shooting in Seattle Pacific university

So then why is it that in every other truly civilized nation where guns are illegal do we find that situations such as these school shootings are exceedingly rare?

I think we won't know unless we try. Anything else is defeatism.

The criminals are more likely to turn to stabbing, but someone with a knife will likely cause less deaths and is easier to subdue.

I just think we should try. Obama is a lame duck now, he's the perfect president to give this a shot.

Because there are other, more insidious things than school shootings that are prevented by an armed populace.

If you want to try a solution, how about you try outlawing "gun free zones", and promoting concealed carry, especially among teachers.

So then why is it that in every other truly civilized nation where guns are illegal do we find that situations such as these school shootings are exceedingly rare?

The criminals are more likely to turn to stabbing, but someone with a knife will likely cause less deaths and is easier to subdue.

I just think we should try. Obama is a lame duck now, he's the perfect president to give this a shot.

Ya let's try it I'm sure the feds would be more than happy to give it back to us if it doesn't work.....

The only death that matters is the death of Americans' second amendment rights. If this incident does not produce that casualty it's all good.

Agreed. I don't care how many campuses get shot up.

So you just pass a new amendment that nullifies some part of another amendment, interesting.

So they're not unalienable, legally.

The constitution was designed to change with the will of the people; I would say the chances of repelling the 2nd are about 0% and any one crazy enough to formally proposing it would end their political career.

That

True, these things could still happen, but it just goes to show that Good Samaritans can't always pack heat.

But what if shooters had no way to legally buy a gun?

They'd steal them, like this guy did.

http://www.kentreporter.com/news/244406931.html?mobile=true

Tl; dr
A convicted felon broke into a police officers home, stole a pistol and used it to murder a kid over a fight at a party. If you would like to show me how this could have been prevented somehow, I'm all ears.

I live in Seattle...and I know a lot of liberals who have CWL's and go shooting on a regular basis.

Knock off the stupid generalizations..
LOL @ "too scary of liberals..."

I'm not stupid enough to think all liberals are hardcore anti gun, but I hate the fact that conservatives don't get the same treatment. If you vote democrat, I'm not going to assume that you're a pro choice gay black dude. But if I say I support gun rights, I'm automatically a fascist small dicked neocon racist, without anyone even asking who I vote for. Just for supporting the 2nd amendment.

If you would like to show me how this could have been prevented somehow, I'm all ears.

I said in my post "these things could still happen." Reading comprehension skills these days, I swear...

But incidents such as those are even more rare. The point is, with less guns legally available, incidents such as these would decline. They wouldn't go away, but there will be less of them.

At least, one can hope. Like another poster said, the cat is out of the bag in the US, which is very sad.

I said in my post "these things could still happen." Reading comprehension skills these days, I swear...

But incidents such as those are even more rare. The point is, with less guns legally available, incidents such as these would decline. They wouldn't go away, but there will be less of them.

At least, one can hope. Like another poster said, the cat is out of the bag in the US, which is very sad.

In that story I posted, it was illegal for that guy to touch a firearm, but he still did. People that are hell bent on being a criminal aren't scared of laws. That retard that shot up the elementary school killed his mom and stole her guns. He didn't buy them legally, unless you think doctor/patient records should be public, there was no way to stop that. Except for maybe the parents realizing they had a severely unstable son living in their basement, and taking appropriate action to keep themselves and the community safe. But it's much easier to pass laws restricting magazines and certain scary types of guns, right? Rather than maybe taking responsibility for your offspring and being a decent parent, just give them a computer and an Xbox and let them have their privacy.

A security guard, armed with Pepper Spray stopped an individual with a shotgun.

I've been pepper sprayed as part of my training, and if this shooter had any other weapon besides a shotgun, he would have been able to continue killing people for a good 10-15 seconds. Possibly avoided the spray all-together since he would have had less time reloading.

The security guard is a hero, and all security guards should be armed with at least a .38 revolver. Preferably a glock 22, but that weapon looks too scary for liberals.

I've been saying all along, the best way to stop a bad guy with a gun, is a GOOD GUY with a gun.. or in this very rare case.. a good guy with pepper spray.

Need more concealed carry, and all guards should carry.

But Byron did the shooter exist before these shootings? You have to tell us!!! Spread the truth!!

You need a better argument here. Why did he use the pepper spray and not just jump on him if less if better.

So we come to which is more effective at stopping someone pepper spray or a gun?

In this case he made do with what he had which was a lot of courage and the pepper spray.

He subdued him with pepper spray because that's what he had on him, if he had a gun he would have shot him, the method wouldn't have changed the amount of innocent people shot.

That's part of the problem when you get the Rambo types in these threads, not you just the type that these threads tend to attract.

