Shogun vs Coleman, is it me or was Coleman winning that fight till Shogun TKO'ed him?

TheOneAboveAll3

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shogun has always had trouble with wrestlers and being a Machida fan I would argue that is what made Machida stand above Shogun, Machida was the better all around fighter. I believe though if that hadnt ended in a TKO for Shogun than Coleman would have won.

He sure was in there. Just gassed. Stoppage was fine imo

Shogun was in awful shape but he was winning.

Coleman was doing a legendary job.

shogun looked like shit, then he comes back and wins the title. Great story.

That was a shitty fight all around.

Shogun was coming back from knee surgery and a long lay off. Rusty as hell and zero gas tank.

Mark Coleman joined the UFC on an even LONGER lay off with a knee injury also.

I mean Shogun was never big on stopping take downs in the first place. He'd rather get taken down and then try and roll out of a bottom position to get back up. It was just his style for whatever the reason.

On that same note Mark Coleman fought Bonnar a few months later and out worked him easily with his wrestling.

Last edited:
I haven't watched that fight since it happened. I've tried my best to forget it existed to be honest.

But, yeah, from what I remember Coleman was in it all the way until the stoppage. I'm not sure if he was winning though, I remember having Shogun slightly out in front.

I remember being devastated for Mark, because he only lost because he gassed. Shogun was in horrible shape for that fight and Mark missed a huge opportunity to beat him.

I believe Mark gassing so bad was mainly due to a bad cut to LHW - he was in much better shape when he fought Bonnar in his next fight.

omg it's like you didn't even know that was the zuffa narrative from the start.

Coleman is a PED in human form.

Shogun ruined his knees and yet still became ufc champ with very little momentum coming in. he even fairly recently TKO'd a top 10 LHW who was 10 years younger than him.

giphy.gif

Cant remember Coleman winning that fight up until the stoppage but I was biased and really wanted Shogun to win after how the first fight went

And that fight was fight of the night.

Shogun was coming back from knee surgery and a long lay off. Rusty as hell and zero gas tank.

I mean Shogun was never big on stopping take downs in the first place. He'd rather get taken down and then try and roll out of a bottom position to get back up. It was just his style for whatever the reason.

On that same note Mark Coleman fought Bonnar a few months later and out worked him easily with his wrestling.
His sweeping from bottom was one of the best all time. Dem tree trunk legs

Coleman was alsways a guy overmatched with the guys they put him in there in PRIDE,it was fuckin so cool to see him finally win one,when he beat Bonnar

Yeah I had Coleman two rounds up but it was a close fight. Both guys looked like shit but it was a good scrap.

Shogun has always had trouble with wrestlers and being a Machida fan I would argue that is what made Machida stand above Shogun, Machida was the better all around fighter. I believe though if that hadnt ended in a TKO for Shogun than Coleman would have won.
anyone ever hold shogun down? his sweeps were amazing. his problem was his knees not wrestlers i think.

also coleman was a god damn beast.

Arguably the easiest road to a title shot ever.

Old ass Coleman and past prime Chuck Liddell?

i loved that fight.

they both looked horrible
one of the worst fights in UFC history that wasn't at HW

I remember being devastated for Mark, because he only lost because he gassed. Shogun was in horrible shape for that fight and Mark missed a huge opportunity to beat him.

I believe Mark gassing so bad was mainly due to a bad cut to LHW - he was in much better shape when he fought Bonnar in his next fight.

I think he had a lot of injuries also, it wasn't long after that he had hip replacement surgery.

prime Machida and shogun where handsome mofos

omg it's like you didn't even know that was the zuffa narrative from the start.

Coleman is a PED in human form.

Shogun ruined his knees and yet still became ufc champ with very little momentum coming in. he even fairly recently TKO'd a top 10 LHW who was 10 years younger than him.

giphy.gif
That gif always cracks me up. You can just hear him thinking "look at this motherfucking douchebag"

Back