Shogun is one of those fighters that gives it all...

justapectator

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
But, with giving it all seems not enough anymore. As much as I want to see him fight, as I much as I want him to call it quits. He was the champ in pride and in the UFC, so I think it's time to look at other options because they way he got destroyed by JBJ, then getting subbed by Chael who is actually a MW fighter, and if he couldn't finish Dan and get messed up by him, and with his knees, I think it's safe to say he is finished. I really don't want to see him with brain damage issues because I care about him as a fan. I know he has to make a living, but on what expense? If he stays on this path, I don't think he will be mentally healthy enough to enjoy the fruits of his hard work.

What do you guys think? Keep in mind, he won't change his fighting style.

The only thing left for Shogun is a big money fight, such as him against Lil Nog in Japan, a fight with Anderson, or a possible move to MW (which is not very likely)

The only thing left for Shogun is a big money fight, such as him against Lil Nog in Japan, a fight with Anderson, or a possible move to MW (which is not very likely)

I agree, maybe a few fights that are not too risky.

His fighting style has looked much tighter in his last two fights than it has in the past. He was doing an exceptionally good job against Hendo before getting stopped with a punch from the clinch. I still think there's a few interesting fights for him. Wouldn't mind seeing him fight Davis, even though he lost I don't think now is the time for a step down in competition.

Every flame flickers out eventually.

But with Mauricio, he still gives glimpses of the talent and ferocity that took him to the top of both major promotions. If he wants to retire, then he can rest on an all-time legacy already. If not, he's still dangerous and a fun fight against most top guys.

And to his credit, anyone taking that TRT-bomb, from that crazy angle, would've had their nose crunched in half.

His fighting style has looked much tighter in his last two fights than it has in the past. He was doing an exceptionally good job against Hendo before getting stopped with a punch from the clinch. I still think there's a few interesting fights for him. Wouldn't mind seeing him fight Davis, even though he lost I don't think now is the time for a step down in competition.

I agree as long as he doesn't fight heavy strikers!

Honestly I thought he looked bad against Hendo. He was slow as molasses and flat footed, no head movement at all, etc. He looked good only because Dan looked even worse. I love Shogun, he's my boy but I don't think he has anything left.

Every flame flickers out eventually.

But with Mauricio, he still gives glimpses of the talent and ferocity that took him to the top of both major promotions. If he wants to retire, then he can rest on an all-time legacy already. If not, he's still dangerous and a fun fight against most top guys.

And to his credit, anyone taking that TRT-bomb, from that crazy angle, would've had their nose crunched in half.

Yeah, but he is BBJJ and to get subbed by Chael, come on!

Honestly I thought he looked bad against Hendo. He was slow as molasses and flat footed, no head movement at all, etc. He looked good only because Dan looked even worse. I love Shogun, he's my boy but I don't think he has anything left.

All he has left is a punchers' chance= time to retire!

Win or lose I'm always a fan. It's up to him when he wants to retire.

He still has a few good fights left in him.

He should just retire the guys had multiple knee surgeries and been In multiple wars. He has nothing left to prove shogun has my respect.

Yeah, but he is BBJJ and to get subbed by Chael, come on!

Definitely a low point in his career.

Having followed his career for so long, I think he could at least avoid the choke in a rematch—though Shogun's omoplata-heavy and sweep-centric brand of jiu jitsu learned from Nino Schembri leaves dudes open to certain vulnerabilities, and Shogun's always been susceptible to guilontines. I mean he stuck his neck out against Chael like he didn't have a care in the world.

But at this point in their careers, Chael is just a difficult style for Mauricio Shogun, and there's no other way to put it.

I was surprised that Forrest didn't do it to him too.

If I recall correctly, Forrest threatened a guilo in the second round of their first fight. I think it led to Shogun landing that big elbow from guard that cut Forrest. I'll have to watch it again.

Shogun's gameplan in the rematch was perfect, though. Going apeshit against a cardio-machine like Forrest is a dangerous proposition. Hanging back, exploiting the power and speed advantage and forcing Forrest to extend himself, was definitely the best way to go about it.

If I recall correctly, Forrest threatened a guilo in the second round of their first fight. I think it led to Shogun landing that big elbow from guard that cut Forrest. I'll have to watch it again.

Shogun's gameplan in the rematch was perfect, though. Going apeshit against a cardio-machine like Forrest is a dangerous proposition. Hanging back, exploiting the power and speed advantage and forcing Forrest to extend himself, was definitely the best way to go about it.

Do you think he any chance at the belt?

Do you think he any chance at the belt?

Unfortunately I can't see it. He usually looks flat-footed of late and has always struggled with bigger dudes, and 205 is getting rangier and better-rounded.

He might be capable of a renaissance at 185, but overall I expect his best days are behind him.

Back