'Shogun' hoping to return at UFC's Japan card in September

pcbh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/shogun-hoping-to-return-at-ufc-s-japan-card-in-september-060414

"Shogun" wants to return to the Land of the Rising Sun.

Mauricio Rua, who attained stardom in Japan's PRIDE organization, wants to return to the country for the UFC's event there in September, his manager Eduardo Alonso told UFC Tonight's Eduardo Alonso.

"Shogun" is recovering from a broken nose he received in a knockout loss to Dan Henderson in March and has already started light training. He should resume full training in two weeks.

click link for full article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be an awesome swan song for Franklins next fight. Easy co main event or main event by today's standards.

I would love to see him in Japan again. Hope he could get a huge KO like Wand did for his Japan return.

Would be an awesome swan song for Franklins next fight. Easy co main event or main event by today's standards.

Makes sense...annoyed at his fluke loss to Henderson though...should have been an easy W.

Shogun vs Lil Nog ll lets go.

Shogun vs Lil Nog ll lets go.

He'll be pulling out of the Rumble fight due to an injury so not sure they could make it happen. Would love to see it tho.

Makes sense...annoyed at his fluke loss to Henderson though...should have been an easy W.

Getting smashed in the face and dropping because your nose got destroyed is not a fluke loss. Even in the first fight, Hendo caught Rua before gassing.

Oh jeez. Shitstorm forecast...

I'm a massive shogun fan but to call getting hit by a hendo right hand, well known to be his biggest weapon and pretty much all he looks for these days, is laughable. If he'd have been caught by a hendo wheel kick or spinning arm bar, fluke might be ok!

Hunt vs Nelson
Shogun vs Franklin
Mousasi vs Kennedy
Gomi vs Lauzon
Barnett vs Bigfoot

Get it done.

Fluke? nah, Shogun got sloppy and too comfortable, and set himself up for that.

No one to blame but himself.

Fluke? nah, Shogun got sloppy and too comfortable, and set himself up for that.

No one to blame but himself.

That's fair enough but Henderson had nothing and won because of one punch that landed on the right spot(then gets blasted on the back of the head)...to me that was a true fluke loss but I think you're right. It was almost too easy and Shogun got too comfortable as Henderson seemed to have nothing. Also I really doubt he survives the 1st round off TRT...

Shogun really does have no one to blame but himself, I'm not sure how he let himself get caught in a fight he was winning easily. Anything can happen though

Last edited:
Really hope he makes it to that card! Was great to see wand fight in japan last year

Shogun really does have no one to blame but himself, I'm not sure how he let himself get caught in a fight he was winning easily. Anything can happen though

Yeah he was dominating that fight pretty much, he started getting too comfortable and stopped respecting Hendo's right hand. Thing with Hendo is, unless you finish him or control him at all times like DC did, all it takes is that one punch, and if you get too comfortable and a bit careless like Shogun did, it can end very abruptly.

I just don't know which matchup for shogun makes sense anymore.

Regardless if he's fit or not, old Pride stars fighting in Japan always brings shivers to my spine.

Yeah he was dominating that fight pretty much, he started getting too comfortable and stopped respecting Hendo's right hand. Thing with Hendo is, unless you finish him or control him at all times like DC did, all it takes is that one punch, and if you get too comfortable and a bit careless like Shogun did, it can end very abruptly.

I agree, I think he gave Henderson too many chances, and let him get back into the fight by not capitalizing enough when he had Henderson hurt.

You're right that he got too comfortable, his corner even warned him to be careful off the break

it would be nice seeing shogun compete at japan again

I just don't know which matchup for shogun makes sense anymore.

agree. imo he should get a higher ranked opponent.

if he gets squashed.. down to MW or retire.

Back