shooting

dkaki

White Belt
Reaction score
alright i got the shooting for the tdown tech pretty well... my prob is i cant seem to lift the guy... i just go thru and thru to put the guy on the mat... now what do i have to develop in order to lift the guy? since slamming while in the guard is not allowed in bjj and o gi grappling(which kinda sucks)...i wanna learn how to do a hard td by double leg...to sorta knock the wind out of the guy ...coz stamina isnt one of my strong points... any tips on how to do this?

Last edited:
It's more of a drive than a lift, and that's your problem. And you don't want to drive straight in, you should be turning the corner at an angle. The goal of a shot is to get the person down, and if you're doing that, then mission accomplished.

If your strategy in a grappling competition is to hurt the guy to damage him first, that's not good. This isn't a video game. People don't have damage meters. Work on your skill and conditioning, and get a real strategy.

did the OP make sense at all?

because slamming's not legal, he wants to learn how to do it?

also, there's a decent thread on this not two weeks old. has to be in the top 3-4 pages still

If you don't want to go through the guy and you want more of a slam you should try turning the corner more. Once you have shot in and you have done your penetrating step and your hands are in position you want to turn the corner. Your head should be next to the guy's ribs. You want to drive into his body with your head and upper body, and with your hands you want to lift on one side and pull with the other to make his hips go horizontal in the air. Its not much of a lift the guy high up into the air move, but if you don't want to go through a guy turning the corner is the next best thing.

It's more of a drive than a lift, and that's your problem. And you don't want to drive straight in, you should be turning the corner at an angle. The goal of a shot is to get the person down, and if you're doing that, then mission accomplished.

If your strategy in a grappling competition is to hurt the guy to damage him first, that's not good. This isn't a video game. People don't have damage meters. Work on your skill and conditioning, and get a real strategy.

QFT.

Some positions off a shot lend themselves to a lift, but IMHO lots more lead to a dragging, driving, dumping, or tripping motion (see: running the pipe).

Like everyone else said, it is not about picking up & slamming, it's about drive. I personally see it more as a "dump" than anything (like dumping a bucket).

Just practice the entire process very slowly, but add most emphasis on the "dump". To make it even simpler, just put yourself in the very last step (right before the drop).

Assuming you're doing everything else right (level change, penetration step, trap the legs, head turn/torque and drive), it's simply a matter of lifting the arm that's on the same side as the head, while pushing the other one sideways.

Ideally you're opponent should fall to the side (90 degrees), not straight backwards (unless you're going for a trip).

This is actually what I've been drilling as of late, so I make sure to practice and drill as much as I can.

Last edited:
alright i got the shooting for the tdown tech pretty well... my prob is i cant seem to lift the guy... i just go thru and thru to put the guy on the mat... now what do i have to develop in order to lift the guy? since slamming while in the guard is not allowed in bjj and o gi grappling(which kinda sucks)... thats one of the reasons why i wanna learn hot to slam with the takedown...coz i really wanna damage the guy first ...coz stamina isnt one of my strong points... any tips on how to do this?

Slamming? Whenever somebody slammed me I got pissed off and made sure I crossfaced them real good, and drove my head into the back of their jaw extra hard every chance I got back when I wrestled.
It's not a lift if your doing it right, but more of a drive which explains the need for reshots and turning the corner when attempting to the takedown. Even when I managed to hit a perfect double against a guy of similar size and weight more often than not it was way easier to turn the corner and dump him over and get my TD. But, you need a quick, strong shot to get in deep and serious strength in your back, legs, and arms.
But in all honesty.
If your stamina isn't so great why not work on that instead of trying to hurt a guy in a GRAPPLING tournament. Stamina > UFC Fighting slam anyday.

Last edited:
Too many kids play too many video games while watching WWE.

don't fucking slam in a grappling tourney.

you'll paint a target on your back and you'd be lucky to leave the venue with only a few broken bones.

Only slam someone if they have you in a triangle...a la Quinton Jackson, obviously.

er ....as i said...i want to slam him with a td...not while hes guarding... slamming isnt allowed only when guarded...or when a submission is applied ...but when getting a td...u CAN... and you do damage the guy...my words mustve been wrong... lets make it simpler....i wanna knock the wind outta him first....this is a serious question of technique and i asked with all honesty...so a lil slack please...if u know the answer then just say it...no need for side comments

Like everyone else said, it is not about picking up & slamming, it's about drive. I personally see it more as a "dump" than anything (like dumping a bucket).

