Shinguards

adebeesi

White Belt
Reaction score
A while back I stumbled across a thread that had reviews/pictures comparing the Fairtex Pro shin guards with Windy Pro shin guards, unfortunately, I've tried and tried, but I can't seem to find that thread again with or without the search function...its driving me fucking nuts!
I should have saved that thread!!

If anyone knows of the thread...can you direct me to it? Thanks!

AC

I agree, have the Windy Pro's and they are a great guard.

i have the fairtex... best guards i've ever used, and i've damn near used em all lol

I don't own either, but looking at pics online, they look virtually identical, except for one thing...

The raised strip down the middle that is not there on the traditional guards but present on the pro style ones is not there on the instep part of the Windy's.

Both guards have the raised area on the shin part. This makes me think I would choose the Fairtex's over the Windy's.

Anyone want to change my mind? I've been debating which one to pick for a while. The Windy's are about $5 cheaper but it's not a big enough difference to make a difference.

the difference for the raised part is almost not important...you won't be kicking with your foot anyways

the main difference as I posted on my other thread is how the windy's are bare bones dense foam and canvas backing...the fairtex are dense foam and soft padding backing and heavier because of this

the windy's are light and you feel more impact than the fairtex

I'm keeping the red XL windy's and selling the fairtex's...they're small on me and I'd rather go for the lighter shin guards

I prefer the Windys for the same reason as ShadowNINku, because of the lighter weight and lesser padding. In addition, I was looking for the guard with the lowest profile and shortest length, being that I have short legs. The XL Windys fit perfectly on me, while the Fairtex would've been a bit on the long side.

I too have short legs, but they're pretty big...I'm 5'6'' 180 lbs...so I'm confused on size

I'm afraid what I get will either be too tall and interfere with my knees or the height will be fine but the straps will be too short...What size Windy's should I go with?

I too have short legs, but they're pretty big...I'm 5'6'' 180 lbs...so I'm confused on size

I'm afraid what I get will either be too tall and interfere with my knees or the height will be fine but the straps will be too short...What size Windy's should I go with?

You don't need to worry about the Windys being too tall. I'm around your height and the XLs are below my knees. The straps are of good length too, and I have no problems closing them around my large calves.

I weigh a lot more than you though (well over 200), so I'm not sure if you should go with Large or XL. If you get XL, the straps may be too long depending on your calf size.

the difference for the raised part is almost not important...you won't be kicking with your foot anyways

I wish more people realized this... I had to do an exchange last week for the Top Contender shin guards - which is considered by anyone and everyone to be a economy piece - anyhow, the guy's girlfriend broke a bone in her foot while sparring and though I felt bad, I wanted to ask him why they hell she was kicking with her foot?

Now, I do like the Fairtex and Windy shin guards - but $ for $, I LOVE the Combat Sports Gel Shin Guards - they're great for newbies and the gel arch padding on the top of the foot will keep them from breaking their foot.

I know you guys were on a Fairtex/Windy kick (no pun intended); sorry if I got a bit off track.

In a perfect world, every thai kick would strike with the lower part of the shin, but we don't live in a perfect world. Maybe they misjudged their distance from the heavy bag or thai pad OR even more likely, maybe their sparring partner didn't stand perfectly still. Sooner or later you're going to kick with your foot.

What is the difference between CSI's Grappling Amateur guards and their Premier Grappling guards?

The Large size would be better for you I think (I'm 5'10" 215 lbs and they fit alright, maybe just a tiny bit on the small size for me)....

as far as foot protection, the windy's should have more than enough....

if you want to go deep into foot protection, just know that your toes will always be exposed anyways...

What is the difference between CSI's Grappling Amateur guards and their Premier Grappling guards?

The back of the amateur is a full neoprene sleeve (which is a huge pain in the ass to put on) and the premier grappling guards have an opening between the top and bottom of the sleeve for easier access.

The back of the amateur is a full neoprene sleeve (which is a huge pain in the ass to put on) and the premier grappling guards have an opening between the top and bottom of the sleeve for easier access.

Thank you. From the photos, and color contrast, it appeared the Premier guards were like "pro" guards, but no such note was made.

And not only that, they velcro so you don't have to slide your foot in at all, you put them on and velcro the top and bottom, you can't really see it in the pic but I know because we sell them at my gym

Premier Grappling Shin-Instep Guard from Combatsports.com

Back