Shinya aokis statement

ozyabbas

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I read a recent post fight interview and it states that he believes he has the best guard in fighting (if I remember correctly). Im not sure if he meant mma or in general.

I was thinking that in mma you could strongly debate that he has the best guard but definately not the best bjj guy.

I guess it depends on what the parameters are by which you judge how good someones guard is.

I was wondering how many people aggree with him and reasons for doing so.

Well thats because he does have one of the best guards in mma.

if someone wants to dispute it - they should fight Shinya.. pass his guard, and submit him from the top (someone at his weight). Or even better.. submit them from their guard.

Its pretty obvious that he has one of the best. I was wondering if people though he has THE best guard in mma.

at his weight class, he is the best grappler..
PERIOD

he has the best guard in mma right now. he was pulling guard and getting the upper hand on JZ, who is one of the best GnP/grappler fighters there is. maia's is really good too but aoki's is FAR more effective for mma at this point.

I think that BJ penn might have something for him

damn, when he pulled guard on JZ in the second round, it was like he was going for a friggin backflip and caught JZ in his guard mid-flip. crazy.

BJ has way better BJJ. Marcelo has better BJJ as well, maybe not MMA BJJ though.

Marcelo fights in a lighter weight class than Aoki.. 155lbs
BJ Penn has great BJJ, but all around grappler? easily debatable that Aoki is better on the ground.
Aoki has more wins via submission from the ground on MMA
and Aoki has the more impressive grappling career

do I think Aoki is the better fighter than BJ? no
Aoki is the better grappler.

Marcelo fights in a lighter weight class than Aoki.. 155lbs
BJ Penn has great BJJ, but all around grappler? easily debatable that Aoki is better on the ground.
Aoki has more wins via submission from the ground on MMA
and Aoki has the more impressive grappling career

do I think Aoki is the better fighter than BJ? no
Aoki is the better grappler.

155/160 same/diff.

maybe you should go look at BJ's BJJ credentials from his time in Nova Uniao team for a minute dude...

~Foz

Aoki has an excellent MMA ground game. Very explosive and exciting to watch:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0GKneOIyXyA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0GKneOIyXyA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

But, in pure grappling matches, he still has a ways to go to catch up. He got beat decisively by Garcia, IIRC.

Marcelo says otherwise....

~Foz

If the discussion is MMA grappler, Marcelo is a long way from being allowed into the conversation.

In all weight classes, Big Nog's accomplishments cannot be overlooked.

If Aoki's profile can continue to rise stateside, and should BJ manage to win and hold the lightweight title for some time, I look forward to BJ Aoki being the most demanded match of '09. Then we can see them box for 5 rounds (advantage Penn)...

Edit: According to fight finder, Penn has 17 total fights. Aoki has 17 total fights. Big Nog has 19 wins via submission...

Nobody is lighting opponents up in MMA with his guard like Aoki. The only one you can compare to him is big Nog.

He's not one of the top sub grappling guys, but when it comes to MMA guard, nobody's really close right now IMHO.

Aoki has a lot less fights than big nog -

Nog's got like 18 sub victorys while aoki only has 8.. but nog also has a lot more fights.

Him and tores would be a fun bjj style match - and im sure you could end up fitting aoki and marcelo in a match one day if they matched up weights. Aoki is all ready pretty lean though - and fight finder has him listed at 170?? with marcelo at 155..

Back