shins hurts after running, why?

Sounds like shin splints which is usually caused by Overpronation. Might want to see a Podiatrist to check if your ankles are aligned or not.

when i ran track in High school out coach would have us walk around on our heels with our toes up inthe air to strengthen the muscles in the shins therefore reducing shinsplints, however i never had a big prob with my shins so i cannot attest to this personally as working.

Namistai said:
Sounds like shin splints which is usually caused by Overpronation. Might want to see a Podiatrist to check if your ankles are aligned or not.

This would more commonly said as someone being flat footed. If you're flat footed, you may need to get a specific insert or a specific shoe to help your arch. Depends on how bad it is. Podiatrist is a good option though.

Thanks for info guys. My shins hurt after I run and I came home home ang googled it and I be damned sherdog was first !

is shin splints caused by excessive heal strikes, possibly due to longer strides?

I had them for a few years after I gained around 22lbs of muscle mass rather quickly. They're a pain in the ass when you're running or playing beach volley etc. in the summer.

is shin splints caused by excessive heal strikes, possibly due to longer strides?

nope, at least not necessarily. I almost don't run on my heels and I still had them for a long while.

as others have said 3+ weeks off. go to a running store get them to tell you how your running. get your stride improved

stop RUNNING STRAIGHT THROUGH. Crossfit people have a couple things right, the #1 thing they got right is running in bursts. 3 miles with 16 exercises intermixed.

This would more commonly said as someone being flat footed. If you're flat footed, you may need to get a specific insert or a specific shoe to help your arch. Depends on how bad it is. Podiatrist is a good option though.

Shoe Myths & Running Barefoot

Dr. Nicholas Romanov Pose Running Clinic Analysis (I didn't know how to embed google, sorry.)

You also are going to need to strengthen your foreleg/lower leg and feet. Remember your feet have muscles too! Study your muscular anatomy and get to work.

Good Luck!

:wink:

I feel you TS.

I can only run twice a week because of it but I found that using the eliptical the rest of the time helps tremendously.

When I first started running 5 days week I got them so bad that I literally cringed in pain from just walking down stairs after my runs. It felt like knives stabbing my tibia bones.

Just restrict running to two times a week or just do short but intense sprints with good shoes.

But make good friends with the eliptical. Trust me.

Don't keep running. You can lift you lower legs more but don't try to run through it. I tried and failed miserably to the point where I had to ice my legs just to numb the pain a bit.

Last edited:
Ive had it before,not fun.I remember trying to keep running with it too,almost had to do a barrell roll all the way home a couple times.

run on the softest surface available (like grass, not pillows smart ass) and when it becomes real bothersome ellipticals are a great way to keep a similar workout, plus running backwards on ellipticals isn't as messy as running backwards on the street or treadmill and it works more of your leg muscles.

i had the same problem i took a week of and now i run one day and ride the bike the next..... it has totally fixed the problem i no longer hurt at all.......

I've had a few issues with shin splints. A few tips that have helped me:
- Stretch the muscles along your shins before starting the run (and stretch after). I've done this by pressing the top of my big toe into the ground to stretch the front of the shin, then flexing the foot upward to stretch the muscles along the sides of your shin.
- If you are on a run and you start to experience significant shin splints, stop your run there and walk the remainder. It is always a bummer to not be able to finish a run, but in the long run it is better to promote quick recovery of the shins rather than risk significant injury.
- If you are just starting to get into running, or you are beginning again after a break from it, make sure to give your body adequate time to recovery in between runs. Depending on how taxing the run is on your body, this could be a few days to over a week. One of the most important principles of training hard in any discipline is learning to find a balance between optimal development and avoiding overtraining; running is no exception.

Back