Just practice the entire process very slowly, but add most emphasis on the "dump". To make it even simpler, just put yourself in the very last step (right before the drop).

Assuming you're doing everything else right (level change, penetration step, trap the legs, head turn/torque and drive), it's simply a matter of lifting the arm that's on the same side as the head, while pushing the other one sideways.

Ideally you're opponent should fall to the side (90 degrees), not straight backwards (unless you're going for a trip).

This is actually what I've been drilling as of late, so I make sure to practice and drill as much as I can.

YouTube - 08.13.10 (slow double)

thank you!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! This is what i was looking for!! now time to practice

Too many kids play too many video games while watching WWE.

u my friend are showing symptoms of being slammed around too much...theres a reason why the others got my question and you didnt...my words may have been all messed up but it only takes a few brain cells to fully understand it and to just answer the question rather than trying to start a flame

don't fucking slam in a grappling tourney.

you'll paint a target on your back and you'd be lucky to leave the venue with only a few broken bones.

let me say it again...its allowed to slam when trying to do a td...its not allowed when being guarded or being submitted.... read the question first please

Slamming? Whenever somebody slammed me I got pissed off and made sure I crossfaced them real good, and drove my head into the back of their jaw extra hard every chance I got back when I wrestled.
It's not a lift if your doing it right, but more of a drive which explains the need for reshots and turning the corner when attempting to the takedown. Even when I managed to hit a perfect double against a guy of similar size and weight more often than not it was way easier to turn the corner and dump him over and get my TD. But, you need a quick, strong shot to get in deep and serious strength in your back, legs, and arms.
But in all honesty.
If your stamina isn't so great why not work on that instead of trying to hurt a guy in a GRAPPLING tournament. Stamina > UFC Fighting slam anyday.

ive tried...and im still trying to increase my stamina...i run like crazy everyday...like about 6-8 miles...but still my stamina is super weak...im not trying to break the guys bones...im just trying to knock the wind outta him

If you run 6-8 miles and your stamina is weak, then you're trying too hard. Admittedly, I'm a beginner, but the first thing I learned about jiu-jitsu is that you make your opponent do everything. I can't even run a mile, but I barely get tired grappling. Because I make my opponent do all the work. It's like Helio Gracie used to say. In jiu-jitsu, the best way to do it is to fight to not lose, and not go in trying your best to win, because sometimes you can't win. But you can always make it so that you don't lose. I can make it a competitive match between me and someone who's been doing jiu-jitsu much longer because of the way I do jiu-jitsu. I fight to not lose.

1) Whatever competition you are doing where you are allowed to slam is messed up and probably low-level.
2) Nobody likes being slammed, and if you slam then they are going to slam the piss out of you.
3) A proper double is more of a driving motion from one side, as opposed to a lifting shot. Sure there is a lifting double but there are more effective ways to shoot. Personally, I am a huge fans of singles.

Now, to appease your appetite for destruction, I know a way to 'slam' from a single; it's called a treetop lift. Grab a single (snatching one from the clinch works great) and get a firm grip on his ankle area. Take a step away from his body with your far leg and lift his ankle up and away from him. It will yank his other foot out from under him and it will make him hit the mat hard.

To me, a slam means you pick a guy up in one motion and then in another motion you forcibly "slam" him back dow to the ground. That is not allowed in any pure grappling organization that I know of. MMA....sure...grappling no.

In most cases, a good hard takedown is allowed of course. You can shoot a double and drive through a guy. You can trip or flip a guy hard etc. You can't shoot a double and then elevate the guy with the intention of slamming him. If you end up holding a guy in the air, it is your responsibility to deliver the rest of the take down in a controlled and safe manner.

That being said, having the ability to get the guys feet off the ground or at least unweighted enough to manipulate his movement is effective. If you're having trouble "lifting" a guy of similar weight it's probably more about not having your hips and feet right than it is about strength and stamina.

This could happen for a lot of reasons. You could be telegraphing your shot and allowing the guy to get his hips down on you. You might not be getting deep enough on the guy and trying lift from too far out. You might not be getting your hips low enough and maybe you're trying to lift with your lower back.

Work on getting deep and low with your shots. Shoot from a closer distance and pay attention to the other guys footwork and movement. Fake a shot. See what he does. Do a half ass shot. Fake another shot. Half fake a shot and then actually shoot etc etc.

well i slammed a guy pretty hard on a double leg, but it wasn't intentional, his forward pressure aided in my takedown and the ref didn't say anything. so i guess go for it, but don't be surprised if you get DQed. :icon_neut

Back