Shogun or Wand - who had the best career

Love Vanderlei before he became Wanderlei. All time favorite fighter, but easy Shogun. He was champion Both PrideFC(Gran Prix) and UFC. All time favortie fight is Silva vs Mezger PrideFC 10. Is still have that event on VHS. I met Guy at a Joe Rogan comedy show in Dallas UFC 185 when Joanna stared her Reign. I still have all Wanderlei's Bareknuckle fights even got Chuck vs Pele Vale Tudo fight. Long story short Shogun. HahahA.;)

Last edited:
Titles / Belts - Shogun won the UFC belt which is bigger than anything Wand did. I count his Grand Prix win here as well.
Opponents - It's a wash, both guys had long careers and faced some of the most elite fighters that have ever existed. You can't nitpick this they both get respect.
Best 5 wins - I'd give Shogun the nod here as well. Wand had higher profile fights but he didn't win them later on in his career.

Shogun won a Pride Grand Prix that Wanderlei was a part of.
To win that tournament- Shogun fought and beat Rampage, Little Nog, Overeem, and Arona...

Then, Shogun singlehandedly ended the 'Machida Era', en route to becoming the UFC LHW Champion.

Shogun would lose the belt to Jones, after coming back from more kneed operation... and there wasn't another LHW champion till Jones decided to give up the belt.

Prime Shogun vs Jon Jones would have been VERY interesting.

to be fair Wanderlei did take a dive so Shogun could win the toury they didnt want to fight each other. ya know Family and all. After that toury he smashed Arona

15684dda724a8d62b1d6031f82b95370.jpg

This pic KO'ed this topic.

Imagine if Wanderlei had beaten Tito at UFC 25? Or Chuck had made it to face him in the GP in 2003. Amazing how 1-2 fights can impact an entire career so heavily

Shogun because the deciding factor is that he was able to get UFC Gold beating legit fighters. Wand’s weight and balls got him into higher profile fights in Pride but he also took some L’s during that period.

Not in his prime years. In his first 4 years in Pride Wanderlei was an undefeated champion and beat a shit ton of good fighters, and even though he technically had an automatic draw against Cro-Cop because the fight went the distance, he clearly won that fight.

Wanderlei moving up to fight Mark Hunt (another fight I think he won) was the beginning of the end, and the second Cro-Cop fight was the final nail in the coffin, IMO. Wanderlei was never the same after that.

If you'd walk the streets of Brazil and ask who's greater: Nog, Wand or Shogun, the order would likely be that.

It's hard to compare them as Wand has like twice the fights. So the warrior award goes to him. Shogun faced stiffer competition more consistently, so from a sports perspective he has a better resume. But for war Wanderlei wins.
How is it being a warrior fighting inferior competition? Wouldn't the true warrior take on the greatest foe and not numerous "Easy" foes? Not saying Wand did that but just that your logic seems flawed???

Perhaps you mean for pure violence Wand wins which I would definitely agree.

I think they both had great careers but Wand probably gets the short end of the stick just due to how weird things were when he got a lot of his big wins. Saku was the man back when Wand beat him but everyone now just looks at him and says oh he was undersized. His fights with Yoshida and Hunt were epic but he doesn’t get hardly any credit for those either. I’m a big fan of his though so maybe I’m biased but I feel like he gets overlooked a lot.

Shogun:
Shogun-Rua-Adelaide-2019.jpg

Wandi
images

Everyone saying Shogun and some saying its not close (that's crazy talk). So imma go with Wanderlei! He had the better career, he was pretty much the sole ruler of the middleweight division in his era, had an amazing win streak. The level competition gots to be pretty close, but I'm going with Wand. I feel like he had better wins, made more money, and was more popular. He fought to a draw with CroCop in a fight he clearly won, Moved up and fought a 300 pound Mark Hunt on short notice and should of got the W. Beat Hendo fairly one sided the first fight. Rampage 2x, Arona, Saku 3X, Jardine, Cung Le, Bisping, Brian Stann. They both fought anyone and everyone. My vote is Wanderlei SilllllVVAAAAAAAA

Everyone saying Shogun and some saying its not close (that's crazy talk). So imma go with Wanderlei! He had the better career, he was pretty much the sole ruler of the middleweight division in his era, had an amazing win streak. The level competition gots to be pretty close, but I'm going with Wand. I feel like he had better wins, made more money, and was more popular. He fought to a draw with CroCop in a fight he clearly won, Moved up and fought a 300 pound Mark Hunt on short notice and should of got the W. Beat Hendo fairly one sided the first fight. Rampage 2x, Arona, Saku 3X, Jardine, Cung Le, Bisping, Brian Stann. They both fought anyone and everyone. My vote is Wanderlei SilllllVVAAAAAAAA
That first fight with Cro-Cop showed just how great Wanderlei was at that point in his career. He was just an absolute monster, and could even fight tactically when the situation called for it.

Pride had an emperor; Fedor
A King; Wanderlei
and a Prince; Shogun
Hendo has wins over all of them. He was also the champ champ before that term even was coined. How dare you not mention him when mentioning PRIDE?!

I was lucky enough to watch of their careers from the start to end. I would say Shogun had the better career. Wand has a excellent run as MW champ in Pride and was super dominant during his era. But I feel Shogun performed better at a higher level and accomplished more vs a higher level of competition. Wanderlei is my all time favorite fighter but I can admit his competition wasn't as strong as Shoguns. Wand has some very good wins, Rampage 2x, Mezger, Hendo, Arona, Yoshida, 2x, Sak 3x. But I think Shoguns wins were better and he won the UFC LHW belt.

Shogun also beat Arona properly, Wanderlei won a split decision. Honestly Arona was robbed against Fedor and Wanderlei by current day judging. Shogun was also robbed against Machida in first fight and against Hendo in the first fight!

Shogun losing to Hendo make me forever hate Dan because with USADA and without his TRT and other stuff he would of been destroyed.

Wand.

Wand fought cro cop twice and mark hunt,and was a pretty consistent fighter when he was on top. He still got some big wins in the UFC when he was older.

Back