"Shooting" from the knees...

We usually just roll to guard, sit out or shoot for the legs when sprawled down.

In my experience if both guys are on their knees at least one will stand up.

Isn't a spear double leg from butterfly guard (when your opponent sits back and refuses to engage) pretty much the same as what we're talking about here? That would be pretty legitimate ...

That is from guard, not from when both guys sit on their knees.

The reason you work from your knees is not because you start there. It usually happens when you shoot and miss. Wrestlers are trainined to keep attacking.

From your knees most traditional takedown and transitions that you do on the feet are still available.

Are techniques from the knees taught in BJJ? I think this is the first time I have seen a post about it.

Um, this makes sense maybe if one guy is shooting from the knees and the other guy is either up or sprawled. Really, though I see these tactics as only useful for those who want to avoid working guard passes.

With people like this I just sit to guard more often then not. I don't see any use for taking the risk of being bowled directly over my knees or ankle, I mean it's just training. I also don't find much use trying to defend and stay on my knees against someone like this. I can do it, but what's the point.

That is from guard, not from when both guys sit on their knees.

Yes, but you have to get to your knees as you shoot (unless I've learned this one incorrectly), which gives you the scenario in question for a brief moment.

Men jeg vil n

Yes to the above. But armdrags and back taking also never occur from the knees in a contest/real fight. I'll never understand the knee thing: either start on your feet or in a position.

I guarantee I can arm drag you or take your back from my knees.
Do you know why??? Because I work on it.

When we say knees we mean at least one knee is down. Maybe that wasn't clear.
When both knees are down it looks like "Dorf on Wrestling" and it's a bad position to be in.

Arm drags are super easy when both players are on one or both knees.

Who the heck are you sub wrestling with? Nobody stops when someone is pinned unless you are traditional wrestling.
Usually NIACA ( division 2 ) guys who show up at the club, pin me, then try to ride it out for 5 minutes while I fight for 1/2 guard.

Usually NIACA ( division 2 ) guys who show up at the club, pin me, then try to ride it out for 5 minutes while I fight for 1/2 guard.

Are you sure you are not in the wrestling class?
If not somebody needs to explain to these fellas the goal of submission wrestling.

I do this a lot. I treat it just as I would from the standing postion with a few changes. I grab the pants or the back of thighs. Then I put one knee very deep between my opponents legs (just like a penetration step). Then I put the other leg up outside of my oppnent. Then walk my opponent the opposite direction or to the side that the leg is in between the legs.

Are you sure you are not in the wrestling class?
If not somebody needs to explain to these fellas the goal of submission wrestling.
lol! No I'm sure man :) It's been my personal experience that whenever I fight a skilled wrestler they quickly realize that I can attack well from 1/2 guard or guard and they quit trying to advance their position and merely hang on to side control for a victory. Our club is known in our area ( B.C. ) as haviong a very strong wrestling game when it comes to BJJ and No Gi. Our coach has won silver and bronze in grapplers quest and when he makes us drill it is all out.
That's why high level guys stall me out I think, cuz for a guy with only 3 years BJJ, I can push advanced guys and constantly advance my position, reverse, escape and submit other guys. But this is well and good and off the topic eh?

That's why high level guys stall me out I think, cuz for a guy with only 3 years BJJ, I can push advanced guys and constantly advance my position, reverse, escape and submit other guys. But this is well and good and off the topic eh?

I think this is the reason BJJ guys with wrestling training are so dangerous. They are more aggresive.
When I was at NAGA last week I could tell which guys were or have been training in wrestling. They were always the ones pushing the pace. I asked several of them if they wrestled before and they all said yes.

Maybe it's because they are skilled in another grappling style.
I like the fusion, both compliment each other nicely.

Back