Shogun what is next???

shogun201

White Belt
Reaction score
What is next in his career do you think he is done and what would be the best move for him?

I think a drop to 185 and better conditioning would do wonders but thats just me dreaming

205 gate keeper needs to fight Thiago Silva or Matt Hamil next

185 would be ideal if he ever wants to fight for a title again. The problem is he looks slow at 205, I'm not even sure moving down to MW would even help with his knee and cardio issues.

Matt Hamill should be a winable fight for him.

Needs a new camp. Word is he doesn't train the way he should, and based on his performances and body, I would tend to agree. He needs a nutritionist and a completely overhauled S&C regimen.

The knees are an x factor though.

If Machida loses, Shogun and him will be the next TUF Brazil coaches after Big Nog and Werdum and they will finally set their score.

Needs a new camp. Word is he doesn't train the way he should, and based on his performances and body, I would tend to agree. He needs a nutritionist and a completely overhauled S&C regimen.

The knees are an x factor though.

could not have said it any better

he's still a tough fight for anybody, he will not be on top again though..

185? he's about the same size as silva, and it is a much easier division.. he could but rua is a warrior, i think he will stay @ 205.

he's still a tough fight for anybody, he will not be on top again though..

185? he's about the same size as silva, and it is a much easier division.. he could but rua is a warrior, i think he will stay @ 205.

Shogun is a BEAST. I agree 100%. He will be back on top. Everyone forgets that it was HE that 1st figured out Machida's "elusive" style and the 1st to put Machida to sleep. WAR SHOGUN !!!!!!

Hopefully retirement. He can stick around and be a gatekeeper but he wont be elite ever again.

Thiago silva, rampage 2, or winner of manuwa/diabate

Take a year off to heal his body and get his mind together, work on his boxing (if he's gonna end up just swinging after the first or second round anyways, he'd might as well have improved boxing mechanics), and maybe do some S&C. There's way more to what your training camp is like than just who you're training with; if traveling abroad for several months and training with people that he doesn't know (it can take months, and sometimes it's all in vain, to foster the kinds of relationships where you're truly comfortable around the people you train with to allow them to push yourself beyond where you think you can go in order to improve) makes Shogun psychologically uncomfortable compared to just having his own little team, then it's very likely it wouldn't help him as much as you'd think, much less enough to start another career resurgence. Fighting is way more mental and psychological than people give it credit for, and if you're not psychologically there, it doesn't matter how physically there you are. He should probably bring in some more people to his team, though.

Shogun's way too big for 185, to the point where to drop down to MW he'd have to completely change his body type (lose some of his muscle, mainly; that little bit of fat around his stomach isn't gonna make a difference in dropping down a weight class), and I highly doubt that doing those things would help him in any major way. I mean, it might, but I'm not a nutritionist and I don't know Shogun's diet or what his body chemistry's like, but knowing what I do know about him, I can't safely assume that it would help him.

Would love to see him fight Rampage again, what a war that would be.

Back