Shoes to wear while training boxing?

cptsteve21

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked. I know there are specific boxing shoes, but I'm not a boxer (aspiring MMA fighter) and I'm broke so I don't want to buy those.

My question is, when I train boxing, is there any other type of shoe (say, a converse or vans style flat shoe, running shoe) that is a good replacement for boxing shoes? Or is it best to train barefoot to get used to it when in MMA?

Sorry if this has been asked. I know there are specific boxing shoes, but I'm not a boxer (aspiring MMA fighter) and I'm broke so I don't want to buy those.

My question is, when I train boxing, is there any other type of shoe (say, a converse or vans style flat shoe, running shoe) that is a good replacement for boxing shoes? Or is it best to train barefoot to get used to it when in MMA?

flat soled hightop shoes or wrestling shoes would be fine if you are required to wear shoes, but if it's an MMA gym more than likely everyone will be barefoot.

I used to wear Boxing shoes to the Gym, but realized that's kinda dumb if you're poor and want your shoes to be nice if you actually get a bout. So now it's just sneakers. Same with trunks, now just sweats or shorts.

make sure the interiors of the shoes aren't too abrasive also. I went home one day to find a large blister on the ball of my foot

flat soled hightop shoes or wrestling shoes would be fine if you are required to wear shoes, but if it's an MMA gym more than likely everyone will be barefoot.

I've been to a few of the classes and it's a mix of people with shoes and without. Most wear running shoes. One guy wears five fingers.

I wore a pair of lowtop (never bought a hightop in my life) vans (one of their signature shoes that is like a slightly thicker classic) one time and my reebok zigtechs another, as well as going once barefoot.

Why would you recommend the hightop over the lowtop? Better ankle protection?

+1 on wrestling shoes, I have a pair and they work just fine if not better than boxing shoes because they usually have more grip on the soles. But being sort of a gear junkie and all I would just love to get me some adidas boxing shoes too lol.

Cheap asics wrestling shoes are your best bet. You can get them around 20-40 bucks depending on where you buy them.

Why would you recommend the hightop over the lowtop? Better ankle protection?

They lace up a little higher and are a little more snug and secure on your feet when you make quick moves.

wrestling shoes or running sneakers

Don't pay extra for fancy boxing shoes

I like to go bare-foot until I'm told to put my shoes on :redface:

Just sneakers or trainers are fine
you'll need boxing shoes for an actual fight, but are they necessary for day to day training? No

I used to wear Boxing shoes to the Gym, but realized that's kinda dumb if you're poor and want your shoes to be nice if you actually get a bout. So now it's just sneakers. Same with trunks, now just sweats or shorts.

fuck i wore holes through the last of my shoes from all the pivoting n moving and now ive been training with sneakers for the past 6 weeks.

BIG difference.
Feel like i got blocks for feet n my whole game has suffered.

oh well, 2 weeks more n my hightops will be here.

converse all-star high tops - they offer ankle support, have a flat bottom allowing for good swivel on the canvas

or

shell out the 29.99 up for some boxing/wrestling shoes on titleboxing.com

fuck i wore holes through the last of my shoes from all the pivoting n moving and now ive been training with sneakers for the past 6 weeks.

BIG difference.
Feel like i got blocks for feet n my whole game has suffered.

oh well, 2 weeks more n my hightops will be here.

They are heavier, but now when I wear boxing shoes it's like I'm floating. I wear running shoes though, so they're not THAT heavy.

Barefoot is best as people have already stated but if your gym requires shoes I'd go Vibram. I like to be barefoot as often as possible but they are the best alternative.

Training in shoes will only get you used to training in shoes. Barefoot is what you should get used to if you want to transition into MMA.

pretty sure OP meant shoes for boxing.

In that case , training barefoot will do jack shit and in fact bring your game down.

Not every post here is concerning MMA.....or UFC.

In that case , training barefoot will do jack shit and in fact bring your game down.
I like to go bare-foot until I'm told to put my shoes on :redface:
I drive to the gym wearing thongs (typical Aussie lol) and sometimes cbf'd putting shoes on haha.

Use some basketball sneakers. When i'm in the interweb i saw some mexican boxers do that.

Never really thought about wearing shoes before. Do they actually help? To what degree?

Back