Shogun interview about dropping to 185 *Video*

He looked the same as TeHuna. Same reach, height, build, weight.

No one is clamoring for TeHuna to cut to MW. Let Shogun retire at his life-long weight class. Not on a loss in an alien weight class.

No one is clamoring for TeHuna to cut to MW. Let Shogun retire at his life-long weight class. Not on a loss in an alien weight class.

not really, he looked noticeably smaller than Te Huna both during the weigh ins and inside the cage. Te Huna is a legit 6'2 guy and ripped at 205 (one can check the weigh in footage) while Shogun is a solid 5'11 (he shorter than Machida who is listed at 6'1) and looked a bit soft EVEN at the weigh in. I was susprised at the height difference between the 2..Te Huna is much bigger in terms of natural size (height and frame) than Shogun.

Last edited:

Te Huna already moved down to MW. He is headlining a UFC FN against Marquardt at MW.

They are not even close to the same height btw. Te Huna looks like a solid 6'2 and, as the poster above me stated, Shogun is 5'11.5 at max.

another thing i hadn't thought of is how losing weight will affect shoguns knees. i'm sure having a few lbs off will help him out tremendously in that regard. but he is at that point to where either a retirement is in order, or maybe a change in weight could help spark his career and give him another good run.

God, shogun nuthuggers are just insufferable. Dude wins one fight and all these twits insist he's ready to clear out the division. Lose one and he's a hobbled decrepit shell of his former self. Shogun fans have been riding this teeter totter of self-delusion for 8 fucking years.

You are equally insufferable with your generalizations.

I'm a Shogun fan and when he wins never claim he is ready to clean out the division.

Shogun post multiple knee surgeries is defined by one thing. Inconsistency. Sometimes you see flashes of his old greatness and many times you see a much diminished fighter. And only he knows which guy is heading to the cage depending on how those knee let him train leading up to the fight.

Most people who have any understanding of the type of injury he sustained would know that that is exactly what you should expect with that injury. There should be no shock or surprise in that.

Tehuna dropped to 185 pounds. He is fighting Marquardt at MW later this month in the Main Event for the New Zealand Fight Night show.

He weighed like 217 a week before his last fight.

Big difference is Jons is ripped at that weight while Shogun is chubby. They are not remotely close in size and it was obvious during their fight.

Yeah Jones has showed surprisingly light according to him to most of his fights.
Either way, Jones or not, 8 pounds is a very small cut even for the average flyweight on the UFC.

Lol which fight? Jones always looks MASSIVE on fight night.

Don't think weight is the issue, conditioning and injuries are though.

God, shogun nuthuggers are just insufferable. Dude wins one fight and all these twits insist he's ready to clear out the division. Lose one and he's a hobbled decrepit shell of his former self. Shogun fans have been riding this teeter totter of self-delusion for 8 fucking years.

What do you think the state of Shogun's knees are after 3 surgeries?

-Pre-GP Champ?
-Pre-UFC Champ?

Before you even answer that, even Freddie Roach commented on Shogun's knee problems. It doesn't take a nuthugger to make a practical assessment on an athletes limits after 3 knee surgeries, but it does take a troll to downplay their significance.

Rua-Te_Huna.jpg

Not to quarrel with you, I don't think Shogun going to 185 will help him, but Te Huna and Shogun have very different physiques.

If Shogun wanted to move down he could. It wouldn't be easy for Shogun personally because he has fought at his natural weight forever, but it is 100% realistic for him to be able to do so.

Big difference is Jons is ripped at that weight while Shogun is chubby. They are not remotely close in size and it was obvious during their fight.

Thank you. I don't why the fuck people continue to think fighters are close in size by using the argument "Well Jones is only like 7 pounds heavier!"

A simple test is to compare Chris Weidman on the day of a weigh in to the average American male who weighs 185lbs which is basically a 5'7" chubby man and then report back to Sherdog how Weidman and the fat guy are the same size because the scale says so.

Even if he does cut to 185, he'd lose to Weidman via leg check

War Shogun

Has anyone said, "Shogun can't cut to 185 because his legs are too big..." Yet?

That is my favorite excuse, lol.

He always had fought around that 213, but this 213 seems to be getting chubbier and chubbier with years.

He is a professional and he knows he should have dropped to 185 a long time ago no excuses

If Shogun was winning fights and looking great, I'd say fuck it and stay 205. Fact is that he's not, he has a losing record in the UFC and no one he has ever beat in the UFC is still a UFC LHW. Get lean and get down to 185, or just retire. Why put your friends, family and fans through watching the shell of what you used to be?

Has anyone said, "Shogun can't cut to 185 because his legs are too big..." Yet?

That is my favorite excuse, lol.

LOL I love that one, also "he must have thick bones".

Damn, all these dudes are wanting to line up and made examples of by Weidman. Reminds me of Anderson's early days as champ. Guys were stepping up to get stepped on. I like all these guys, but Weidman is gonna crush and humiliate them.

Shogun needs to start thinking for him self. Just drop the weight and switch camps. But he is too lazy to do these things. No hunger what so ever.

Back