Shocking: Trump is the most reasonable on foreign policy

Trump is on only candidate thats not in lobbyist pockets. I feel like he will become the next Reagan, if they let him win.

The man has spent so much time saying unreasonable things about foreigners.
Does anybody really think the words he's saying to appear electable have any truth value?

Why can't the situation be vice versa?

Not to rain too much on the parade, but we nearly went to war with Syria when we invaded Iraq in 2003, so I wouldn't say Assad has never threatened us.

Donald "I would bomb the shit out of ISIS" Trump is only marginally better than the rest of the GOP.

Ok, he's not willing to put boots on the ground. But he's willing to continue to murder through bombs. It's these bombs that create anti-US animosity and fuel fanaticism.

Donald "I would bomb the shit out of ISIS" Trump is only marginally better than the rest of the GOP.

Ok, he's not willing to put boots on the ground. But he's willing to continue to murder through bombs. It's these bombs that create anti-US animosity and fuel fanaticism.

I'm all for peace but in the face of evil and our total enemy we will have to fight. We are confronted with an enemy of the caliber of Nazism and Communism. The only difference is that Nazis and Communists were actually in govts of real countries thus were forced to behave somewhat rational and not completely self-destructive - that's gone with radical Islamists.

I'm all for peace but in the face of evil and our total enemy we will have to fight. We are confronted with an enemy of the caliber of Nazism and Communism. The only difference is that Nazis and Communists were actually in govts of real countries thus were forced to behave somewhat rational and not completely self-destructive - that's gone with radical Islamists.

WTF? 30 million people died fighting against Nazism (where we teamed up with communists to do it, let's not forget), how in the hell is this similar?

And we already know how to "fight" them: support internal forces in the region that are already fighting them (Iran, the Kurds, for example) and stop our own drone attacks and other bombing, which is what creates support for their causes.

The "we don't wanna fight... but we just HAVE to" line is the same one Bush used to get us into Iraq, Afghanistan, Iraq the 1st time. In fact, that's the line that EVERY attacking government uses to justify their aggression. We're peaceful, we don't wanna attack anyone... but they're just forcing our hands!

And they're always full of shit.

WTF? 30 million people died fighting against Nazism (where we teamed up with communists to do it, let's not forget), how in the hell is this similar?

And we already know how to "fight" them: support internal forces in the region that are already fighting them (Iran, the Kurds, for example) and stop our own drone attacks and other bombing, which is what creates support for their causes.

The "we don't wanna fight... but we just HAVE to" line is the same one Bush used to get us into Iraq, Afghanistan, Iraq the 1st time. In fact, that's the line that EVERY attacking government uses to justify their aggression. We're peaceful, we don't wanna attack anyone... but they're just forcing our hands!

And they're always full of shit.

So you doubt that ISIS (and similar Groups) are 1. our total enemy and 2. we are justified in destroying them?

Sooner or later the middle east will need to shed it's dictators and move towards democracy, that process will be EXTREMELY messy, as we can see.

But it's better that we do it now than later when WMD's are even easier to obtain and deliver.

The mistake is thinking that a shift towards democracy was going to be peaceful with everybody holding hands and singing songs. No, positive change always goes through a period of violence and unrest. Just look at the civil rights movement in the 1960's and the BLM movement now, people think race relations are getting worse, but in reality the unrest is just a result of moving forward.

In the SC debate he seemed to be the only (GOP) candidate who understood what is going on in the Middle East.

Bush made the mistake to concentrate on Iraq, when Saddam and Osama hated each other's guts. Saddam was no friend of the US but he was the enemy of our fiercest enemy. But Bush removed him and handed the whole Country to Islamic extremists. He de-stabilized the Middle East, he created a recruiting camp, breeding ground and safe haven for our enemies and he diverted attention and resources from the much more important war in Afghanistan to the war of choice in Iraq.

Trump seemed to be the only one who called this.

