Shock Doctor $4.99 Mouthguard vs. BiteMe Heavy Mouthguard *with pics*

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by mxyzptlk, Dec 29, 2005.

1. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

I received my BiteMe earlier in the week and am really impressed. I ordered the Heavy because I don't intend on sparring without pads and headgear, and based on what the other people said about the heavyweights using the Mega and the welterweights using the Hybrid, the Heavy sounds about right for my 140 lbs ass. The fit of the BiteMe is unreal. It literally sucks on to my teeth and I have to pull it off. There is no way this thing is coming off using my tongue or any other means than me literally pulling it off. I am really pleased with this thing and am looking forward to going to class with it tonight. I got one of the front teeth painted black and the other front tooth painted gold and it looks hilarious when it's on.

Forgot to add that they also sent me back the actual mold of my teeth. I thought that was interesting...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. scorcho

scorcho Brown Belt

Nice, thanks for the pics. What was the price on the BiteMe?

3. b0b

b0b Banned Banned

Gold tooth. BLING BLING.

4. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

The BiteMe as I got it was $127 including shipping and everything.

5. Fozzy1

Fozzy1 Guest

not bad. good pics, good review, cant complain. though sadly not alot are gonna shell out the money for a quality mouthguard, their mistake.

~Foz

6. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

I didn't realize how poorly my Shock Doctor fit until I put the BiteMe in my mouth. The difference is absolutely crazy. You can sort of tell just how jacked up my Shock Doctor is in the picture as it's all lopsided and uneven.

7. Foolkiller

Foolkiller You have meddled with the primal forces of nature!

Part of the only one holistic system of systems
    A 5 dollar mouthguard is inferior to one that cost 25 times as much. Shocking revelation. :p

8. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

Yeah yeah.... :p

That was geared towards those that don't think there is a difference. All I can say is, you don't know what you don't know.

9. b0b

b0b Banned Banned

But the $5 ones have a $25,000 guarantee. I like my odds. :D

10. Fozzy1

Fozzy1 Guest

25,000 guarantee? do explain.

~Foz

11. scorcho

scorcho Brown Belt

I seriously doubt that the guarantee is that high. Eventually, I will have to invest in one of these custom guards. I did not wear braces for 2.5 years just to get my teeth knocked out.

12. b0b

b0b Banned Banned

Most of the cheapies claim that if you get your teeth knocked out wearing their mouthguard, they will cover costs up to 25,000. It is a scam.

Surge protector companies do the same thing.

13. Adino

Adino Purple Belt

Thanks mxyzptlk, I'm starting Muay Thai soon and I'm probably going to have to get something nicer than the SDr. I have so I apprecaite the review. How was the customer service? How did the customizing work on getting your color on the teeth?

14. Eric O

Eric O Amateur Fighter

Ever have a toosh break in half or get knocked out? You'd gladly pay $100 for a mouth guard if you ever did.

Besides, even if they did cover your dental bills you now have fake teeth which have problems of their own + you'll wind up buying an expensive mouth guard anyhow to protect your fake teeth.

15. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

Customer service was great, no issues. It did take a full 4 weeks from the time I sent my mold in to the time I got the mouthguard, BUT 2 weeks of that was shipping because I live on the east coast and they are in CA. Also, I shipped it the week of Thanksgiving so that delayed things further, again all due to UPS, not BiteMe.

My contact with them was minimal. I called them to ask what kind I should get and told them I want to order one. Days later, the kit came in the mail. I made the mold, I filled out their sheet with what I wanted and that was it. I wrote on the form that I wanted a clear Heavy mouthguard with the front right tooth in black and the front left tooth in gold. I paid for the two extra colors on top of the price of the guard and shipping and sent the check back with the mold. No issues with their service at all and would recommend them to anyone and everyone.

16. guardpasser

guardpasser Tudo Bem Bjj

great review
    i may get one around summer time.
    do you think it would hold up to wearing it at night, i have a teeth grinding issue at night, if it would that would save me a lot of money getting a night guard made from the dentist

17. icedog11

icedog11 Banned Banned

nocturnal mastication(night grinding), will not be helped by a normal mouthguard, the outer layer of a bruxism guard is hard to allow the teeth to glide around. You would tear up a normal mouthguard eventually. If you wear nothing you will wear down your teeth. Althougth not listed on our site this is a service we provide and I also believe bite me provides bruxism guards as well.

18. Foppa21

Foppa21 Black Belt

I can't wait to get my guard. But I'm still waiting on the impression kit and I'm halfway around the world. I'm suddenly not liking my chances of receiving the final product to mid Feb at least :-(

19. migo**

migo** Guest

The $25,000 guarantee is only if you get all your teeth knocked out.

20. KOU In3

KOU In3 Orange Belt

Wow, you beat me to an nearly identical review by about two days. :eek:

I just got my Biteme today as well and it's also replacing a Shockdoctor. How did your customizing turn out? The fitment on my guard is incredibly tight but the customization fell a bit short of expectations in my case. Looks a bit like stickers were just placed on the guard and laminated in (can pretty much see the paper and marker on it). I'm curious if you can see the same on your gold and blacked out teeth.