Shogun is a Black belt.

I think a lot of people figured out different euphemisms to continue the "Pffft, being a pro fighter doesn't matter. On the street it's a different story; I could fuck up a lot of these guys on the street."-train of thought.
So they talk about how overrated being a black belt or a pro boxer or Nak Muay or an accomplished wrassler is.
Which's why people denigrate Shogun's black belt because he's been outgrappled a few times before.

Can't believe in 2017 people still buy Into this colored belt thing. Belts mean nothing. Especially in the MMA era where alot of guys train no GI then submit black belts as "white belts".

You have to consider the belt system as it is and not for that super ninja submission artist aura that goes around it.

In the martial arts world it's in BJJ that belts are the most legit. Because there's few of them and that you make them compete at color level, you have a really good idea of what is the real skill level to get for each belt. But it's all based on Gi grappling and knowledge of BJJ in the sports ruleset or in the self-defence perspective. This will not guarantee succes in MMA.

I agree with you that in the MMA perspective, those BJJ blackbelts doesn't mean that much, it's as relevant has those TKD belts and Karate belts or the kickboxing records. We've seen it with Joe Lauzon and also pretty much all the Jackson guys that you don't need a BJJ blackbelt to be a great grappler and to get submissions in the UFC.

You are the most fucking annoying TS there is around here.

Also who gives a crap about a Black Belt when he tapped to fucking Sonnen?
Chael+Sonnen+Guillotine+Chokes+Mauricio+Shogun+Rua+-+UFC+on+Fox+Sports+1.gif
Lmao. This was a a great fight

A High level grappler like sonnen doesn't need 10 years of BJJ to learn how to do a guillotine

I believe that was Vanderlei you're thinking of right?

Don't even know Wanderlei's lineage, but from Shogun's wiki

Rua and Arona faced each other in the final bout of the tournament. At 2:54 in the first round, Rua knocked Arona out with punches to win the bout and become the 2005 Middleweight Grand Prix Champion. He received a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu from Nino Schembri afterwards, a process that only took him four years from when he got his purple belt.

GOAT non roided LHW.

Hopefully he can KO OSP, the first fight was a complete fluke.

>GOAT non roided
>went from being unstoppable in Japan to losing to forrest as soon as he was drugtested
>physique went to dadbod as soon as he moved to a promotion that tests

i like you and i love shogun but lol

>GOAT non roided
>went from being unstoppable in Japan to losing to forrest as soon as he was drugtested

Won the belt in UFC...

Knee injuries hampered him more than drug testing.

Won the belt in UFC...

Knee injuries hampered him more than drug testing.

everyone in PRIDE juiced

there was no reason not to

you dont go from sweeping arona to being manhandled by forrest because of a knee injury

everyone in PRIDE juiced

you dont go from sweeping arona to being manhandled by forrest because of a knee injury
So you have no proof just conjecture? The fact that he had knee surgery and hardly trained before that fight means nothing to you? No it's because of the UFC's (lax) drug testing?

He's been a black belt since like forever, nice going.

>GOAT non roided

He was also from the same camp as Prime Wand, yeah I got a bit carried away there.

I'll settle for Shogun top 3 GOAT LHWs. Maybe top 4.

Can't believe in 2017 people still buy Into this colored belt thing. Belts mean nothing. Especially in the MMA era where alot of guys train no GI then submit black belts as "white belts".

You dont know what you're talking about dumbass.

Getting tapped doesnt mean youre not a black belt dumbass. Go spend some time on the mats geek.

everyone in PRIDE juiced

Steroids were fully ingrained in the culture of the UFC by the time Kerr arrived.

Randy (The Natural) Couture, who debuted in the Octagon one event before Kerr, dismissed UFC’s testing protocol at the time as illegitimate.

“Everyone knew it was a joke,” Couture said. “They basically tossed you a cup and sent you to the bathroom, but I don't know why they even did it. I think it was to cross off a box.”

Kerr said doctors conducting pre-fight medicals ignored obvious warning signs of his steroid use.

"I remember sitting across the table from the doctor, and the doctor looking at my liver enzymes,” Kerr said. “When you do anabolics in high amounts it messes with your liver enzymes. The doctor was looking at me and looking at the liver enzymes and looking at me. He said, 'Do you realize this is eight times the normal amount you're supposed to have?' I said, ‘Yeah,' and that was it. They allowed me to fight."

Enough of these "Only Pride dudes juiced".

Last edited:
>GOAT non roided

"went from being unstoppable in Japan to losing to forrest "

Do u know Shogun´s history?

A High level grappler like sonnen doesn't need 10 years of BJJ to learn how to do a guillotine

Spoken like someone with no mat time.
Go to your local BJJ gym and ask the old fat guy with a blue belt to submit you with the submission of your choice. He'll do it. He'll even hold you there and do an exotic for you while he figures out how to do it.

Back