"Shooting" from the knees...

BobSacamano

White Belt
Reaction score
I was never a wrestler or grappler before I started BJJ so maybe this is normal, but for the first time at training yesterday an opponent I never fought with before "shot" from the knees.

We start on our knees and normally one of us pulls guard or tries a sweep or something and boom we are off and running. But this guy shot at my legs. Not sure exactly what he did after that, but I think he grabbed a leg or got an ankle/foot and rolled me to my back or he may have reversed himself and pulled me in his guard, I really can't remember now, lol.

Could I try a guillotine while he shoots? Not that I am any good at them but I was wondering what I could do to counter this, aside from hopping to my feet and getting the hell out of the way?

This dude obviously wrestled. I like shooting from my knees if possible because I'm half way there already and I'm old.

The guillotine may work if he puts his head down. But it may be tough to apply.
I have always thought that if a BJJ feels/sees the ground takedown attempt it would be very easy for that person to fall back and pull guard.

I think the biggest danger from the knees is the firemans carry. It is a pretty basic move for us wrestlers and an awsome way to get side control (plus it looks great). From what I understand it's a real pain to have a wrestler in side control for alot of BJJ guys so you probably don't want to end up in that position so keep it in mind.

Yeah, even a lame wrestler should be able to shoot from the knees. As a matter of fact, it kind of makes it easier.

Shooting when starting from the knees is lame to begin with. It's a good way to injure the other guy's knees or ankles.

To answer your question, I'd just sprawl to be on the safe side. Cow-catch his shoulders and kick your legs back to make sure they're not under you anymore.

Shooting when starting from the knees is lame to begin with. It's a good way to injure the other guy's knees or ankles.

If you are both on your knees how are you gonna injure the other guys knees or ankles fool?
And shooting from your knees isn't lame it's a valuable weapon.

This dude obviously wrestled. I like shooting from my knees if possible because I'm half way there already and I'm old.

I have always thought that if a BJJ feels/sees the ground takedown attempt it would be very easy for that person to fall back and pull guard.

I think the biggest danger from the knees is the firemans carry. It is a pretty basic move for us wrestlers and an awsome way to get side control (plus it looks great). From what I understand it's a real pain to have a wrestler in side control for alot of BJJ guys so you probably don't want to end up in that position so keep it in mind.

Is it just me, or do you subtly deride BJJ in 7/10 of your posts?

it's easier to set up an anaconda/d'arce/peruvian necktie if the guy shoots on you while you're already on your knees

I was never a wrestler or grappler before I started BJJ so maybe this is normal, but for the first time at training yesterday an opponent I never fought with before "shot" from the knees.

We start on our knees and normally one of us pulls guard or tries a sweep or something and boom we are off and running. But this guy shot at my legs. Not sure exactly what he did after that, but I think he grabbed a leg or got an ankle/foot and rolled me to my back or he may have reversed himself and pulled me in his guard, I really can't remember now, lol.

Could I try a guillotine while he shoots? Not that I am any good at them but I was wondering what I could do to counter this, aside from hopping to my feet and getting the hell out of the way?
sprawl on him and guiollotine him. Or force his head into the front headlock position as you sprawl and darce him, give him the jamal patterson, minotauro him or take his back. Last, you can pull butterfly guard and try to sweep him, I suck at this tho' and would never do it.

I love it when wrestlers think the fight is over just because I am pinned in side cross!

I love it when wrestlers think the fight is over just because I am pinned in side cross!

Who the heck are you sub wrestling with? Nobody stops when someone is pinned unless you are traditional wrestling.

If you are both on your knees how are you gonna injure the other guys knees or ankles fool?
And shooting from your knees isn't lame it's a valuable weapon.

It can injure knees and ankles if one guy is forced back with his legs behind him. If you can't shift weight or leg position quick enough, then your upper body is forced back onto your legs behind you. That can put a lot of pressure on your knees or ankles that you can't relieve due to the guy forcing you back.

And shooting when you're starting on your knees isn't lame?! WTF? Who other than a fucking noob works 'takedowns' when you're starting on your knees?! Upper body control, sure. Arm drags, sure. Guard/half-guard pulls, sure. Guillotines, Anacondas, D'Arces, sure. Shots? Start from your feet for that shit.

And shooting when you're starting on your knees isn't lame?! WTF? Who other than a fucking noob works 'takedowns' when you're starting on your knees?! Upper body control, sure. Arm drags, sure. Guard/half-guard pulls, sure. Guillotines, Anacondas, D'Arces, sure. Shots? Start from your feet for that shit.
I verily agree. If you start from the knees, pull guard or work armdrags, back taking, etc. Shooting from the knees is lame as fuck.

^^^+1

If you start from the knees one should begin with some kind of guard and the other with some kind of passing.

Shooting or wrestling from the knees is lame as hell since that scenario as good as never comes up in a fight.

Yes to the above. But armdrags and back taking also never occur from the knees in a contest/real fight. I'll never understand the knee thing: either start on your feet or in a position.

Shooting from the knees is lame? Not being able to defend a shoot from the knees is what's fucking lame.
Is grappling really becoming this mcdojoized?

*sighs*

The reason you work from your knees is not because you start there. It usually happens when you shoot and miss. Wrestlers are trainined to keep attacking.

From your knees most traditional takedown and transitions that you do on the feet are still available.

Are techniques from the knees taught in BJJ? I think this is the first time I have seen a post about it.

Back