SHINYA AOKI | MMA Highlights 2015 [HELLO JAPAN]

2:33:icon_chee

Quite crazy looking back at just how many sub wins he has, not always vs the very best comp but he's not been can crushing in the little leagues for most of them either.

Don't know any details about his contract with One FC, but I have feeling he's going to be one of those big outta nowhere UFC signings in 2015. He's up there in mileage, but only at 31 years of age. He's had some great recent showings inside of a cage, maybe not against the best comp but it's all about experience.

Don't know any details about his contract with One FC, but I have feeling he's going to be one of those big outta nowhere UFC signings in 2015. He's up there in mileage, but only at 31 years of age. He's had some great recent showings inside of a cage, maybe not against the best comp but it's all about experience.

His competition at the time was pretty damn good. It only looks bad when you look back on it from now

can-crushing.jpg

My favourite fighter :).

Looked like some shit was going down after he subbed Yamamoto, anyone know what happened?

He's been fighting scrubs since 2009ish, not sure what planet you're living on.

Melendez, Kawajiri, Aurelio, Kitaoka, Beerbohm, Clementi, McKee, Boku, Shalorus were all after 2009, not exactly push overs. Not saying he hasn't fought some complete cans but his competition hasn't been that bad.

Looked like some shit was going down after he subbed Yamamoto, anyone know what happened?

Looks like Aoki gave him some choice words when he was on the ground after the fight, idk if they had beef leading into the fight or not. It is IGF though so maybe it was all planned out.

Whenever BIG SHINYA goes into middle finger mode, it's a good day.

Melendez, Kawajiri, Aurelio, Kitaoka, Beerbohm, Clementi, McKee, Boku, Shalorus were all after 2009, not exactly push overs. Not saying he hasn't fought some complete cans but his competition hasn't been that bad.

Looks like Aoki gave him some choice words when he was on the ground after the fight, idk if they had beef leading into the fight or not. It is IGF though so maybe it was all planned out.

None of these guys are/were at the time top 30-40 fighters. The only good win out of the bunch is Kawajiri and that's a fucking joke.

None of these guys are/were at the time top 30-40 fighters. The only good win out of the bunch is Kawajiri and that's a fucking joke.

Going off of Fight Matrix (the only one I know of that ranks that far) Aurelio was 44th, Kitaoka 34th, McKee 22nd, Beerbohm had beat Ribeiro, Rafaello Oliveira, and Ludwig and only lost to Pat Healy going into that fight, Boku was the ONE champ and had a good run going, Aurelio had been a top LW for years, Clementi was a very solid vet who after the fight went on to beat Sarnavskiy, and Shalorus had only lost to guys that were in the top 10 or shortly entered the top 10 after beating him.

Not exactly the level of guys Aoki was beating in early DREAM sure but still solid wins.

My favourite fighter :).

Once the fight hit the floor, Yamamoto had no idea what to do. He looked totally bewildered.

More fighters should flip their opponent off while moonwalking

posts like these are a joke

I get that you like BJJ but Aoki's the wrong guy to be hanging that hat on.

Going off of Fight Matrix (the only one I know of that ranks that far) Aurelio was 44th, Kitaoka 34th, McKee 22nd, Beerbohm had beat Ribeiro, Rafaello Oliveira, and Ludwig and only lost to Pat Healy going into that fight, Boku was the ONE champ and had a good run going, Aurelio had been a top LW for years, Clementi was a very solid vet who after the fight went on to beat Sarnavskiy, and Shalorus had only lost to guys that were in the top 10 or shortly entered the top 10 after beating him.

Not exactly the level of guys Aoki was beating in early DREAM sure but still solid wins.

Honest question - did you bother looking up where Beeberhohm, Clemti and Shalorus were ranked at the time Aoki fought them? If you did, then I assume your omission of their rank means that they were ranked even lower than Aurelio (44th). My point isn't that those guys aren't solid fighters, in and of themselves, it's that they're not solid fighters for a guy like Aoki to be fighting in the first place. Remember, at one point Aoki was actually the #2 ranked lightweight in the world on Sherdog and I guarantee that there was some overlap with that ranking and the fights we've referenced here. If your high-water mark is basically beating Antonio McKee, you probably don't deserve to have a thread dedicated to you on Sherdog. Aoki does and always has, and something about that troubles me.

in 2009 he beated Hansen and Hirota, then Kawajiri
@ August 2009 those fighters were respectively #2, #10 and #6 LWs in the world: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/231238-combined-mma-rankings-august-2009/page/6

What about all the unranked fighters he's fought since that time? It would take too much work to list those fighters and do the research required to find their ranking, wouldn't it?

What about all the unranked fighters he's fought since that time? It would take too much work to list those fighters and do the research required to find their ranking, wouldn't it?

Hope you get that I was answering to your "He's been fighting scrubs since 2009ish", since isn't true because in 2009 and in 2010 he fought some top 10 guys ...
then from 2011 yes he didn't fought the very best but fighters like Boku, Shalorus and Clementi weren't even those kind of guys that are gatekeepers in regional shows.

Back