Shocking: Trump is the most reasonable on foreign policy

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by The Accuser, Feb 16, 2016.

1. The Accuser

The Accuser Brown Belt

In the SC debate he seemed to be the only (GOP) candidate who understood what is going on in the Middle East.

Bush made the mistake to concentrate on Iraq, when Saddam and Osama hated each other's guts. Saddam was no friend of the US but he was the enemy of our fiercest enemy. But Bush removed him and handed the whole Country to Islamic extremists. He de-stabilized the Middle East, he created a recruiting camp, breeding ground and safe haven for our enemies and he diverted attention and resources from the much more important war in Afghanistan to the war of choice in Iraq.

Trump seemed to be the only one who called this.

Also Trump was clear on Syria: Our enemy and the enemy of the wider West is ISIS and Islamic extremism in general. It's not Assad. Again, he might be a dictator and not our closest friend but he never threatened the US and he is an enemy of Islamic extremism. By removing him we would - again - further de-stabilize the Middle East, we would hand yet another Country over to Islamic extremists and would would again not focus on our enemy but on other "priorities".

Also, Iran is neither our biggest enemy nor our biggest problem in the region.

Why does only Trump understand this? What's wrong with Jeb and Rubio? I never thought much of Trump but I am really puzzled that he seems to be the most clear headed when it comes to foreign policy.

Space likes this.
  2. PrinceOfPain

PrinceOfPain Silver Belt

I've noticed this as well. It's one of the reasons I like him.
    As a non-American, I really hope you guys vote in someone with a realistic and reasonable foreign policy, and a focus on domestic issues.

3. PEB

PEB Atomic Butt Drop Champ :)

Reason being that much of the people who support guys like Rubio, Bush, Christie also believe in a more aggressive foreign policy. Trump has not changed his message right along. Trump is on the money and the military / industrial complex cannot stand him.

mike sherry and panamaican like this.
  4. MicroBrew

MicroBrew Steel Belt

Amazing isn't it, that the guy who is perceived as having animosity towards Mexicans, Blacks and wants to curtail Muslim immigration is also the guy who is the least militaristic amongst the candidates (maybee excepting Bernie) , while the so called tolerant candidates who denounce Trump as a hatemonger are infact NeoCon or pseudo liberal interventionist warmongers who will cause untold number of deaths and suffering around the world.

chardog, Dalarna3, Space and 4 others like this.
  5. Gervinho

Gervinho Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Trump is no different from any other politician. He says what he has to say now. If he gets in power he will be told what to do just like all the other ones

6. MC OverPressure

MC OverPressure I was turning my life around

The man has spent so much time saying unreasonable things about foreigners.
    Does anybody really think the words he's saying to appear electable have any truth value?

7. Gervinho

People are looking for a way to justify Trump, so anything he says they agree with they will say look he is reasonable. The thing is Trump says everything to everyone. So no matter where you stand politically, you will agree with him on something. But all you have to look is how he behaves on debates and twitter to see this man cant take any criticism and is extremely emotional. I dnt think the world needs an emotional like Trump in charge of the biggest military in the world

Mike and Kalmah like this.
  8. MC OverPressure

Can you imagine the first time a policy advisor has to stop him and say, "Mr. President, you can't..."

I was afraid of Reagan having that much power, and I'd be terrified of Trump having it.

9. The Accuser

The Accuser Brown Belt

You would have a point if his statements would help his electability in the primaries. But he got booed loudly when he said that. The popular thing to say among Republicans is what slick snake Rubio and wooden Jeb said: It's all Clinton's and Obama's fault, G. W. Bush kept us safe, we should teach Assad a lesson because co-operates with ISIS.

Trump actually said the unpopular thing which also happens to be the correct view on the matter.

2GunTommy and Space like this.
  10. MC OverPressure

My point stands and he'll never make it to the primaries.
    Sig bets open.

11. MicroBrew

MicroBrew Steel Belt

Unfortunately this is how it is. I do think he genuinely is not soo eager to wage war overseas like Clinton and the other gaggle of GOP candidates.

The POTUS does have some say to a point; Bill Clinton did not invade Iraq even though NeoCons wanted him to , but then again he didn't have 9-11 as an excuse either. Bush Snr did not invade Iraq and Obama has refrained from going into Syria. If McCain was president, we would have gone into Syria and there would be no Iran deal . Of the last 3 presidents, Obama is least trigger happy.

12. The Accuser

The Accuser Brown Belt

He already made it to the primaries. Please change your sig to "Trump is the best GOP candidate (except Kasich)." :)

13. MC OverPressure

LOL
    I retract my stupidity, plead lack of coffee, and use misdirection.
    Look, over there, an undocumented alien!

14. Gervinho

Obama is seen as weak by republicans. No matter who gets in power on the right, they have a goal to establish America as the badass of the world. So war will come no matter what. If Republicans win....the next war will be iran

15. MC OverPressure

Nah, with the way Russia has been acting, look to the endless plains of the east.

16. The Accuser

The Accuser Brown Belt

What I don't get is that most of the foreign policy ideas and "war dreams" of the self-proclaimed hawks and patriots directly run against America's interests. Removing Assad would be really bad and would strengthen our worst enemy. A war with Iran would be horrible and not only strengthen Islamic Jihadists again but would also make Saudi-Arabia (the real problem in the Middle-East) stronger. It would also set the entire Middle East on fire, making oil more expensive again.

Space likes this.
  17. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

He did have the African embassy bombings, WTC bombing, Waco, and Oklahoma city bombings --- the latter two of which I'm sure Cheney would have assigned to Saddam.

Kafir-kun likes this.
  18. Gervinho

But the people who want war have their own goal. Its to eventually put their man in each of these countries. Assad has become a problem and now is with the Russians. He has to be removed. Eventually they will get in control and get their man in. i mean its not like they are the ones who are fighting or their families are in any danger. So the hawks position isnt as unreasonable as you think

19. The Accuser

The Accuser Brown Belt

I see your point. But even "getting our man in" isn't everything. In the case of Iraq it actually did more damage to our own interests than it helped us. And it would be even worse with Assad. So even with "our man" they are still damaging America's own national interest.

20. MicroBrew

MicroBrew Steel Belt

True but none were as devastating as 9-11.