Shinya Aoki vs James Nakashima in ONE

I think Nakashima is going to beat him up tbh. Aoki is too small to be fighting someone as big and as good as him.

I think Nakashima is going to beat him up tbh. Aoki is too small to be fighting someone as big and as good as him.

I think so but surprisingly Nakashima is dropping down to lightweight so it could even things in terms of size.

I have a hard time figuring how Aoki is gonna solve this test and not get beat up though. Nakashima was getting the better of a very physical WW in Abbasov and also dominated a huge WW in Okami. Seems to be entering his prime too, despite the upset KO loss in his last fight.

Easy win for Nakashima, his wrestling won't allow Aoki to get the fight to the ground. And the weight cut will give him a size advantage.

Close fight on paper. Nako has looked terrible in ONE overall.

I don't know much about Nakashima but how's his striking?
Looking at his record he seems to be a decision machine but he's beat some decent fighters.
Aoki usually goes out on his shield in losses, can't imagine him losing to someone who's primarily a grappler and can't KO him.

Maybe James can actually get a finish for once here. Shinya is too small for him.

Looking at his record he seems to be a decision machine but he's beat some decent fighters.
Aoki usually goes out on his shield in losses, can't imagine him losing to someone who's primarily a grappler and can't KO him.
Well, Ben Askren sort of fits that bill and he crushed Aoki. That said, Aoki is a resourceful fighter and has many ways of initiating grappling exchanges besides simply scoring takedowns. And his wrestling is also stronger than people credit. But older Aoki has seemed to be a more conservative, takedown, control, position, submission type of fighter than his younger, more dynamic self. So I don't know how this version of Aoki will necessarily do against someone he can't impose that game upon.

I think he may to call upon the Tobikan Judikan-version of Aoki to get the win here.

He has tighten up his striking with Petrosyan in recent years.
Very relaxed and composed from the southpaw stance. Not powerful but not easy to find openings neither.
I have a hard time seeing how Aoki could find his way against him tbh, outside of an unexpected rare move

What? Even in the last tittle fight he lost looked extremely solid
Really? He doesn't particularly excel at anything other than grit. His striking is subpar. He's not much of a submission guy. His offensive wrestling is very underwhelming for a supposed wrestler.

He's a worse version of Fitch.

Really? He doesn't particularly excel at anything other than grit. His striking is subpar. He's not much of a submission guy. His offensive wrestling is very underwhelming for a supposed wrestler.

If you think Fitch was anything close to "terrible" then cool, I strongly disagree

What I see is that Nakashima is very composed wherever the fight take place. Plus have the endurance and the grit.

His skill set is not spectacular but extremely effective He has taken on 4 of the very best WWs in ONE - all bigger than him - and barely lost a minut except for a low probability knee strike by Abbasov.

Except being flashy, I think his game is at a pretty high level every where... and I expect him to beat up Aoki pretty badly, or are you picking Shinya in this one?

He definitely has better stand up than Fitch.

Not that being compared to Fitch is anything to be ashamed of anyway. Fitch would beat the absolute fuck out of Aoki probably.

Back