hips low enough and maybe you're trying to lift with your lower back.

Work on getting deep and low with your shots. Shoot from a closer distance and pay attention to the other guys footwork and movement. Fake a shot. See what he does. Do a half ass shot. Fake another shot. Half fake a shot and then actually shoot etc etc.

well said.

Practice shooting under something you've hung up (rope, belt, jacket, speed ball [watch out if you use this]). It really helps you learn to change levels and get under someone.

you have to lift the backs of his knees as you drive in. Don't just keep your hands there doing nothing, pull his legs back (not up) off the ground as your shoulder drives into him.

thanks guys!! seriously!! my shoot now works wonders! i tried turning an angle at training yesterday...also used my hips and legs over my upper body more...AWESOME!!! THANK YOU!!!

ive tried...and im still trying to increase my stamina...i run like crazy everyday...like about 6-8 miles...but still my stamina is super weak...im not trying to break the guys bones...im just trying to knock the wind outta him

When you run is it just at one steady pace?
I only run about 2 miles but I sprint at least 50% of those 2 miles.
And I do stadiums along with the sprints and I'm pretty well conditioned for my size.
Slamming IMO is a waste of energy but sometimes your opponent slams themselves.
I was never really good at/or into slamming but I was really good at shooting, grabbing a double or single, turning the corner, and twisting/dragging them down while only getting back up about halfway if I needed the extra leverage to get them down because I wanted to get it to the ground as quickly as possible and it always tired them out after 2 or 3 more takedowns like that.

EDIT: KEEP THE HEAD UP. I just watched the wall drill video and I barely noticed that I always keep the head up. (it's second nature now so that's why I forgot to mention that earlier)

But what you want to do is clear the hands, and set up the TD really good, take a really deep shot, get as far underneath until you can clasp your hands together around their legs which eliminates their ability to sprawl because by then it's too late, come back up, pick em up, drop em.
Or you can just bullrush and muscle them into it but that takes work most times.

Last edited:
First things first. If you are running 6-8 miles a day your cardio is fine. Your muscluar endurance is the problem. Luckily the best cure for that is lots and lots of rolling.

Whether or not it is legal in various comps is irrelavent to the questions. Slamming is less about technique as it is power. I was a dick when I wrestled in high school. I also had a slow shot for my weight class and power to spare for my weight class. When I shot, I would suck in the legs, stand up and slam.

the keys technically are hips up your head, back straight, getting low and staying tight.

To build the power, do lots of Cleans, Snatchs, kettleball swings and just practice shooting and lifting over and over again. the power and explosiveness come from your hips.

With all that said, most of the posters here are correct, it is better to do a double properly then always try to slam. Unless you get it right away, you will waste alot of energy trying to get that slam.

thank you!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! This is what i was looking for!! now time to practice

Anytime, glad I could help. I feel like my shot gets better every single time I drill it, so drill away!

thanks guys!! seriously!! my shoot now works wonders! i tried turning an angle at training yesterday...also used my hips and legs over my upper body more...AWESOME!!! THANK YOU!!!

Excellent!

Great find!!!!

I found a lot of helpful information in this post. Neck strengthening exercises as well as the "headup" emphasis on your shot. A lot of us bjj players/standup guys didn't wrestle in high school, and with no sub forum for pure wrestling in f12, threads like this are golden. Thanks.

Two things made my shoot work well, proper level change and posture while shooting. You want to be looking up when youre shooting, not diving into the legs. Your head needs to be higher than your hips when you penetrate, and when you close the distance, look up and drive your head against opponents armpit.

Correct posture makes its easier to drive your opponent to the direction you want to and correct head position gets him off balance and you wont be caught in a guillotine.

There is nothing wrong with taking people down, with conviction.

I have a problem though with building a game plan around counting on your opponent falling with enough intensity to make up the stamina gap that you perceive.

Why not just improve your stamina, so that you can improve your position no matter what sort of take down you get?

Here's a tip, without so much "slamming" the guy.

When you do a double leg and drive thru or flare, when you land, land on the opponent's stomach or solar plexus with your shoulder bone (drive your weight into it. I guarantee it's gonna knock the the wind out of him and shock him for a few seconds.

When you do that, use that few first seconds of disorientation to immediately take a better position.

Back