Also Trump was clear on Syria: Our enemy and the enemy of the wider West is ISIS and Islamic extremism in general. It's not Assad. Again, he might be a dictator and not our closest friend but he never threatened the US and he is an enemy of Islamic extremism. By removing him we would - again - further de-stabilize the Middle East, we would hand yet another Country over to Islamic extremists and would would again not focus on our enemy but on other "priorities".

Also, Iran is neither our biggest enemy nor our biggest problem in the region.

Why does only Trump understand this? What's wrong with Jeb and Rubio? I never thought much of Trump but I am really puzzled that he seems to be the most clear headed when it comes to foreign policy.

hi the Accuser,

i think Mr. Trump and Mr. Rubio are very different candidates, with differing worldviews as they relate to foreign policy - its not surprising that they'd see the Iraq war from opposing perspectives.

many in the WR (myself included) have had great fun in lambasting Mr. Trump, the candidate, and i loathe to say "well said" to any of his stump speeches....but be that as it may, i have to say "well said" regarding his take on the Bush administration and the Iraq war.

i don't know what his endgame is here, though.

he's contradicting basic GOP orthodoxy, which is that "Bush kept us safe".

maybe this dovetails with his MO of saying things that the GOP establishment doesn't hew to, but i think he's committing political suicide in South Carolina. if Mr. Trump is a master salesman, this is an extremely weird way for him to close the deal in SC.

- IGIT

Vietnam is the country with the most favorable view of the US.

I don't think there is any real evidence of this. In fact, I think it is much more accurate to argue that US drone strikes don't really increase or decrease terrorism much. There may be other reasons to stop interfering, but acting like bombing has a cause and effect relationship with terrorism is not true.

I believe Trump when he says he will talk to other leaders, work with them and cut deals. I think he will still be firmly on the aggressive side of foreign policy, but less so than other Republicans. It's probably his biggest strength as a candidate. It might be his only strength as a candidate. But credit where it's due.

I don't think there is any real evidence of this. In fact, I think it is much more accurate to argue that US drone strikes don't really increase or decrease terrorism much. There may be other reasons to stop interfering, but acting like bombing has a cause and effect relationship with terrorism is not true.
I think it can but its much more complicated than he's making it out to be. It matters who you're bombing and why.

The Russian air campaign is helping Assad rollback ISIS and I'm sure many Syrians who were facing genocide at the hands of those maniacs are grateful for that.

But credit where it's due.

hi Work Play,

in terms of Mr. Trump's statements regarding Mr. Bush's war in Iraq, yes, that's how i see it too.

credit where it's due.

the only way this move makes sense to me is that it's a long play towards the general, where he can draw a distinction between himself and Mrs. Clinton.

i think its crazy, though, and will cost him SC.

- IGIT

Even the moderate hero Kasich has basically said he wants to have a proxy war with Russia.

hi Work Play,

in terms of Mr. Trump's statements regarding Mr. Bush's war in Iraq, yes, that's how i see it too.

credit where it's due.

the only way this move makes sense to me is that it's a long play towards the general, where he can draw a distinction between himself and Mrs. Clinton.

i think its crazy, though, and will cost him SC.

- IGIT
I think he's good in SC. Checking out his SC numbers from RCP, he's been a rock there. I'll be surprised if he stumbles in the next 11 days. The people who are carrying him there don't seem likely to hate him for his anti-party rhetoric.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...ina_republican_presidential_primary-4151.html

I think he's good in SC. Checking out his SC numbers from RCP, he's been a rock there. I'll be surprised if he stumbles in the next 11 days. The people who are carrying him there don't seem likely to hate him for his anti-party rhetoric.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...ina_republican_presidential_primary-4151.html

hi Work Play,

indeed, Mr. Trump has looked great in South Carolina....he has for quite a while. still, its 11 days out. Mrs. Clinton's collapse in Iowa accelerated greatly in the span of 11 days - and in the last 11 days, Mr. Sanders has made great inroads in Nevada.

anything can happen in 11 days.

i'd be surprised if Mr. Trump is rewarded for what is basically heresy within the GOP establishment. Trump's statements on Iraq could have come right out of Fahrenheit 911.

- IGIT

Back