Shooting in on muay Thai guys

Kono dio da!

Giorno's Father
@red
Reaction score
Was Jon jones' excuse for not pursuing takedowns on Santos valid? I mean brunson didn't attempt any double legs on israel either. Instead he went for bodylocks and bear hugs. I know israel is not strictly an mt guy but there are strong elements of it in his game. Is it just a coincidence, was jones onto something or was he just making noise?

Not shooting on MT guys doesn't make sense, they have a lot more skill and experience in the clinch than with defending singles, doubles and high crotches.

Knees are a big weapon in muay thai so i mean ud be wise to avoid them but there also great in the clinch ..so a mixed approach is probably best..the best takedowns come from masking or hiding the entry..regardless of bodylock or shooting

Naked takedowns should not be a thing at the higher levels MMA ...other wise ur asking to be askrened or stuffed all night long like maia vs tyron

lol makes me think of this matchup.
they had rules in place that 1st round was only standup and 2nd round MMA. So in the first round Aoki just messes around, throws jumping kicks and falls on his ass and takes a bunch of time to get back up and basically drains the clock, then IMMEDIATELY in rd2 he runs at him and was superconfident he was getting him down

2.gif

I don't buy this argument. If we got Masvidal vs Askren every time a muay thai fighter met a wrestler, that might be another story.

I can't count the number of times I've seen wrestlers eat huge knees going for takedowns, only to just blanket the guy and recover after they've completed it.

Jones was just making noise.

The knees can be a dangerous weapon against naked takedown attempts, but Jones's strength is in clinch takedowns. He doesn't tend to shoot from the outside.

Not black or white.
On one hand, MT guys have good knees and kicks, which is a danger for wresstlers shooting from a distance.
On the other hands, MT implies a rather upright stance, which is vulnerable to TD.

The traditional propper muay thai stance is the worst possible fight stance to use to defend a shoot from.

Only threat to shooting on a MT guys is eating a knee. But.....timing a knee is hard, and if you miss or don't rock him you are definitely getting taken down.

Overall it is easier to take them down with their high center of gravity and narrower stance.

I mean if your shot is coming at the same angle and you don’t mix it up well, any experienced striker should make the read

Was Jon jones' excuse for not pursuing takedowns on Santos valid?
If Santos had two working knees he would've been destroyed by Jon..... Safe to say jones was sitting at about 30% in that fight.

But if you wanna see Muay Thai guys in MMA just go watch ONE championships! They got some lumpinees champs and decorated MT fighters over there getting their ass whoop and whooping ass.

Thinly veiled ‘post gifs of dudes getting decapitated by knees while shooting in’ thread.

they had rules in place that 1st round was only standup and 2nd round MMA. So in the first round Aoki just messes around, throws jumping kicks and falls on his ass and takes a bunch of time to get back up and basically drains the clock, then IMMEDIATELY in rd2 he runs at him and was superconfident he was getting him down

2.gif
Loved seeing Aoki get flattened by a run of the mill k1 kickboxer. Damned buttscooter.

2.gif
hilarious <45>

If Santos had two working knees he would've been destroyed by Jon..... Safe to say jones was sitting at about 30% in that fight.

But if you wanna see Muay Thai guys in MMA just go watch ONE championships! They got some lumpinees champs and decorated MT fighters over there getting their ass whoop and whooping ass.

Wait, you think Jones would have done better had his opponent not been injured? That's some strange mental gymnastics you're doing.

Back