Shogun getting his BJJ black belt in only 4 years

kmonday.jpg

I'm offended and laughed at the same time!

BJ coming from a rich family could spend all his time practicing BJJ instead of getting a job and just training in his spare time like most peoples do.

shogun would have taken 10 years and given up on it.

Then his fans would come here and say that if it wasn't for his knees, he would have done it in a week.

Er, but he did get it.

Thus, joke = A resounding fail.

BJ coming from a rich family could spend all his time practicing BJJ instead of getting a job and just training in his spare time like most peoples do.

The Rua's are from a wealthy family too as I recall.

Er, but he did get it.

Thus, joke = A resounding fail.

Shogun = real Shogun who wins every fight easily.
shogun = Shogun who is suffering from knee surgeries, lack of motivation, not enough time to train, overweight, any number of excuses his fans use to discredit his losses.

Shogun got his black belt in 4 years.
shogun never got it but his fans claim that if the real Shogun showed up he would have had it in a week.

Does that clear it up? Let me know if you need more info.

Lmao
I'm a big machida fan but in retrospect it was a great fight. Very interesting and different from the first. Mostly because of the grappling.
Machida had the takedown advantage Shogun had the ground advantage, Machida could barely lane anything when he had him down.
Shogun started BJJ when he was 17 (Even though Mauro said he started at like 5 or 7)
(http://www.pridefc.com/pride2005/index.php?mainpage=news&news_id=474)

He earned his black belt after the grand prix
He had been training BJJ with Nino at that point for only 2 years

(http://www.budovideos.com/online/bjj-news/the-master-and-the-apprentice-nino-schembri-interview/)

I'm not sure where you get this 4 years from, but it's a farce. Not only that but Nino gave Shogun his belt in only 2 years (and it was the first Black Belt he ever gave). So take all that with grain of salt.
Nice interview thanks.

Never heard of this, that would be cool.

Shogun worked as a fashion model much less exhausting than say working as a construction worker during the day and training at night.

Still though these guys are priveleged but it took a lot of hard work.

It honestly depends on the guy. BJ getting it in 3 years when he did was phenominal. 4 years is still impressive, think about a guy like Bonnar who has trained BJJ for better than a decade, just got his within the last year.
Shogun getting it in 4 years is impressive but it is nowhere near BJ getting it in 3 and winning a WORLD BJJ championship in 3. the 2 accomplishments are not even close to comparable.

I'm a big machida fan but in retrospect it was a great fight. Very interesting and different from the first. Mostly because of the grappling.

I'm a big fan of both guys. Never understood the division between fans, i mean Machida and Shogun get along very well.

Ya his reversal on Machida was sick.

I was actually shocked at how bad Machida looked on the ground. If I remember correctly he was landing in Shoguns half guard and then letting Shogun get the underhook every single time which allowed Shogun to get back up easily. It is well known you don't let your opponent get the under hook in half guard. I could be remembering it wrong though it's been a while.

It depends more on the teacher than on the student.

Oh yeah, that helicopter sweep, it was awesome.

I think I would've remembered Shogun hitting a helicopter sweep on Machida... because it would've been one of the most amazing things to ever happen in a fight.

Using the underhook in half guard to stand back up isn't a sweep.

It honestly depends on the guy. BJ getting it in 3 years when he did was phenominal. 4 years is still impressive, think about a guy like Bonnar who has trained BJJ for better than a decade, just got his within the last year.

BJ's more impressive because he won Mundials (first American to do so too), although he had been training longer than 3 years. He was already learning from his brothers who had trained with Ralph Gracie before he ever moved to CA, that's not as good a soundbite though as saying he got his black belt in only 3 years.

I think I would've remembered Shogun hitting a helicopter sweep on Machida... because it would've been one of the most amazing things to ever happen in a fight.

Using the underhook in half guard to stand back up isn't a sweep.

I'm not an expert on BJJ but i remember Rogan mentioning it during the fight. Shogun didn't hit it, he attempted it and Machida realized what was happening and abandoned his top control, iirc.

Is that impressive?
I never see it get talked about around here. Only a year off Bj getting his black belt. He tooled Arona on the ground which was Arona specialty, and stayed in Lil Nog guard for a very long time, basically winning the ground battle as well.

depends on who is giving it out. You have places where you can get a black belt in a couple years and other places where it takes at least a couple years minimum to get a blue belt. Belt rankings are severely over rated because of the huge discrepancy in what it takes to achieve them.

Back