Shogun Rua's best victory?

IMO it's either Machida, Arona, or Liddell in that order. If i had to pick i say Machida because it solidified his legacy.

IMO it's either Machida, Arona, or Liddell in that order. If i had to pick i say Machida because it solidified his legacy.

Slip "prime Rampage" in between your #1 and #2 and I'm with you.

I give him props for his Pride soccer kicks and stomps and of course for dethroning the Dragon but overall I've just never been that exited by him. He is a natural LHW and I think we all expected him to do well post Machida but he didn't and it has been kind of like a dud firecracker that shoots a few sparks but ends up not popping. But he was never a favorite fighter of mine so it really didn't matter that much to me.

so war shogun i guess.

Arona because it was the final of a high level tournament.

Slip "prime Rampage" in between your #1 and #2 and I'm with you.
Shogun completely dismantled Rampage in that fight. The two soccer kicks to finish it were brutal.

But i put Arona and Liddell in front of Rampage because of the significance. Beating Arona capped off Shoguns rise in Pride, and the Liddell win made up for the horrible performance against Forrest and proved Shogun was ready for a title shot.

Machida probably, but I am forever sad that pride never made Cro cop vs Rua :D

mma_g_rua-henderson_mb_600.jpg

I saw it in person, I will never forget it.

Rampage. Just a destruction. For karma, nothing beats the Machida win though.

It's still crazy to me how similar Shogun and Jones' runs were. Two young kids come in, destroy everyone and change the game. Shogun passed the torch to Jones, I wonder if Jon will do the same.

Great fight, but it wasn't a victory

It was. Do not believe anyone else. I was there. He won. The Internet is full of lies.

I think his loss to Hendo has to be it just for the display of fortitude.

His wins over Rampage and Arona

Shogun completely dismantled Rampage in that fight. The two soccer kicks to finish it were brutal.

But i put Arona and Liddell in front of Rampage because of the significance. Beating Arona capped off Shoguns rise in Pride, and the Liddell win made up for the horrible performance against Forrest and proved Shogun was ready for a title shot.
The rematch against Forrest was also satisfying to watch as Shogun bounce Forrest's head off the canvas and Forrest taping like crazy. Made me think this is how the first fight should have gone.

Definitely beating Machida for the light heavyweight title. The Pride MW GP as a whole is probably the better achievement, but scoring a first round knockout on the undefeated light heavyweight champion is his best single victory.

Back