These people choose targets that aren't expecting to be in a fire fight. Even if someone is armed they are very unlikely to know what's happening until it's far to late. With the last shooter, he had several exchanges with the police who are armed and trained and ended up taking his own life. He was just driving up to people asking a question then opening fire on them, by the time anyone knew what was happening he was gone. Unless you want people to be armed and walk around every day completely paranoid looking at everyone that comes near them as a potential shooter, which would be a terrible way to live life and would end up with multiple accidental shootings, then you have to accept that more guns doesn't answer this problem.

Rather than worrying about gun vs no gun people need to figure out just why American society has such a problem with spree shootings, while it may happen elsewhere it's very rare while it's becoming quite common in the US.

While I wouldn't want legalised guns in the UK, America can't be compared in the same way. Gun culture is ingrained beyond a point it can just be taken away. There are too many guns out there both legal and illegal to just start criminalising them. There are area's that have gun bans, people can just travel to a neighbouring state to get a gun making the ban worthless. Gun control, licensing, training and rules about how guns can be kept etc are things that can be done.

Any manifestos for this one? What was the cause?

I keep hearing there were two shooters, can anyone confirm?

Pretty sure it was only one.

In that story I posted, it was illegal for that guy to touch a firearm, but he still did. People that are hell bent on being a criminal aren't scared of laws. That retard that shot up the elementary school killed his mom and stole her guns. He didn't buy them legally, unless you think doctor/patient records should be public, there was no way to stop that. Except for maybe the parents realizing they had a severely unstable son living in their basement, and taking appropriate action to keep themselves and the community safe. But it's much easier to pass laws restricting magazines and certain scary types of guns, right? Rather than maybe taking responsibility for your offspring and being a decent parent, just give them a computer and an Xbox and let them have their privacy.

You know it's funny; being the somewhat misanthropic posters that we are, we often say that the average person really is pretty dumb. Yet somehow we forget that when we say that the average person should be smart enough not to buy guns if they have a mentally unstable kid. Or that they should be trusted with guns at all.

I think we should own up to it: most people are, in fact, dumb. So why should we trust these dumb dumbs with guns? If guns were illegal, the parents of the Sandy Hook shooter wouldn't have had guns in their home. And then that little piece of crap wouldn't have shot up the school. It would be nice if we could trust the average bozo in this situation, but is that realistic?

You know it's funny; being the somewhat misanthropic posters that we are, we often say that the average person really is pretty dumb. Yet somehow we forget that when we say that the average person should be smart enough not to buy guns if they have a mentally unstable kid. Or that they should be trusted with guns at all.

I think we should own up to it: most people are, in fact, dumb. So why should we trust these dumb dumbs with guns? If guns were illegal, the parents of the Sandy Hook shooter wouldn't have had guns in their home. And then that little piece of crap wouldn't have shot up the school. It would be nice if we could trust the average bozo in this situation, but is that realistic?

As soon as you stop trusting your fellow man, you'll probably want a gun. Do you trust all of the drivers on the road? Of course not, anyone with a shred of common sense would realize how dangerous cars can be, yet people still drive drunk, drive recklessly and kill people. People expect doctors to know what the hell they're doing, yet doctors kill more people every year than guns do. The notion that doctors and cars are acceptable to society so that fact somehow changes peoples opinion is crap. People are still dying. Guns are used for good purposes every day in America, but that's not a sensational story so no one hears about it. They only focus on the bad, and a sad fact is that most people believe more laws make them safer, when in reality it just makes you more likely to go to jail.

Or maybe guns should just be illegal.

Novel concept, that.

Maybe a US President will nut the fuck up and try to amend the Constitution. So the US can join the other first world countries.

Maybe alcohol should just be illegal...oh wait.

Interestingly this shooting was an excellent example of how practical gun control measures can work.

The shooter used a shotgun, which is regulated to only be able to hold 6 shots. He was tackled when he was reloading.

Had he had a drum magazine on his shotgun, the body count would likely be much much higher.

sidewinder.jpg

Reasonable gun control regulations won't prevent shootings, but they can mitigate the damages.

Interestingly this shooting was an excellent example of how practical gun control measures can work.

The shooter used a shotgun, which is regulated to only be able to hold 6 shots. He was tackled when he was reloading.

Had he had a drum magazine on his shotgun, the body count would likely be much much higher.

sidewinder.jpg

Reasonable gun control regulations won't prevent shootings, but they can mitigate the damages.

First, that dude was just poor; he couldn't afford a secondary weapon. Second, my shotgun holds more than 6.

And bonus: that shotgun in the picture is illegal in CA.

sidewinder.jpg

What

Im suprised these "mass shootings" arent happening alot more often.

Guns do not cause mass shootings, guns are used in mass shootings. Crazy fucks do mass shootings, normal people do not kill random strangers in public. The reason there are not a lot more mass shootings is because there aren't that many crazy fucks out there.

Back